The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Would you allow part boarder to take horse on a trailer with a friend for an outing?

I have a responsible adult part boarder who mentioned that a friend just got a horse trailer and she'd love to be able to go on outings with them. This idea makes me a bit nervous, part boarder is great but isn't obligated to cover any injuries. I'm actually not riding right now due to being pregnant so my part boarder is actually getting a sweet deal, pays half gets full access to horse. I'm happy with this arrangement because I still want to have control over how my horse is managed & worked.

I have insurance on this horse, what worries me most is that my horse travels great now. If she were to have a bad experience loading, unloading or just traveling with a driver who doesn't corner well she might not travel as well in the future. And doing anything off property in unfenced areas is just more risky.

Having said all that though I was open to the idea of my horse going to a show with part boarder with either of the two experienced horse people at our barn. These two individuals are far more experienced haulers and horse people, the risk might be worth it to me to get my horse out showing if it was with them. However, a trip to gallop on the beach with someone who just bought a trailer seems not worth the risk to me. How can I explain this to my part boarder without seeming like an ass? Should I say no off property trips at all? My horse doesn't really need to show and it would only be a few times. Anything I can do to make a trailer ride off property less risky? What have any of you done who have allowed their part boarders to travel with their horse?

The going off the property wouldn't worry me since it sounds like part boarder is responsible.
    The friend trailering with new horse trailer might. Can you find out more about friend's experience level trailering? Maybe they are experienced but did not have a trailer for a few years.
    I would want a good look at the trailer/truck set-up to make sure it is safe. If you don't know how the person loads and hauls maybe talk to them or follow them when they haul their own horse sometime.
    You could change the conditions of the lease to include that if she takes the horse off the property and something happens she is financially responsible. You can also dictate that the horse is wrapped/booted/poll guard for trailering. With additional privilege comes additional responsibility.
    I think without more information about friend and possibly references from somebody you know you aren't in a position to make an informed decision.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree with SonnysMom. I would want to know how much experience the friend has hauling. If the friend is new to it, I would for sure say no, at least for the time being.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

As far as financial responsibility would covering the insurance deductible sound reasonable? I would want to keep it simple as I'm not going to go after someone in court. In a perfect world a part boarder would offer to cover costs of injury if it was due to an activity they chose to do.

I will find out about the trailer & the driver's experience, that's good advice thanks!

I think it's perfectly reasonable to only allow the horse off property to attend horse shows with haulers that you approve. I would be uncomfortable letting someone take my horse galloping on the beach without a very experienced friend.

You could also tell her to pick up her own insurance policy on him if she wants to take him off property.

My answer would be different depending on who "I" was in the scenario. If I were the part boarder, I would say that it was very reasonable to allow me to take the horse for a trailride with a friend who has been proven to haul responsibly and safely. I know I'm responsible and would not put the horse in a bad situation and would take every precaution to keep us all safe. I would have no problem working with you to run through loading/unloading, how the horse likes to travel, etc. so that you felt comfortable. If that really is your part boarder, then I'd investigate the hauling friend and if all looks good, set some guidelines and let the boarder and horse have some fun.

If I were the owner...that's more difficult because I can't imagine wanting to part board my horse. I'm rather protective of my horses and there are only a very small number of people I'd trust to ride them. So, I can certainly understand where you are coming from on this and why you would perhaps choose not to allow it to happen.

Good luck with the decision.

I'm with the others--it depends on the skill level of the PB both riding (beach gallops are way different than arena work) and hauling. If you are comfortable with both (and the safety of the trailer PB will be using), I think it's reasonable for PB to be allowed to get off the property on occasion. If I were part boarding a horse, I think I'd be a little upset if the owner never let me go anywhere off the property (and would not enter into such an agreement).

I would definitely require an addendum to the lease stating that any bills relating to anything occurring while PB has the horse off property are the sole responsibility of PB. If it were my horse, I would expect the entire out of pocket amount if there is any beyond the deductible, and in the event that a claim not be paid for some reason (can they not pay if it's negligence?), they're responsible for the entire amount. If PB uses your tack, I'd include replacement of that in the addendum as well.

I agree with the making a new contract stating that if the horse is injured or killed off property the boarder is financially responsible for the insurance deductible and all other costs relating to the accident, including reimbursement of the price of the horse in the event of death. I'm assuming you have mortality if you have insurance so that should be a problem but I would put that in there just in case insurance didn't come through for some reason. I would essentially say:
    Leasee may take Horse off premises in a trailer with permission from owner for each occasion. In the event the horse is taken off premises and is injured the Leasee is responsible for the cost of the insurance deductible and all additional non-covered medical expenses. In the event of the death of Horse due to trailering accident the Leasee is responsible for reimbursement of Horse for $X in the event mortality will not cover claim."

I would also want to know the driver's experience and see the driver travel as I would do that for my horse even if it was me needing someone to trailer. My baby never gets in with newbie drivers
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

well it depends = how is the horse off property, how does horse ship; while part boarder is responsible are they knowledgeable about shipping? If the horse is pretty much a solid citizen about trail rides and shipping then I would amend the lease contract to state that if the horse is injured in such a way that major veterinary care is required then they will be responsible for any amounts not covered by insurance. I would not limit their responsibility to be limited to just covering the deductible - say horse slices his leg requiring surgery (this happened to a friend of mine) Surgery was about $6,000. Then there are those vet visits post-op - insurance doesn't cover barn calls - those add up; additionally if horse sustains an injury and needs to be laid up - there could be additional expenses - do you want to be 100% responsible for those? Or you could make them 50% responsible for any amounts insurance doesn't cover - I just wouldn't limit it to the deductible, the costs can add up.
    Minor injuries you wouldn't even file a claim. I would also have requirements for wearing a fly mask depending on trailer type (no eye injury from road debris) and wraps. I would also add liability insurance to your policy in case some knucklehead does something to spoke the horses and the leaser falls off and gets hurt

There is decent hacking where I board so it's not like part boarder & horse don't get out of the ring. I trust part boarder as a sensible horse person, otherwise I wouldn't have her riding my horse at all. My horse is middle aged, sensible, travels well although not a dead schoolie type by any stretch.

Going off property introduces all kinds of variables: skill of rig driver, other drivers, dogs, hikers, bikers, other riders. It really changes the terms of our agreement, as currently Im the owner and I assume all risk & responsibility. Part boarder pays a set monthly fee to help cover costs & rides. If my horse has a paddock accident tomorrow part boarder walks away.

A new contract could be drawn up but I am still the owner and ultimately responsible, I'm not sure if a piece of paper would mean part boarder would pay for an injury caused by trailering & follow up costs. I can certainly draw up the contract, but I still feel like I'm possibly on the hook financially. That has nothing to do with my particular part boarder, just how people are in general when the sh@t hits the fan & their wallets are involved.

I used to part board various horses as a college student but I'm totally unfamiliar with the off property scenario. There were either local schooling shows at the barn, others within walking distance or I didn't show. Showing & outings like beach rides were for those who did a full lease, with insurance & a formal contract. I never could do that as a starving student and I wouldn't have been able to agree to pay for injuries & follow up care. My part boarder is a working adult who in theory could pay but I'll still have to give this whole idea more thought.

Insurance and whatever aside, I would not allow it. I would only consider allowing a part-leaser to leave the property with a trusted, experienced friend of MINE that I knew was well able to handle any bad scenario.

Outings are always situations where you have to be on extra super alert to make sure that horse and rider stay safe. Horses are always different in new environments. There's no benefit to you to take this risk.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

It's your horse so ultimately it's up to what you are comfortable with.

Although, I think you are complicating it as you would allow going to a show, but not happy about the beach. If the issue is that you are worried about hauling, then the destination doesn't much matter, other than maybe distance, but I am assuming it's not a massive distance, as you didn't mention that, unless I missed it.

It sounds to me that you are ok with a show, as that would improve the horse, and value. But not the beach, as that's just for fun. Which doesn't make it sound like it's about the hauling at all.

If it truly is about the hauling, then you could do that for the part boarder yourself. Or simply say no.

Nope. I had a part leaser who wanted to do the same as well as haul to shows on her own. I was happy for her to show and do other activities if I was available to haul her (which I was most of the time) but otherwise my answer was a big fat no way. Personally - I had/have put a metric ton of work into my horse and was on the verge of meeting my goal for him - to compete at PSG - which was a very lofty one we had been working our butts off for. I knew if something happened to him in the process of hauling with her that I would resent it forever and I didn't want to feel that way about her as she's fantastic.

As others have said, its ultimately up to you but for me it wasn't worth the risk.

Would it be okay with the BO if the friend could haul her horse to the barn and the part boarder and friend ride at your barn? I would be good with this but not too keen on my horse going off property with a part boarder to go trail riding.
    "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."
    ~Gypsy saying

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

[QUOTE=Marengo;7313267]However, a trip to gallop on the beach with someone who just bought a trailer seems not worth the risk to me. [QUOTE]

^
    This says it all for me.
    Has your mare ever been galloped on a beach?
    Even if the answer is Yes, I'd hesitate to allow a boarder to take my horse on this kind of adventure.
    And a newbie to hauling? N-O-P-E.
    Even trailriding has hazards, so even if boarder had tons of trailriding experience I would most likely still say no.

Years ago a college student I showed with shareboarded my TB and I had no problem with her taking him on trails that were near where we boarded (no hauling to trails) or showing him when professional haulers took them to the showgrounds.

Your insurance might not cover the horse if you are not riding anyhow - check your policy.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Quote Originally Posted by AlexS View Post
    It's your horse so ultimately it's up to what you are comfortable with.

Although, I think you are complicating it as you would allow going to a show, but not happy about the beach. If the issue is that you are worried about hauling, then the destination doesn't much matter, other than maybe distance, but I am assuming it's not a massive distance, as you didn't mention that, unless I missed it.

It sounds to me that you are ok with a show, as that would improve the horse, and value. But not the beach, as that's just for fun. Which doesn't make it sound like it's about the hauling at all.

If it truly is about the hauling, then you could do that for the part boarder yourself. Or simply say no.
    A beach is a much riskier environment than a horse show, which is at a facility designed for horses, with footing for horses, without unsupervised crazy public, with lots of experienced horse people around. The horse show is just a more structured and horse-friendly outing.

I would have no problem saying yes to one and no to the other.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    Would it be okay with the BO if the friend could haul her horse to the barn and the part boarder and friend ride at your barn? I would be good with this but not too keen on my horse going off property with a part boarder to go trail riding.
    I was thinking of asking the BO this, I think the answer would be very much sure, either for free or some nominal fee for facility use. The whole idea of hauling & going to a new environment is what makes me nervous. I was warming up to the idea of a local show, thinking it would be with one of two experienced people I know. And I was planning to go to the show too, for fun because I'm side lined and also just to see how horse & rider handled the experience. The suggestion of a beach ride (I've done with horse handful of times) is what reminded me of all my trailering off property concerns.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but when I first became pregnant and was feeling super ill I offered part boarder a chance to buy this horse. Now that I'm feeling better & more positive about everything I'm glad she turned me down, I don't really want to sell. She had said she wasn't in a position to commit to owning financially & time wise. So now the request to start going off property made me think that it's too unbalanced a deal if I keep the responsibility of ownership while she takes the risks. I'm sure my horse would benefit from some off property trips, and I'd love to cheer them on while I'm not riding but the risks seem a bit high.

Nope. Not worth my risk as the owner. She can buy her own horse and assume the risk herself.