The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default frozen chicken breasts?

Anyone have good suggestions for what to do with frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts? I like to get them for SO to make while I am at work, because it's easy to make just a couple of pieces. But SO is not an experienced cook, so we have been limited to chicken baked with veggies, and he just dumps on seasonings he likes. I'd like to get some easy recipes for oven or crockpot so we can get some variety.
    The hooves of the horses! Oh witching and sweet is the music earth steals from the iron-shod feet. Will Ogilvie

Chicken breasts don't do that great in the crockpot I have found.

Stir frys are easy

http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/...delicious.html
    The Knotted Pony

Proud and upstanding member of the Snort and Blow Clique.

You can't go wrong with a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce. Layer in a crock pot with the breasts and let it go all day on low.

Or dump all the ingredients for chili (minus the meat) in with the breasts and let go on low all day.

1 members found this post helpful.

One of my go-to recipes for chicken breasts is Souvlaki. It's easy and tasty. I use skewers, but you can easily just throw the chicken pieces and vegetables into a cast iron skillet with oil and pan-fry to a golden crisp.

Marinade:
    3 T fresh lemon juice
    ½ t dried oregano (1.5 tsp fresh chopped)
    2 t olive oil
    1/2 t salt
    4 garlic cloves minced

1/2-1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces
    1 red onion
    1 red pepper

In a zip-lock bag, combine lemon juice, oregano, olive oil, salt, and garlic. Shake.

Add chicken, seal and shake to coat. Marinate in fridge 30 minutes, turning once. Discard marinade.

Thread chicken, onion, and pepper onto skewers.

Heat grill pan, add oil.

Add skewers, cook 8 minutes or until chicken is done, turning once.

And for fun, here is a great tzatziki recipe to complement your Souvlaki (I fiddled with this sauce for years before finally making it as well as the local Mediterranean food shops/restaurants) :

3 T olive oil
    1 T Vinegar
    2 cloves garlic, minced finely
    1/2 t salt
    1 C greek yogurt
    1 C sour cream
    1/2 cucumber juiced: peel, de-seed, grate the flesh, squeeze juice from gratings, discard gratings

Strain yogurt and sour cream on coffee filter-lined strainer over bowl, cover, refrigerate overnight.
    Combine olive oil, vinegar, garlic, and salt in a bowl. Whisk until well combined.
    Whisk to blend sour cream and yogurt. Slowly add olive oil mixture to taste.
    Add cucumber juice a drop at a time to taste- be careful as cucumber is an overwhelming flavor.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    I think chicken breasts do great in the crock pot - come out tender and delicious!

Here's a good site for easy, tasty recipes:

http://www.thecountrycook.net/p/recipe-index.html

3 members found this post helpful.

I have great success with the crockpot and chicken!

My favorite recipe is Moroccan chicken and lentils. Layer baby carrots at the bottom of the crockpot. Add a 1.5 cups of dried lentils. Stick in 1.5lb chicken breast (I actually use less, but A) I'm not a huge meat eater and B) I live alone). Season to taste with garlic, salt, and Moroccan rub (or, if you can't find that, use a mix of tumeric, red/chili pepper, and cinnamon). Pour in 32oz of chicken broth. Cook on high for up 5 hours, or on low for 8ish. Good stuff.

And this is a recipe a friend SWEARS by. I think I might give it a try this week. She says she adds a packet of ranch seasoning.

Quote Originally Posted by twotrudoc View Post
    Mine do wonderful! But! You must brine them first!

More on this:
    http://busycooks.about.com/od/chicke...okchixbr_2.htm
    And ~
    http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/how-to-brine-chicken/

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I finally made the crockpot chicken & salsa recipe everyone posts whenever a crockpot thread gets started.
    D-Lish!

And could NOT be simpler:

Toss frozen chicken breast (I used thighs) into the crockpot
    Add a jar of your favorite salsa < I used a medium-hot and most of the heat cooked away
    Cook on Low 6-8 hours
    Shred chicken and serve in tortillas or over rice
    Nice add-ons are some chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, avocado & sour cream
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

2 members found this post helpful.

The old standby:

Chicken breasts
    Sliced onion
    Cream of mushroom soup

Layer in casserole dish in order above and cook at 350 until done. About 30 minutes depending on how thick the chicken is and if the chicken is frozen when you start.

You can add sliced mushrooms, red/green peppers and substitute cream of celery or cream of chicken soup.

We normally serve over rice. In the rice section are the little microwave packs of rice that only take 90 seconds to nuke. I like the Jasmine or Basmati.

I buy the 5 oz average Perdue frozen breasts at CostCo and do not thaw before I cook the above recipe.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Not crockpot, but easy. Thaw your chicken before you proceed. You can use split chicken breasts also-that's chickien breast on the bone. They are cheap and you can eat them with your hands Just increase cooking time by 5 minutes, and internal temp is 165.

GARLIC CHICKEN

INGREDIENTS:
    2 teaspoons crushed garlic
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
    2. Warm the garlic and olive oil to blend the flavors. In a separate dish, combine the bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Dip the chicken breasts in the olive oil and garlic mixture, then into the bread crumb mixture. Place in a shallow baking dish.
    3. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until no longer pink and juices run clear.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Here's a super easy/simple one that I think is delicious (though not very exotic...).

Cover the breasts in olive oil (both sides) and sprinkle pepper and garlic salt on them (both sides), bake uncovered (I usually use a glass pyrex) at 350 for 30 minutes.

It's about all the cooking the fiancé can handle, and it never fails to be delish!

First off, I don't recommend putting frozen meat in the crock pot. You run the risk of bacteria growing as parts defrost faster than others but does not heat up quick enough to kill the bacteria. I would google it for more information.

I find many great recipes on www.allrecipes.com.

I prefer chicken thighs for this dish, but breasts could worktoo.
    basically I throw this all in a pot and slow cook or put in the oven for an hour or so.
    it's chicken pieces--bone and skin add a LOT of flavor btw
    a few red and yellow peppers all sliced up--I don't use green because the flavor is too strong...
    fresh or canned mushrooms
    a can of tomato paste
    can of chicken broth
    I sometimes add oregano, sometimes garlic and sometimes both, depending upon my mood
    red or white wine can be added or you can drink some while waiting for it to cook.

cook til bubbly and hot and serve hot over egg noodles or rice.

Pre-cook several breasts in slow-cooker and freeze them!

One recipe I came up with that was a winner:
    Caution! You may need to adjust this accordingly if you're on any diet restrictions. It's a very flexible recipe.

I do a cooked wild & brown rice/cooked chicken breasts, pulled or shredded/mushrooms/onion/sugar-snap peas/ (or frozen green beans) cream-of-mushroom (or celery) soup/provolone/crushed Ritz Roasted Vegetable crackers & crushed almonds (or almond meal) 'layering' casserole.

I season with grated Romano cheese, salt, pepper, a little curry powder, paprika, and a little cinnamon. Mix ALL seasonings together; sprinkle some over the chicken-layer, mix some in with the crackers & almonds, mix a little into the soup (add a little chicken broth, milk or cream with soup to thin it.)

Layer items in above order into a No-Stick sprayed 13" x 9" casserole pan. Pour the seasoned soup over all, until it barely covers other ingredients. Cover with provolone cheese, sliced or shredded. Sprinkle cracker/almond/seasoning mix on that.
    Cover with aluminum foil and bake in pre-heated oven at 325° for 45 minutes; uncover and bake 15 more minutes at 400°/425° for 10 - 15 minutes, or until top is crispy. You can also do it at 375° for 30 mins.

It is to DIE for, and very simple.

These sound divine! Souvlaki, yum. And sweet-and-sour chicken!

LearningBearWithMe, your fiance sounds about like my SO in the cooking skills. I had to rescue his box mac&cheese the other day b/c he put the noodles in before the water boiled. ????

Also I'm trying to get more meat and veggies in the rotation. His repertoire tends to be a little starchy. If you have a stew with potatoes, over rice, it does not need crackers!

Pre-cooking a bunch of chicken is a good idea. I frequently do this with ground beef, and freeze in recipe-sized portions.
    The hooves of the horses! Oh witching and sweet is the music earth steals from the iron-shod feet. Will Ogilvie

Perhaps not at this time of year depending on where you are, but...

Grill a big batch of them, and freeze in individual portions. (If you are getting the enormous breasts from the commercial frankenchickens, then cut them in half before freezing.)

Then you can use them in all sorts of things. I just made a 'pasta bowl' with whole wheat penne pasta, broccoli, grilled chicken and marinara *.

* Slow Cooker Marinara: http://www.budgetbytes.com/2011/11/s...oker-marinara/
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

Personally - I reach for chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. They tend to have much more flavor and stay moist while cooking.

I usually broil mine (chicken thighs do well with broiling, while breats will come out dry):

BBQ sauce marinade and sides of greens and potatoes.

"Soy Vey" or another Asian marinade then serve with stir fried vegis.

Lime, cumin and other mexican spices then chop the broiled thighs up and serve with browned onions and peppers in tortillas (fajita style - I like to throw some uncooked arugula in as well).

For crockpot

Cubed chicken
    16oz canalinni beans rinse and drain
    16oz kidney beans rinse and drain
    1C veggies your choice
    1 1/2 C water
    1 8oz can tomato paste
    Italian seasoning if desired

Put first four ingredients in crockpot.
    Mix water and tomato paste and pour over.
    Cook 6 hours.
    May add minute rice last 10 min of cooking
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

For quick and easy, the Campbell's Slow Cooker Sauces. They are yummy. You can use ones labeled for pork with chicken.