The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Oh crap! Yes, you are in one of the snow belts!
    Just look for the dark blue steaks coming off Lake Erie on the radar, the ones right along the southern edge of Erie County. I am right in it.

Work is about 30 miles away, but fortunately I have the barn fully stocked and grocery stores are nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Christa P View Post
    Just look for the dark blue steaks coming off Lake Erie on the radar, the ones right along the southern edge of Erie County. I am right in it.

Work is about 30 miles away, but fortunately I have the barn fully stocked and grocery stores are nearby.
    When I lived right South of Albany, NY, we had some interesting times with the snow dumping on us.
    Some times, we could not turn horses out in the paddocks because the snow was about top of fence high and where it drifted, way over the fence, making it easy for a horse to walk over them if it wanted.

I hope you are not in for such a winter.

At least the highway crew did get on the ball and kept roads cleared.

We get soooo excited if there is even the mention of sleet/snow in the forecast, then I read the posts of you enduring feet of snow. Not flakes, feet. Good luck & stay warm & safe you guys. Thinking of you all....
    "I'm a loner, and a loner's got to be alone." Geiko

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know, the people in the smushmortion threads are getting a bit cray cray.

I just thought I would share a few pictures. The driveway has been blown out in the pictures, it was the depth of snow you see on the sides of the car. Also, I had the car clean and out yesterday morning, so that is less that 24 hours of snow on the car.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps843e8ffb.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...pse53ad9d6.jpg

It is still snowing. Good thing it's all light powder that is easy to move.

Maybe they are testing whether the ads that pop up on this thread can generate more income? I imagine that since COTH forums are free they need to have paid advertising to exist. Since OT encompasses all types of horsey folk the advertisers get more bang for their buck. Example: ads geared towards those with H\J interests wouldn't be on the Dressage Forum. But, on a generic and popular forum the ad may be seen by someone who otherwise wouldn't. I hope this makes sense.Haven't had my second cup of coffee yet. At any rate, I really enjoy the OTdiscussions. I hope that it becomes a permanent fixture.
    "You post all your drama on Facebook and get mad when people judge you? You're a special kind of stupid, aren't you?"

Quote Originally Posted by Christa P View Post
    I just thought I would share a few pictures. The driveway has been blown out in the pictures, it was the depth of snow you see on the sides of the car. Also, I had the car clean and out yesterday morning, so that is less that 24 hours of snow on the car.

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...ps843e8ffb.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/t...pse53ad9d6.jpg

It is still snowing. Good thing it's all light powder that is easy to move.
    Holy crappola! I have a feeling though that by tomorrow morning we are going to look like that as well.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    I know they've tossed around the idea of a permanent OT forum in the past. Wonder if this is a test run?
    OhPleaseOhPleaseOhPlease.......

Seriously, I would LOVE to have a permanent OT forum.
    Where I can get the wonderful COTH recipes and post whatever NHR thing I need advice on from my COTH friends.
    This is a community folks, and sometimes we need to chat about things that do not have 4 legs

msj:
    Yikes.
    I shoveled a path to the barn & back this morning thru about 4" of snow.
    That was at 7A.
    It stopped snowing around noon & I cannot see my paths.
    Sigh...more aerobic shoveling in my PM feeding routine.
    Hoping to hear my neighbor's tractor with the plow coming up my drive.......
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

I drove down to see my horse today, about 30 miles away. Not the smartest idea. The snow isn't bad, but it's so cold that what has fallen on the roads is icy. There were cars spinning out all over. One spun out directly in front of me and I thought for sure I was a goner. Luckily, I'm a cautious enough driver that I had plenty of room between the two cars and was able to slow and avoid safely. The guy hit the railing hard, so I immediately pulled over to make sure he was all right. He was, but didn't have a cell phone so I called 911 for him. Then, I booked out of there before some other idiot ran into me at the side of the road.

So, I'm now in for the duration and enjoying having Off Topic to play in. This has, so far, been a good run. At least, I think it has. I have been studiously avoiding anything that looks political, so maybe I'm getting a false impression.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I drove down to see my horse today, about 30 miles away. Not the smartest idea. The snow isn't bad, but it's so cold that what has fallen on the roads is icy. There were cars spinning out all over. One spun out directly in front of me and I thought for sure I was a goner. Luckily, I'm a cautious enough driver that I had plenty of room between the two cars and was able to slow and avoid safely. The guy hit the railing hard, so I immediately pulled over to make sure he was all right. He was, but didn't have a cell phone so I called 911 for him. Then, I booked out of there before some other idiot ran into me at the side of the road.

So, I'm now in for the duration and enjoying having Off Topic to play in. This has, so far, been a good run. At least, I think it has. I have been studiously avoiding anything that looks political, so maybe I'm getting a false impression.
    Louise, I know you've talked about getting a dog in the future. Believe me, this is NOT the kind of weather you want to be out walking said dog waiting for it to pee or crap!

My little dog hightailed it to the barn this AM and, when I was finished with morning chores, she hightailed it back to the house with the briefest of stops to pee. Second trip out she decided she had to do #2 thank heavens. This trip back in from the barn after doing evening chores was just like the morning one-a pit stop long enough to do a quick squat. That means either at the 7 or 10 PM trip she'll probably do # 2 again.

2DogsFarm-I used the snow blower to clean the driveway including back to the barn at 3 PM and there is already about 3" on it coming in at 5 PM. I've already called the plow guy to do me in the morning before I have to head to the barn.

With a cold (-7 degrees) and a gusty east wind (stalls open to the east )my horses were only out from 8-12. Two turnouts in the indoor before dinner and they are tucked in nicely. Still have 2 more trips out about 7 and 10 but I think they will be OK. I hate to shut the stall doors but I'm not about to shovel a couple feet of snow just to be able to close the stall doors.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Louise, I know you've talked about getting a dog in the future. Believe me, this is NOT the kind of weather you want to be out walking said dog waiting for it to pee or crap!
    I know you have to take a dog out to pee. I'm quite capable of doing that. FYI, I was out four times today, in the cold, clearing and refilling the bird feeders and the wild turkey feeding area. Figure I spent about 45 minutes, total, doing that. I think I can handle taking a dog out to pee if and when I decide I want one. Really, msj, I'm not that delicate a flower.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

3 members found this post helpful.

You know, every OT day I think: 'Oh, good! i can learn something!'

Inevitably I learn random bits of knowledge, like when to use a comma, or suggestions to keep my shower stall clean. Then folks post stuff like breakup threads and topics on politics, mental health, recipes, make up tips, deodorant, etc. and i'm humbled by the wealth of knowledge and diversity here on CoTH. It's humbling to see I'm part of such a wide demographic of horsefolk and it amazes me to see how one common interest ~horses~ cuts such a wide swath across all types of people. Yup. The humble equine.

Shit machines, my dad calls 'em.

OT is really nice to have and I'd be happy either way; permanent or for special occasions only. I'm just grateful to have it.

What happened to the thread about the mom demanding the dad/step mom buy daughter a car? I went back to check it out last night and couldn't find it.

It's a little ridiculous how jealous I am of y'all getting feet of snow!!! I live in Colorado and it's almost Christmas, I can see all of my lawn and was sitting on my porch swing in my dinner running pants and a long sleeve shirt. It's just wrong x

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred_Petra View Post
    It's a little ridiculous how jealous I am of y'all getting feet of snow!!! I live in Colorado and it's almost Christmas, I can see all of my lawn and was sitting on my porch swing in my dinner running pants and a long sleeve shirt. It's just wrong x
    We also need the moisture, just keep the cold up there, please.
    Close that North gate and keep it closed, will you?

Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    You know, every OT day I think: 'Oh, good! i can learn something!'

Inevitably I learn random bits of knowledge, like when to use a comma, or suggestions to keep my shower stall clean. Then folks post stuff like breakup threads and topics on politics, mental health, recipes, make up tips, deodorant, etc. and i'm humbled by the wealth of knowledge and diversity here on CoTH. It's humbling to see I'm part of such a wide demographic of horsefolk and it amazes me to see how one common interest ~horses~ cuts such a wide swath across all types of people. Yup. The humble equine.

Shit machines, my dad calls 'em.

OT is really nice to have and I'd be happy either way; permanent or for special occasions only. I'm just grateful to have it.
    Bravo!
    I second that, well said, thanks!

Default Snow & Ice!

I fell down again - not too bad (I hope) but I likely need to get to the ER tomorrow or Monday for x-rays/MRI. Freezing rain now, GD!
    I hope the roads are cleared by then.

OP, as this thread is evolving, perhaps you might think about changing the title to 'random stuff to get under the OT gun.' Or something similar. Just an idea.
    FWIW, I really think they're going to leave it open until after 1/2/14 ... maybe until 1/6 or 1/7, but who can say?

Quote Originally Posted by 13Trilliums View Post
    I fell down again - not too bad (I hope) but I likely need to get to the ER tomorrow or Monday for x-rays/MRI. I hope the roads are cleared by then.

OP, as this thread is evolving, perhaps you might think about changing the title to 'random stuff to get under the OT gun.' Or something similar. Just an idea.
    FWIW, I really think they're going to leave it open until after 1/2/14 ... maybe until 1/6 or 1/7, but who can say?
    Are you sure you are ok to wait?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Are you sure you are ok to wait?
    Yes, I think so.
    It's only my left thigh/hip. I can walk on it, mostly and I don't do much moving around anyways, because I'm pretty much crippled. Which is why I fell down (again.)
    Mom really should have named me Grace

Quote Originally Posted by 13Trilliums View Post
    Yes, I think so.
    It's only my left thigh/hip. I can walk on it, mostly and I don't do much moving around anyways, because I'm pretty much crippled. Which is why I fell down (again.)
    Mom really should have named me Grace
    Ok, you know best, but don't wait to get help if something gets worse in a hurry.