The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ideas for Custom Saddles

Looking for suggestions on a saddle - I have a big mover and a bad back.

I love my Hennig but the tree is cracked and it's hard to get someone out to take measurements and fit them properly.

I'm currently riding in a Wolfgang Solo from Custom Saddlery but it's harder than the Hennig and I don't "feel" the horse as much as I'd like.

Any ideas on what may be as nice as the Hennig but easier to get in the U.S.?

Nothing is as nice as an Hennig!

Couldn't you send your saddle to be fixed? Ship it directly to Germany. (or send it to have a new one made exactly like this one?)

For feel, it's tough to beat a Black Country Vinici, but it might not give enuf support. You can trial one at Trumbull Mountain Saddlery, and they are wonderful folks.
    http://behindthebitblog.com
    Dressage, riding, sport horse blog

Agreed! I can't find any I like as much as the Hennig!

I have a custom Hennig for my other horse, but the one that broke was made for another horse and is a little small for me, so I'm trying to hold off and have measurements taken especially for him. Wonder if they can combine them? A Hennig rep is coming from Germany in March but I don't know if I want to wait so long and getting them adjusted is hard in my area.

I've heard that both County and Black Country saddles are very good. I know someone who has 2 amazing customs for her very wide mares. She said they were extremely customizable and they are very cushy but you can still feel the horse. I will send her message and ask what she has.

Older Schleese saddles used Hennig trees.

Quote Originally Posted by xrmn002 View Post
    A Hennig rep is coming from Germany in March but I don't know if I want to wait so long and getting them adjusted is hard in my area.
    Maybe you'll find a used one that will suit until you can meet with the rep/await your new custom

I assume you're aware of Skyland's

Thanks StaceyK. I also love the Vinici monoflap as it gives a very close feel to one's horse and is available with many fit options. Its exterior thigh block is not as gigantic as the Hennig Sofa's but more anatomically accommodating. You can check them on our site under new dressage saddles/Black Country but I am happy to chat about with you if you would like. 800-442-9672.
    Jay McGarry
    saddle fitter
    www.trumbullmtn.com
    800-442-9672

I have had two different type horses in Borne saddles for over a year now and both riders, very different types as well LOL, love them.
    I also have my stallion in a Sommer that has had several riders in it and it has held up very well over the years and is comfortable.

If you want to wait for a your rep to come next year, a cheap alternative is a Wintec.
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird660 View Post
    Thanks StaceyK. I also love the Vinici monoflap as it gives a very close feel to one's horse and is available with many fit options. Its exterior thigh block is not as gigantic as the Hennig Sofa's but more anatomically accommodating.
    I'm sorry but this is just not true.

Hennig Sofa saddle are custom, their thigh blocks aren't more or less gigantic than any saddle on the market and certainly not less anatomically accomodating! It is custom, people ask for what they want, Hennig takes measurments of your butt/legs/thighs... My Sofa/Princess/modified has "tiny" 3/4 upper thigh blocks and I don't feel stuck in my saddle at all... (my profile picture)

Anyway, a thigh block is a thigh block. No matter how tiny, slim or huge, it blocks the thigh from moving forward. Its size really doesn't matter as much as its placement, which is fully custom on a Hennig.

Without seeing the horse in question, it's really not possible to make any meaningful recommendations, but IMO the UK-made saddles are hard to beat. They're not as pricey as the Hennigs, and can be had bench made ("custom") for your/your horse's specs for at or around the same price as an off-the-rack model. Quality and fit are outstanding.

But if you really love your Hennig, why not just have it re-treed? Less expensive than a new saddle, and if you bought your saddle new, it might be covered under warranty ...

I've had a Hennig Sofa...loved it. Had to sell it due to selling the horse and it didn't fit the other. I've recently purchased a County and it's the best thing I've sat in or put on my horse(s).

That being said, it's really your preference and should be based on how you feel in it and how your horse goes in it. Beware fitters who are just trying to make a sale (they do exist). Go with your gut feeling. That being said, I like the County, but I don't have much experience with them. I have however done business with Mike Corcoran for over 20 years. He was with Black Country (one of the saddles mentioned above) and then branched out on his own with Mike Corcoran Saddlery. I have one of his Master saddles for sale for a client of mine, and I had one myself as well. It has a similar exposed block like the Hennig (soft) and an EXCELLENT fit. I wouldn't recommend him if the man didn't know what he was doing.

This is one of the Master saddles:
    http://www.auduboncourtsaddlery.com/...ressage-saddle

Have a saddler coming out tomorrow. She's bringing Black Country, Patrick, Prestige, Albion and a few more so will get to try a few of the UK branks. Excited to try some of the brands that were mentioned!

Trying to find a conformation shot but all my pics are at a weird angle!

If you liked the Wolfgang Solo but want a closer more close contact feel, try their Icon saddles. I think they are made with a different spring tree (not sure - maybe the fitters can elaborate?).

I ride in the icon flight and love it.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Have narrowed it down to Patrick Saddlery and another Hennig. I am trying a Patrick right now and am liking it more and more. To me it's a little harder than the Hennig sofa, but it's quicker to get one made and we have a rep locally who can flock it so I'm leaning toward that.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Have narrowed it down to Patrick Saddlery and another Hennig. I am trying a Patrick right now and am liking it more and more. To me it's a little harder than the Hennig sofa, but it's quicker to get one made and we have a rep locally who can flock it so I'm leaning toward that.
    I got a new custom Patrick saddle this spring. It is not a dressage saddle since foxhunt and trail ride. I love it. It has broken in well. Better yet my horse loves it. It is nicely balanced and very well made. I have a local saddle fitter that did the initial flocking fitting and just had some minor flocking changes since Fin's back shape changed so much.
    Did I tell you how much I love my Patrick saddle? I think my friends are tired of hearing how much Fin and I love my Patrick saddle.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

If you want more cushion under the seat, discuss this with your rep - it should be possible as Patrick does make very personal saddles; it may alter the fit/feel though compared to the saddle you are riding in.
    I believe Patrick does fly over to NA regularly as well (though perhaps no where near your area).

Regarding your Hennig with the broken tree, if it is otherwise in good condition, you might offer it to a used saddle dealer that will have it re-treed & then sold on ...