The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bought a Used Car - Issues

I bought a used car about two weeks ago (16 days exactly). I financed, and because I am a slightly higher risk due to credit, get to a pay a bit more - no big deal I accept that. However, after spending 5 hours going over everything in the dealership and being given info about the car - I have a few issues with it that I just discovered.

By the way, this isn't a small dealership where you would expect some shady business. This is Hatfield Hyundai - the Automall in central Ohio.

Here is the message I left on their Facebook page, after receiving a disappointing reply over the phone.

"Very disappointed with the response I just received today. I purchased a used 2005 Hyundai Tucson two weeks ago, and I really enjoy it. It was advertised and shown to me as in good working condition, with a CD player, air conditioning, power locks, etc. On Friday (3 days ago) I decided to put a CD in the player for the first time. It accepted it, but then didn't play it. I pressed the CD button, and it says "No CD". It will not eject the CD either. I left a message at Hatfield Hyundai on Friday afternoon about this issue.

I did not receive a response over the weekend, and I was fine with that. However, this morning - Monday - I went to start my Tucson, and it wouldn't start. The battery was dead. I did not leave my headlights on, there were no interior lights left on, and the door was not ajar. There is not a clear reason why the battery was dead.

I put in a call today and was told my car, which is less than two weeks old for me, would need to be serviced at my expense. If it needed a new battery, or the CD player was broken - I would have to pay for it.

This is absolutely unacceptable, and not how you make a repeat customer. The tag on the car clearly stated that it has a CD player, yet this one does not work. I hope someone at Hatfield can make this right. This is my first car buying experience, and I hoped it would be a positive one."

The first payment on the car is not even due yet. I put about $1,000 down on the used car (under 10k total). What are my options? I want to be more informed once I start making a real stink about this.

I would not be airing your dispute with the dealership on Facebook. That will not make them more eager to work with you.

5 members found this post helpful.

See if there is a 'Lemon Law' in your state and if it covers used vehicles.

If you have a mechanic that you TRUST, ask him to look over the vehicle and determine what else might be wrong.

Battery is probably the original so you are probably out of luck on that, but that's not a big expense. Since the vehicle was sold to you with a working CD player, that should be covered under the used car warranty IF there was one when you bought the car. I think most reputable dealers do offer a limited warranty on used vehicles that would go for a certain length of time and/or milage, whichever comes first. At least I think that's the practice here in NY.

Rather than make another call, drive over to dealership and speak with the saleman that sold you the car. That might produce some help. Remember to take your bill of sale.

Good luck.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

2 members found this post helpful.

Check your paperwork to see if there's a warranty and what's covered in it. Most places will give their used vehicles a 30 to 90 day/few thousand miles warranty bumper to bumper. If there is coverage, physically go there with the paperwork in hand and describe the problems.

Also check to see if your state legislates anything in regards to used vehicles and warranty coverage/lemon laws.

3 members found this post helpful.

What a bummer! I'm sorry you're going through this.

A couple of things:

What are the terms spelled out on your bill of sale? Was the car sold "as is"? If so, you are probably out of luck since by signing the purchase agreement, you accepted the terms. "As is" unfortunately means just that - the car was bought in the condition it was in - period.

Is there a warranty period that came with the car from the dealership? And if so, what exactly is covered under the warranty? Usually things like batteries are not covered so you'll most likely not get a new battery from them. The CD player? Well, the sale info. stated that there was a CD player - and there is one. However, they may try to get out of fixing it (the sales info. probably didn't state specifically that there is a "working" CD player)! Shady business practice to say the least.

It's a hard lesson to learn but there are many *less than ethical* used car dealerships out there. Sounds like you may have fallen into one.

Good luck with this. Hopefully you're not on a path with a *self-destructing* old car.

I believe it will vary state to state.

I feel your pain but honesty I don't think there is much you can do. We have the lemon law which only covers you if something is wrong with the car that would prohibit it from getting a inspection sticker. Unless you got a newer car that was still under warranty OR they have you an option for a warranty and took it.

I'm a college student. Worked my buns off over the summer to get 4 grand together. I went in and bought a $18k Nissan maxima. Was just what I was lookin for, to the tee.

First week - engine light, slip lights and power steering all came on. Brought it in and they fixed whatever it was.
    Week two - Battery unexpectly dies. Bring it to mechanic and that's because it's completly eroded. My expense
    Week 5 - My push start and controllers don't work. I don't get a response. It also makes a terrible sound when you first start it up. Steering wheel has no power to move it etc etc. Told me all well.. if you want to make the drive here it'll be your expense.

I don't have this money because I just put it into the car 2 months ago! It's a real kick in the ass that's for sure.

Doesn't it have to have serious problems to fall under the Lemon Laws? That's pretty crappy, OP, but if you don't have a written warranty/guarantee they are not obligated. I agree the battery was probably the original and is just due for replacing. Also, I wouldn't have put it on their Facebook page yet, either. Lesson here is make sure you test out everything before you commit to a used vehicle.
    Quarry Rat

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm not sure how airing my complaint on their facebook page would make them less likely to work with me. I spoke politely over the phone to the salesman that sold me the car, and I was told that I would "absolutely" have to cover any issues out of pocket with the car. Because of my credit, I was not offered a warranty plan. It appears I will be SOL, but that doesn't sit right with me.

I am fine with replacing a battery if it needs it, however I don't feel I should have to repair a CD player that doesn't work when the salesman made a grand statement about it when showing me the car. "This car even has a CD player!!"

I am not trying to get out of paying for this car, or trying to unload it. I really like it! I just don't want to be paying for repair bills two weeks after buying a car.

That's why they sell those aftermarket warranties. They're a waste of money, except that mine paid for itself when the auto door lock on one door quit.

For the amount of money you spent I'd be upset too, but you really don't have a lot of recourse for things that aren't major, like a specific recurring unfixable problem. Yours sound like electrical snakes, those are notoriously hard to fix and affect something different every time it seems like.
    Each state has lemon laws that are different, you'll have to look yours up.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

If it has a CD player it doesn't mean it's a working CD player.

Don't you know that used car salesmen are the successors to horse traders, and those were notorious for concealing defects however they can?
    Incredible Invisible

4 members found this post helpful.

The battery is likely just due to be replaced. It gets very cold up here at times and we typically replace the battery every other year in our SUV's due to that.

Well the reason I was getting a bit panicky was because I found this page this morning and it had me wondering if this was a known issue and they were trying to unload this vehicle.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/dir...ew/.f189cfc/50

That was probably the original battery and overdue to be replaced, that's just typical maintenance like brakes and tires really. Probably could have gotten a new one out of them for the sale but now that it's left the lot....... I hope those are the only issues you end up having with the car, they're both pretty simple. I purchased a used Ford Explorer (after trading in my faithful one that had 240k on it, I bought it with 23k)....I bought the aftermarket warranty that lasted for 20k miles...at 25k it all started kicking in..I have replaced the alternator, replaced THREE of four wheel bearings, front rotors, back rotors (and brake pads), all new plugs and wires and a transmission!!!!!!!!! You can use that to maybe make yourself feel better ;-)
    Kerri

Look through your paperwork. I know in NJ you have to sign a form acknowledging the terms of warranty (which could be "as is" or anything else). Check on the dealer website and see if it says anything about "certified" used car garauntees. Most dealers offer some sort of program like this for cars they sell that are outside the manufacturers parameters for certification.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedazzle View Post
    I am fine with replacing a battery if it needs it, however I don't feel I should have to repair a CD player that doesn't work when the salesman made a grand statement about it when showing me the car. "This car even has a CD player!!"
    I'm sorry that you're out the money, but if you didn't test the CD player before you bought the car, you may have no recourse. I bought a used car in 2006 that had a broken CD player, but I discovered that before I bought the car--and got it in writing, from the sales manager, that it would be replaced at no charge within 2 weeks. It was. As soon as you sign that as-is where-is contract with no repair warranty, all bets are off for minor repairs. It's like buying a horse without a PPE and signing the bill of sale: if the horse throws a shoe 10 minutes later, it's your problem.

I am not trying to get out of paying for this car, or trying to unload it. I really like it! I just don't want to be paying for repair bills two weeks after buying a car.
    Dead batteries are a routine maintenance thing. Did you have the battery tested by a mechanic, or a local auto store (most do it for free), before you bought it? Again, this is an issue you probably could have negotiated before the sale, but now it's probably too late.

Now I'll try to say something helpful: AutoZone has a 20% off one item in-store coupon at the moment, and they will replace your auto battery for free while you wait. Call your local AutoZone to confirm stock, get someone to give you a jump, and off you go.
    http://slickdeals.net/f/6518936-auto...item-in-stores

I am not meaning to be rude by my next statement, but any 2005 model vehicle that is being sold by a dealership is being unloaded. It was a trade in, almost certainly, and the dealership really doesn't want to deal with a car that is 9 years old. So of course they were trying to unload it.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    I am not meaning to be rude by my next statement, but any 2005 model vehicle that is being sold by a dealership is being unloaded. It was a trade in, almost certainly, and the dealership really doesn't want to deal with a car that is 9 years old. So of course they were trying to unload it.
    Fair enough. Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess I will just let this slide and deal with the fact that I got a deal that wasn't perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedazzle View Post
    Fair enough. Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess I will just let this slide and deal with the fact that I got a deal that wasn't perfect.
    I read through the issues thread that you found. I think your best option is going to be to purchase a new battery, pull the fuse for the power locks like recommended, and look into buying a new stereo. It's not horribly uncommon to have to replace audio equipment in a car that is 9 years old. What was current 9 years ago is dated now, and that's a lot of use for a CD player. You can get a replacement relatively inexpensively.

2 members found this post helpful.

If they want to "unload it" they send it to the auto auction. They keep them on the lot when they are especially clean or lo miles or a popular model for the area.
    They'll buy from the auto auction or make trades with same model dealerships, you name it they'll do it. Around here they are forever claiming Florida trade-ins - well I don't think there have been that many cars ever registered in FL.

The whole point of having cars on the lot is to unload, ie sell them.
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    If they want to "unload it" they send it to the auto auction. They keep them on the lot when they are especially clean or lo miles or a popular model for the area.
    They'll buy from the auto auction or make trades with same model dealerships, you name it they'll do it. Around here they are forever claiming Florida trade-ins - well I don't think there have been that many cars ever registered in FL.

The whole point of having cars on the lot is to unload, ie sell them.
    Not necessarily. If they overvalued the trade to make a deal on a new car, they may keep it on their lot to try to sell it for better than wholesale, before shipping it to auction. It's a 4wd car, in winter, in a snowy area, so they have a better shot at retailing it. That doesn't mean they want to keep it, however, since a 9yo model is a tough sell.