The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    I am not meaning to be rude by my next statement, but any 2005 model vehicle that is being sold by a dealership is being unloaded. It was a trade in, almost certainly, and the dealership really doesn't want to deal with a car that is 9 years old. So of course they were trying to unload it.
    I'm not trying to be rude, but if a dealer was really trying to unload something that was not decent enough for the lot, it would be off to the auction or wholesaler with all the other junky trades they took in. Not every trade is retail material. That's not to say some dealers do not have low standards for their retail cars, but what you said is misinformation at best.

3 members found this post helpful.

If it is your alternator -

in all fairness, that is one of those things that doesn't really warn you that it is starting to circle the drain until the drain is actually in sight. Most, but not all cars do have a warning light now so you don't get stuck in the middle of nowhere with a car that is starting to lose power at an alarming rate.

If you've got a 9-year-old car, it is entirely possible that it's just due for a new alternator - drive a car long enough and it will need one eventually. The bad news is that you can't avoid having the work done, but the good news is that it's not insanely expensive if you know where to take the car. I had the one in my 2001 Camry replaced earlier this year and it was just shy of $300, parts and labor.

Also this is why, when I got my new-to-me Honda Element a month ago, I used a broker service we knew well. The car does not have a lot of mileage on it, but it is a 2006. The broker we use also has (as their main business) a mechanic's shop; when they find a car for a customer, it gets a thorough going-over. If they find problems, they'll either negotiate the selling price down and fix the car, OR they will send it back. My guy sent two back before he was happy with the one I have now, and I have peace of mind. The starter did start to go within a week of picking it up, but they replaced it for me at no charge.

Soloudinhere, I think we said the same thing, that the model should sell well in the area.

But car dealers NEVER want to keep cars on the lot. They may want to keep them in stock so as to have them for sale, but every car on the lot is for sale for a price.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    See if there is a 'Lemon Law' in your state and if it covers used vehicles.

If you have a mechanic that you TRUST, ask him to look over the vehicle and determine what else might be wrong.

Battery is probably the original so you are probably out of luck on that, but that's not a big expense. Since the vehicle was sold to you with a working CD player, that should be covered under the used car warranty IF there was one when you bought the car. I think most reputable dealers do offer a limited warranty on used vehicles that would go for a certain length of time and/or milage, whichever comes first. At least I think that's the practice here in NY.

Rather than make another call, drive over to dealership and speak with the saleman that sold you the car. That might produce some help. Remember to take your bill of sale.

Good luck.
    Lemon laws only apply to new cars in most states.

When buying a used car, there is no way to predict what will happen in any given time period. That's why they offer used car "warranties"/Extended service protection plans. I guarantee the finance dept offered one.

Agree the battery, if original, needs to be replaced. Easy to tell as the date of the battery is noted on top.
    If it is old, then yes Auto-Zone or Sears or another company that warranties their batteries is where you should go. You may pay a bit more now, but it is better in the long run.
    If the battery is fairly new, then have the alternator and alternator belt checked. The alternator is required to recharge the battery and if it is failing, the battery will go dead. Not that expensive to have the alternator replaced, but make certain to have the belt checked.

Check the warranty papers for your recourse with the CD player. You may be able to discuss this with the dealership - pay them to do the battery and/or alternator work and see if they will repair the CD player at no charge. If they won't, then as others have noted - replacement audio systems are "fairly inexpensive". Check out Sears and Best Buy - they have the people to install the new system. Walmart/Sams and other such stores also carry audio systems and probably have someone to do the installation.

Put a few dollars over for oil changes, new tires and other repairs. Used cars normally require around 1-2K in repairs/maintenance for the first several years. Make certain to have the oil changed frequently at a reputable company. They normally check all other fluids and tire pressure which will help to keep your car running properly. We buy our tires from Sears, because there are Sears stores all over the country which makes tire replacement much easier. Get the road hazzard warranty, that way if the tire is damaged, Sears will replace it at a pro-rated price. It has served us well.

Good luck
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    If it has a CD player it doesn't mean it's a working CD player.

Don't you know that used car salesmen are the successors to horse traders, and those were notorious for concealing defects however they can?
    Most people in the car business are honest. Tell me how the dealership Hid a battery that was fine one day and went out the next. And most salespeople don't bring CD's to work to try in every car they sell. It may have worked when they took it in trade or bought it.
    \
    Just saw the post from OP stating that because of her credit, she couldn't get the extended service plan... She may not have been able to add it into her loan due to debt to income, or low dn pmt, but she most definitely could have purchased one and not financed it into the car loan.

If I were you, I would drive up to the dealership and demand a word with the sales manager. Talking to the sales rep is useless - once the car is out, he/she has no intention of incurring any trouble from it, and they have no power whatsoever fixing whatever issues you have. The only ones who do are the managers.

The CD player should be in working order. The battery I don't care how old that vehicle is, should be in working order too. Two weeks into ownership and it died isn't right. It is fairly simple on dealership's side to test the battery and give you a warning before you purchase it.

Two years after buying my brand new 2009 Matrix the battery died randomly. I had not left the lights on anything like that. It just died. No sign it was going. New battery installed and all was well.
    What I am saying is batteries do that. Even with new(er) cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
    If I were you, I would drive up to the dealership and demand a word with the sales manager. Talking to the sales rep is useless - once the car is out, he/she has no intention of incurring any trouble from it, and they have no power whatsoever fixing whatever issues you have. The only ones who do are the managers.

The CD player should be in working order. The battery I don't care how old that vehicle is, should be in working order too. Two weeks into ownership and it died isn't right. It is fairly simple on dealership's side to test the battery and give you a warning before you purchase it.
    The battery worked when she drove off the lot. They can go out with no warning.

That's why I always buy FORDS! I have a 1999 explorer. Just had to replace the battery this year. Everything works.

2005 F-150 is just like new. Had to replace the tires last year for the first time.

2009 Hundai -- aarrgghhh! Have had to do more with it than the other 2 older vehicles. I do like it though. But I DO NOT take it to Hundai to get it serviced, I take it to my Ford Dealer. Took it to Hundai just once, early on, they were rude, arrogant and treated me as if I were an idiot. I've never gone back. My Ford Dealer, on the other hand, is always helpful, go the extra yard and are extremely friendly. Customer service there is tops.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    That's why I always buy FORDS! I have a 1999 explorer. Just had to replace the battery this year. Everything works.

2005 F-150 is just like new. Had to replace the tires last year for the first time.

2009 Hundai -- aarrgghhh! Have had to do more with it than the other 2 older vehicles. I do like it though. But I DO NOT take it to Hundai to get it serviced, I take it to my Ford Dealer. Took it to Hundai just once, early on, they were rude, arrogant and treated me as if I were an idiot. I've never gone back. My Ford Dealer, on the other hand, is always helpful, go the extra yard and are extremely friendly. Customer service there is tops.
    Interesting how experiences vary.

I know many people with Fords who are on their second transmissions and they've yet to hit 100K on the odometer. My longtime mechanic is fond of saying that Ford transmissions put all 3 of his kids through college.

(My family will never, ever, EVER own a Ford, not even if someone gives us a brand new one for free. Not after the fiasco with DH's one and only attempt to buy American and how he was treated by a local mega-Ford dealership. Very bad juju. We'll walk before we'll have a Ford).

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post

I know many people with Fords who are on their second transmissions and they've yet to hit 100K on the odometer. My longtime mechanic is fond of saying that Ford transmissions put all 3 of his kids through college.

(My family will never, ever, EVER own a Ford, not even if someone gives us a brand new one for free. Not after the fiasco with DH's one and only attempt to buy American and how he was treated by a local mega-Ford dealership. Very bad juju. We'll walk before we'll have a Ford).
    I am 100% with you. I tell everyone what junk my 2012 Ford Focus was. And the fact that I lost $10k in 18 months to depreciation seems to affirm that the market agrees with me.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

Bedazzle--look.at it this way: you wouldn't buy a horse without prepurchase exam, would you? (I surely wouldn't.) Well, it's the same thing with a car. You should have had a mechanic you trust look at it to check for defects. The CD is on you, easy enough to check. As with looking at a horse to buy--never hurts to take someone with you who knows more than you do.

Any time I buy a battery I get the one that's supposed to last five years and guess what? You can tell when the five years is up, almost like clockwork! Cold weather is murder on batteries--if it's going to go this weather just pushes it over the edge!

If you didn't take it to a mechanic before purchasing I would do so now to have them check out the tires, belts and hoses--maybe take it for a test drive and make sure it's properly Winterized. The last thing you need is to be stranded alongside the road at night in this weather.

Welcome to the wonderful world of automobile ownership!
    "Good gardening is very simple, really. You just have to learn to think like a plant." ~Barbara Damrosch~

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post

Apart from weird wear patterns, durability of tires has very little to do with the brand of the vehicle and a lot to do with the quality of the tires. Just saying.

Hatfield just called and they will be replacing my cd/radio with an after market cd am/fm radio. I'm ecstatic about the results. Fyi per a few recommendations I had removed the Facebook post and instead just messaged them. Very pleased.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post

Different stroke for different folks. I own three Fords and love them...but they are larger models too. Smallest I would go would be the Escape.
    Proud Member of the "I Don't Do Facebook" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    I am 100% with you. I tell everyone what junk my 2012 Ford Focus was. And the fact that I lost $10k in 18 months to depreciation seems to affirm that the market agrees with me.
    Gotta say, I do hate the Focus. Drove a brand new one as a rental, and old or new, hate that particular model.
    Proud Member of the "I Don't Do Facebook" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    Lemon laws only apply to new cars in most states.

When buying a used car, there is no way to predict what will happen in any given time period. That's why they offer used car "warranties"/Extended service protection plans. I guarantee the finance dept offered one.
    Some states have a price limit and it must be bought through dealer. In NY I think the limit was about $3 or 4000.

Quote Originally Posted by Christa P View Post
    Some states have a price limit and it must be bought through dealer. In NY I think the limit was about $3 or 4000.
    NY doesn't cover batteries, or radios/accessories.

Just wanted to update. I got the new radio put in, and not a single issue since. Even when the weather was -10, the car started right up. So it was for sure and issue with the radio draining the battery, when an CD was inserted but unable to play. Apparently a common issue with the 2005 Tucson, but not one you would know about without searching specifically for it.

The dealership paid for the new radio/

2 members found this post helpful.