The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pony stall size?

A friend has a barn with two 12 x 12 stalls. Between the stalls is a 6 x 12 area. She was thinking of using that area for a pony stall for the winter. If that is too small we will need to come up with an alternative.
    So COTHers would you keep a 38 year old large TWH pony in a 6' x 12' stall or is the 6' too narrow? I don't know if he lies down in the stall but he does lie down a lot outside.

Thoughts?
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

The space you describe is basically the size of the interior of a two horse slant load trailer. I have a 14.2 Connemara and in a pinch I would keep her in a space that small but not long term. The risk of the pony becoming cast would be too great for my comfort level.

Actually, that size is the measurement for a Draft horse tie stall, where horse stands tied when using it. Not sure what you mean by "large", 13-14H? I would consider it a perfect size for a tie stall, just tie the pony up when using it so they don't try turning around. It is wider than our tie stalls which we used for the Western HORSES for years. They lay down and get up, never had one get cast in a tie stall.

If you are not familiar with tie stalls, you might do a search, because we had some discussion on them not real long ago. Also was a thread in the Driving Forum, on tie stalls.

Personally, I LOVE tie stalls, and consider them to be a great training aid for any horse. They are economical to bed, quick to clean. Worth having in any stable for the benefits to the horses. Ours have wood floors, rubber mats would work too. Dirt is not so good, horse may dig holes if they paw.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Actually, that size is the measurement for a Draft horse tie stall, where horse stands tied when using it. Not sure what you mean by "large", 13-14H? I would consider it a perfect size for a tie stall, just tie the pony up when using it so they don't try turning around. It is wider than our tie stalls which we used for the Western HORSES for years. They lay down and get up, never had one get cast in a tie stall.

If you are not familiar with tie stalls, you might do a search, because we had some discussion on them not real long ago. Also was a thread in the Driving Forum, on tie stalls.

Personally, I LOVE tie stalls, and consider them to be a great training aid for any horse. They are economical to bed, quick to clean. Worth having in any stable for the benefits to the horses. Ours have wood floors, rubber mats would work too. Dirt is not so good, horse may dig holes if they paw.
    Sorry. I am from the hunter world where Large is over 13.2 since it is a division size. In his case right around 14.1-14.3 H. He is much lower in the middle due to age. LOL
    My trainer uses tie stalls for some of her lesson ponies. I also worked at a hack stable that had tie stalls. Therefore I am familiar with tie stalls. However this pony is anywhere from 38 to 40 years old. When I see him sleeping in the field he likes to lie flat out. I am guessing he has arthritis and isn't as flexible as he used to be. Therefore getting cast seems more likely and hence the concern on the 6 ft width.

Recently I had to get a 14.1 H Haflinger uncast from the front of a 12' x 12' stall. A number of years ago a friend's horse got cast on the center rail of a split rail fence in a 12 acre field. I realize they can get cast anywhere.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

I think putting a large pony who likes to lie down in a 6' stall is too risky. If your friend could move the interior walls, she could make three 10 X 12 stalls in the same space.

3 members found this post helpful.

I probably would try it before moving walls.

Pony is under 5 feet tall, so he should be able to lay more or less flat in the 6 foot width shouldn't he? the stall is likely too small for him to decide to roll, so not sure if there really would be additional risk of getting cast...wouldn't that be more likely in a stall he thinks he has room to roll in?
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

1 members found this post helpful.

If he had spent time in a tie stall before, that would be ok.
    If he is new to that, he may have a harder time adjusting.

Maybe one of the other horses would be able to use a tie stall and let the pony have his stall for the few weeks of winter, or trade places with the other two a few hours a day, or use the aisle at night for a stall along with the small space and see what he prefers, or ... ?

I got a good look at the 6' x 12' area between the stalls. We have decided it is too small even though she has never known Charlie to lay down in his current stall. We are just going to build a temp stall in the aisle.

We can't easily move one of the walls for the 12' x 12' stalls since the 6' wide section has concrete flooring and the actual stalls have gravel with rubber mats.

Both her other horses are in their twenties and have never been in tie stalls. The big horse is 16.3 and is used to a big stall. The other large pony/small horse is right around 14.2-15 H. She got cast earlier this year in a stall that I estimate is 10 x 10 or maybe 9 x 10. She also has trouble getting up sometimes when she lies down in either the stall or field.

Converting the aisle at this point makes the most sense. A little inconvenient but doable.

Thanks for the reality check.

1 members found this post helpful.

That is what we did with a very old horse we got out of a bad place.
    To rehab him, we were afraid he would go down in our 14' x14' stalls, it was middle of winter, so no way to keep him outside all the time.

We just let him stay in the 80' x 16' aisle with the end bedded.
    After he started feeling better and gaining weight, he was opening the people door by turning the knob and letting himself in the hay barn and eating alfalfa there free choice.
    We then added a 16' panel to the end to keep him there.
    During the day we opened the door and he could use the pen outside, that at that time had snow on the ground.

I hope your old man does well wherever you put him.