The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Post your special only-at-Christmas favorite foods/recipes/drinks!

I think this will be a fun thread, and I usually don't start many

My family has two traditions at Christmas time - the night of the 23rd, we have our lobster dinner. Christmas eve dinner, it's prime rib. Been this way for years.

Years ago I had to come up with a side dish to go with prime rib, and it was in the form of amazing burgundy mushrooms, recipe from the Pioneer Woman.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2...ndy-mushrooms/
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/r...ipe/index.html

There is such a thing as heaven in a bowl. Plus you basically throw everything in a pot and leave it for 9 hours, and you don't mess with it. Couldn't be easier! Amazing for days after two, reheated with crusty french bread to soak the sauce up (even though I can't have the bread anymore )

But what are some COTH holiday food staples?
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

1 members found this post helpful.

My mom made this every year once it turned very cold, so that it could "cure" and be ready for Christmas:

ALL FRUIT MINCEMEAT

1 box (15 oz) seedless raisins
    1 cup dried apricot halves
    1 cup pitted prunes
    1 cup dried figs
    2 pounds tart apples, peeled, cored
    2 pounds firm pears, peeled, cored
    1 large seedless orange, unpeeled
    1 lemon, unpeeled, but seeds removed
    1 ½ cups chopped walnuts
    1 pound brown sugar
    1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
    ½ teaspoon nutmeg
    ½ teaspoon ground cloves
    ½ teaspoon ground ginger
    1 cup brandy or rum

Through the coarse blade of a food chopper, grind fruit in the order given above.

Place in a large mixing bowl. Stir in nuts, sugar, spices and liquor. Spoon into a large crock with a tight fitting cover. You can also put into canning jars and cover.

Store in a cool, dry place for at least one month before using. After a week, stir/test to make sure mixture is moist enough. If not, add more liquor. Makes about 3 quarts or 12 cups.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

We always make yummy sweets...my favorite is taking peanut putter and ritz crackers, make a sandwich, and dip them in chocolate. Mmmmm. There is a new tradition that I want to start this year, involving having chocolate in the morning with peppermint flavored vodka. And a peppermint stick and whipped cream, of course

My husband thanks you for the burgundy mushroom recipe, I printed that baby out and will be trying them!
    I roll damp cranberries in granulated sugar, let them dry , chill them and put them in a picky bowl. Potato candy, I started making that a few years ago and it was a hit, that's chilling in the fridge right now waiting to be cut.
    ALWAYS do eggnog Christmas Eve. We did the hot apple cider mixed with brown sugar, nutmeg and caramel vodka earlier this year- that will make another appearance that was really good!
    Kerri

Quote Originally Posted by kasjordan View Post
    My husband thanks you for the burgundy mushroom recipe, I printed that baby out and will be trying them!
    I roll damp cranberries in granulated sugar, let them dry , chill them and put them in a picky bowl. Potato candy, I started making that a few years ago and it was a hit, that's chilling in the fridge right now waiting to be cut.
    ALWAYS do eggnog Christmas Eve. We did the hot apple cider mixed with brown sugar, nutmeg and caramel vodka earlier this year- that will make another appearance that was really good!
    I thank you for this one. I think my entire family would like this.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

Here's the recipe we used, it's cinnamon not nutmeg lol
    http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/dr...ple-cider.html

It's reaaaaaaally good!
    Kerri

Speaking of the apple cider.....it also goes very nicely with a splash of Fireball (cinnamon whiskey).

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Holiday Wassail

Holiday Wassail Recipe

In spice bag:
    6" stick cinnamon
    16 Cloves
    1 t. whole all spice

6 C. Apple Cider
    2 C. Cranberry Juice
    1/4 C. sugar
    1-2 C Rum

Place in pan and bring to just boiling
    lower heat and add rum
    Add more or less all to taste.

Split Seconds cookies.

I have some ready to go in the oven as soon as dinner comes out and I'm seriously thinking I ought to practice other times of the year because this recipe ties me in knots. So few ingredients. So many ways to go wrong! This time the dough is extra sticky. Which means they will probably spread when baked. Which means I should note on my recipe to add a little flour

GREAT thread.

Last year, someone here pointed me to this unbelievably simple and hard to screw up prime rib recipe. (Yeah, it's Paula and she's had a...ummm, hard year). It turned out so wonderfully, we are doing it again this year, with a rib roast from the actual high end butcher shop instead of the grocery store.

Thank you, last year's COTH prime rib fairy!!!!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html

I'm totally going to serve those burgundy mushrooms alongside this year, though, Yum! Going to try them in the crock pot!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

We always have a ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls, pie on Christmas Eve. Christmas day I make some kind of overnight french toast for breakfast. For lunch we have cream of crab soup, caesar salad, and scalloped potatoes. Later we have panna cotta or creme brulee- I make a new one each year This year I'm thinking about making an egg casserole for breakfast instead of french toast.

My special Christmas recipe only involves two ingredients:

Glass of Nog
    Shot of Fireball

Mix, drink, enjoy

Dupe post that refuses to delete. Sorry!

I don't think we have anything terribly exciting. BUT, if we have Christmas at my brother's (A vegan), Christmas is the only time he allows meat in his house.

Ok, here are our 2 'holidays only' recipes.

Broccoli Bread

Preheat oven to 375*

Mix;

1 10 oz. package frozen chopped broccoli ~thawed

1 15 oz Ricotta (or cottage) cheese (I use fat free)

5 eggs

2 pks. Jiffy Muffin mix

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted

Pour in oiled 9x13 deep pan and bake for45-48 minutes until browned on top

As you can see from the ingredients, it is not something we would eat year round, but gosh, it's good!

Sausage Bread

( I took a friend's recipe and cut as much fat & calories as possible)

This recipe makes 2 loaves

2 loaves frozen bread dough, thawed

1 16 oz. roll of turkey breakfast sausage, cooked

low fat shredded mozzarella cheese

spiced olive oil (like you get at an Italian rest. to dip bread in)

Roll out bread dough as much as possible, drizzle & spread olive oil, cover with cheese & sausage.

Roll each loaf up and crimp the ends. Drizzle & spread olive oil over each loaf & bake for approx. 30 - 35 minutes until brown. Slice and eat. Yum!
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Jhein12 View Post
    We always have a ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls, pie on Christmas Eve. Christmas day I make some kind of overnight french toast for breakfast. For lunch we have cream of crab soup, caesar salad, and scalloped potatoes. Later we have panna cotta or creme brulee- I make a new one each year This year I'm thinking about making an egg casserole for breakfast instead of french toast.
    That all sounds delish!

This year is going to be interesting for Christmas food, as I have been GF for a few months but my aunt is only recently GF. Apparently she was freaking out to my mom that there would not be any food Christmas day she could eat; my mom has been emailing me the recipes of everything she's making so I can veto, make substitutions, or give her the thumbs up on dishes.

I've got a flourless chocolate cake that might be a new Christmas staple

Peppermint or chocolate martinis!

Peppermint martini
    1.5 oz vodka
    .5 oz Rumpleminze
    shake over ice, then pour into glasses that have crushed candy canes ( or peppermints) around the rim.

Chocolate Martini
    shake 1.5 oz of vodka with 1 oz white creme de cacao. Pour about a half inch of coffee liquor (I prefer the cheaper Copa de Oro over Kahlua for this recipe) into the martini glass, then later the shaken vodka mix into the glass by pouring over a spoon.

If any of my alcohol names are spelled wrong, I apologize, I don't have them on hand. Also, these taste much better with a good vodka (I use Absolut, but if you can afford better vodka, it's worth it), and they also both taste good made with vanilla vodka.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Have I mentioned how much I LOFF OT recipes?
    Sorry, no special food of my own - I'll pretty much eat anything that is put in front of me at any time of year.

SmartAlex that cookie recipe is a Keeper & will be going to my volunteer job Monday

And Kathy s:
    I will be a sleepover guest on Jan 3 and will bring that sausage bread as my contribution to breakfast!
    Host is an Italian chef & I guarantee it will be a hit
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I like fudge pie with Blue Bell Peppermint Ice Cream. The ice cream you can only get this time of year.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

For Christmas eve, we have posole.
    1 pound of posole corn or hominy
    1 medium to large onion chopped
    2 cloves garlic minced
    10 cups water
    1/4 teaspoon oregano
    1 pound pork loin, bite-sized
    2 cups red or green chile
    1 teaspoon salt
    Directions:
    Rinse posole corn until water runs clear; drain. Place posole corn, pork and 10 cups water in large stewing pot. Bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 3 hours. Add remaining ingredients and additional water if needed and continue to simmer for another 2 hours or until posole corn kernels open and are soft but not falling apart.

Then for Christmas bfast we have a farmer's bfast.
    Get some great bacon and fry it up in a cast iron skillet.
    dice potatoes and onions . Put it in the pan with the bacon drippings. Add pepper and a little bit of Worceshire sauce. brown the heck out of them
    bake some biscuits and make some eggs.
    Even duct tape can't fix stupid