The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    I wouldn't go with a small SUV because of visibility issues. They take a lot of getting use to. I would probably look at some of the top rated sedans such as Toyota Camry or Honda Accord (or even the equivalent Ford).
    I just recently bought a compact SUV and this issue has been largely resolved. Most of them are greenhouses now and very easy to see out of. My Rav4 has no issues and has a backup camera that fills in any blind spots. It is the new body style with the hatch that opens upward. It has a nice low loading floor and easy to get in/out of.

I looked at a forester but I passed because the CVT transmissions aren't proven yet and the prices were too high for what you get. It's just my opinion but the Rav drives better, uses cheaper tires, and is almost as efficient. I felt the interior was a lot better as well.

1 members found this post helpful.

Another plug here for a Subaru. I have a Subaru Crosstrek and LOVE IT, my brother in law has a Subaru Tribeca and loves it as well. My cousins just bought a Subaru Outback and have glowing recommendations for it as well.

I am sold on Subaru and Toyota. We have had multiple Camry's in our family and they are awesome cars as well. Tend to have a long life span like the Subarus.

Quote Originally Posted by pony grandma View Post
    Zippy! don't forget zippy

oops that's me ..... I always wished for an MGB, enough room for just me and a sack of groceries .. that was my fantasy after raising the kids and having to drive a Dodge Caravan all those shuttle service yrs.
    Zippy and MGB should not be in the same paragraph let alone the same sentence. Loved my Snapdragon Yellow one with the black bumper but it was 67 HP. Yes you read the correctly. I think my zero turn mower is close to that. Okay not really but you get the point. DH and I had a hunter green one also.
    Now I believe the MGC has a 6 cylinder but are mighty rare in the US. I have been to British car trade shows where people have stuffed V8's or in-line 6s in an MGB.
    MGB's are fun cars but not terribly practical. I never understood the point of an MGB-GT. All the reliability problems of a MGB but not the fun of being a convertible.
    Sorry for the deviation from the original topic.

OP- My FIL wrecked his Vibe a few years ago. Our recommendation was to go to Car Sense which is a local equivalent to a CarMax. He got to try a bunch of different brands and models all at the same place. He originally thought he wanted a newer Vibe but did not like the newer model. In-laws are in their 80's so not as agile. He went with a Subaru Outback.
    He eventually blew the head gasket but had purchased an extended warranty from CarSense that covered it.
    The Outback gets better MPG than their Buick that is MIL's. Plus the AWD in our area is a plus.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

My recommendation would be a Ford Escape. If you haven't sat in/driven a Ford in the last few years, I think you (and your mom) will be very pleasantly surprised! I wouldn't hesitate now (unlike say 8-10 years ago) to buy a Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by KateKat View Post
    My recommendation would be a Ford Escape. If you haven't sat in/driven a Ford in the last few years, I think you (and your mom) will be very pleasantly surprised! I wouldn't hesitate now (unlike say 8-10 years ago) to buy a Ford.
    I don't think I documented this on this forum, but I had serious safety issues with a ford 6 speed automatic on my 2012 focus and I am definitely not the only one. I can't recommend anyone buy one of these.

And for what it's worth, I have a family member who is a head mechanic at a major ford dealership in DC, and their book is almost completely full of cars with these transmissions and/or the ecoboost engines. Almost all their warranty work is from these 2 problems. He told me not to buy the ford, and I unfortunately didn't listen.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    I don't think I documented this on this forum, but I had serious safety issues with a ford 6 speed automatic on my 2012 focus and I am definitely not the only one. I can't recommend anyone buy one of these.

And for what it's worth, I have a family member who is a head mechanic at a major ford dealership in DC, and their book is almost completely full of cars with these transmissions and/or the ecoboost engines. Almost all their warranty work is from these 2 problems. He told me not to buy the ford, and I unfortunately didn't listen.
    I love my 2013 Ford Focus

Quote Originally Posted by Alex and Bodie's Mom View Post
    ...That said, she adored driving my POS - er, PT Cruiser with the stick shift -- said it was like driving a hot rod after her Trailblazer.
    I'm looking at the possibility of trading for something newer (and possible smaller) than the aforementioned T&C. A neighbor's son has a PT Cruiser and they have ridden in it (both about my height) and say it's comfortable and not too low.

What make you say it's a POS?
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Ooohhh....sorry to hear THAT. One of the cars I was thinking about is the Fusion. Now.... :-(
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I live in Colorado, and was having big problems with my Nissan Altima. I was getting stuck on small hills whenever it was icy. We did some searches for used crossovers and bought a Chevy Equinox that was just coming off a three-year lease. It had 36,000 miles on it and was very reasonably priced.

Here we are several years later (four years, I think?), and my daughter learned to drive on that car (she is very petite and has problems with visibility in some vehicles), it got me back and forth to work in bad conditions more times than I can count, and it's still doing well at 70,000 miles.

My opinion on Subarus is that they are very nice vehicles that are way too expensive. Same for Toyotas (although a friend just found a good deal on a used Rav4 from a broker after her last one was smushed on the freeway).

For me to compliment the Equinox nearly causes me physical pain, as I am a sports car person. But when the weather is bad, it really performs, plus it has good visibility, is easy to enter and exit, and has proven reliable.

Rebecca

Quote Originally Posted by CGirl10 View Post
    I love my 2013 Ford Focus
    Mine was fine until about 25k miles.

Then the transmission shredded itself. Got 2 new clutch packs, and 2 new sets of front strut bearings, my horn stopped working, and it had a suspension issue ford claimed they couldn't replicate.

I just traded it in rather than deal with all of its issues when my 36k mile warranty was going to expire in 2000 miles.

Mine was fine until about 25k miles.

Then the transmission shredded itself. Got 2 new clutch packs, and 2 new sets of front strut bearings, my horn stopped working, and it had a suspension issue ford claimed they couldn't replicate.

I just traded it in rather than deal with all of its issues when my 36k mile warranty was going to expire in 2000 miles.
    Mine is at 12,000 miles. I hope I don't have any issues with mine! Love everything about it so far.

Look at Volvo, particularly the xc70 and s60. When my grandmother was in her 80's she and her friends always took the one friend's Volvo when they went out to dinner. It was the only car they could get in an out of, and see out the windows. All of the safety features were important as one woman could see, one could hear, one could drive and one would finger the Rosary.

2 members found this post helpful.

I could name a list of at least 20 subaru owners I know who have blown headgaskets on turbocharged subarus before 80k miles.
    Sorry, have to jump in as this is completely false. Yes, Subaru's are known for head gasket issues, however it is in the NON-turbocharged vehicles. I am very good friends with two Subaru mechanics, so I know my stuff. My husband and I have three between us currently and I love all of them to pieces. I have a 2011 Forester XT (turbo), a 2005 WRX (turbo) and 2004 STi (very turbo). The good and bad with Subaru is the price. Yes, they are expensive to purchase, however, they hang onto their value with a death grip. My former car was a 1998 Outback and I LOVED that car. ALWAYS started right up, no matter how cold, got through snow, mud, whatever was thrown at it with ease. Just a great car. We put it on Craigslist and sold it in a few hours with multiple offers. None of ours have ever had any major issues. I would certainly recommend either an outback or an Impreza. The Impreza is smaller, but still high enough off the ground to make it easier to get in and out of of, and gas mileage is decent. I am also secretly in love with the new Crosstrek....IMO, get a Subaru!

Not to be argumentative, but I had an '86 Subaru turbo and it didn't end up with a blown head gasket--the head cracked instead. That was way expensive. I'm hoping that particular problem was resolved in later models.

Rebecca

City of delusion in the state of total denial

If you're going with a Honda, I'd go with a Civic over an Accord unless she's used to driving a boat. I went from a Civic to an Accord to a newer Civic, and although I miss the V8 engine in the Accord, I find the Civic much more maneuverable and easy to drive. And park. Since street parking is a fact of life around here, I like that.

(Subaru Subaru Subaru.)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by Sillypony View Post
    Sorry, have to jump in as this is completely false. Yes, Subaru's are known for head gasket issues, however it is in the NON-turbocharged vehicles. I am very good friends with two Subaru mechanics, so I know my stuff. My husband and I have three between us currently and I love all of them to pieces. I have a 2011 Forester XT (turbo), a 2005 WRX (turbo) and 2004 STi (very turbo). The good and bad with Subaru is the price. Yes, they are expensive to purchase, however, they hang onto their value with a death grip. My former car was a 1998 Outback and I LOVED that car. ALWAYS started right up, no matter how cold, got through snow, mud, whatever was thrown at it with ease. Just a great car. We put it on Craigslist and sold it in a few hours with multiple offers. None of ours have ever had any major issues. I would certainly recommend either an outback or an Impreza. The Impreza is smaller, but still high enough off the ground to make it easier to get in and out of of, and gas mileage is decent. I am also secretly in love with the new Crosstrek....IMO, get a Subaru!
    I love my Crosstrek!

Quote Originally Posted by AKB View Post
    Look at Volvo, particularly the xc70 and s60. When my grandmother was in her 80's she and her friends always took the one friend's Volvo when they went out to dinner. It was the only car they could get in an out of, and see out the windows. All of the safety features were important as one woman could see, one could hear, one could drive and one would finger the Rosary.
    I love me a Volvo! Based on your other thread, that she has been driving European models, this might be a good idea. Volvo's are about the only car I can drive for long distances without killing my back.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

We just got a 2013 Chevy Malibu. They are cheap because they redesigned in 2013 and 2014. We love it, it has all the bangs and whistles, handles well and is quite pretty. Ours had 15k miles and was less than $20k. Worth a look.
    Impossible is nothing.

My parents both have Subarus. My mother got a Forester only when the very nice repair shop told her they literally could not find parts for her Olds Custom Crusier monster station wagon anymore. She loves it, and drives it like Dario Franchitti; word of warning - the tushy warmer controls are on the center console and very easy to turn on without realizing it. Mom drove around in the dead of a Chicago summer with her tushy warmer on for two weeks before she mentioned how hot the seat was and my brother looked at it ROFL!

Dad traded his Legacy wagon in for a Prius because OMGthepriceofgas!!! His favorite car ever was a 1980 Honda Civic hatchback, because back in the day, the seats were on the floor, and for a 6'4" guy, it was immeasurably more legroom. His DD totalled it in a bad snowstorm, I heard . . .

But I digress. What might be fun for her is to do an open house kind of thing after the holidays, where everyone you know brings their car/small SUV over for her to test drive around the neighborhood! Wide variety of cars, Mom gets to see/meet your friends (+ might be ecstatic to make a ton of food), you get real world reliability/repair data, no driving to multiple dealers, sales pressure or Mom-guilt about wasting the salesperson's time, etc. Just an idea . . .

Also, if you are anywhere other than Arizona, the first chance she gets, she should replace her tires with either Bridgestone Dueler Revos or Falken Rocky Mountains; apparently Falkens are the hot new tire in all the 4x4 magazines & a bit less expensive than the Revos . . . DH put them on our 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee and deliberately tried to spin out in northern IL snow/icy mix, and couldn't, so he's tickled 17 shades of pink. Boys and toys . . .
    Last edited by 2horseygirls; Dec. 17, 2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: added tire info
    "Let's face it -- Beezie Madden is NOT looking over her shoulder for me anytime
    soon . . . or ever, even in her worst nightmares."

Member, Higher Standards Leather Care Addicts Anonymous

I haven't read the entire thread but will offer this: my mom, in her 80's, suffered the death of her beloved Ford Taurus wagon and had to get something to replace it. Her must-have list included leather seats, so she could slide across without getting stuck on the fabric; power adjustable seats, so she could lower the seat and move it back, get in, then reposition it so she could see over the dashboard; she needed a grab bar on both the drivers side and passenger side; she wanted the gas tank to open, and trunk to pop up, from the front panel or key fob so she didn't have to lean down to the floor; she needed to seriously consider blind spots, since she resembles Mrs Santa Claus with a hip and knee replacement; and, most of all, she needed a simple, familiar looking accessory panel. That last one was not on her list, but on our list, because she could barely turn on the radio and use the heater in her old car and she had that for 15 years. She ended up with a Ford Fusion (was looking at Fiesta but it didn't have leather seats) and still can't run the heater. The Fusion is a great old-lady car, easy enough for her to get in and out of, decent back seat, small enough to park but big enough and with enough air bags to hopefully be safe-ish in a crash.

Now the problem is that she really can't drive it any more and the lease is up in April, but giving up the car is so symbolic of giving up her independence that my brother and I are really struggling with it. The lease is expensive just to have it sit in the parking lot so my brother can drive her 2 miles to her Dr appointments. It is the second brand-new car she has ever had in her life. :-/