The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ridesrealfast View Post
    Why did they go out of style? When I was a kid my grey pony always had a white one. The only one I have seen in this century (literally) was a picture of Anne Kursinski on a jumper wearing a brown string girth. Excellent look, I thought, and aren't string girths supposed to be very comfortable. I guess you would have to ask the horse that one.
    I use mohair string girths. They just work the best for my horses. I also ride a Fjord, so I don't really follow current trends... Dover had a cover within the last three years or so that had Anne Kursinski with her string girth - maybe that was the picture you saw?

I, too, love single-laced reins. I found a pair for my dressage bridle a few years ago, but they aren't great quality - too stiff. I would *love* to find a better quality, softer version that I would actually use.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a pair of plaited reins. I use them as my second rein when using a pelham or gag or whatever. I like them because they are nice and grippy and feel completely different than my rubber reins. I have used them on occasion as my single rein, too, and like them. I actually HATE laced reins.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapple Dawn Farm View Post
    ...green hunt coats...to go with the rust breeches, of course!

Had a green velevet hunt cap to go with mine, and I had my taylor put in a yellow satin lining in the green coat so when I jumped you got a flash of the yellow. Fun. That was for jumpers.

Also, I totally forgot about the plaited reins this time around (when I got my current horse)... Man I love those reins. I'll have to find some. I love plaited reins, especially in the field./cross country.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    Thanks so tempted to buy these! Maybe after Christmas
    I have two pair, one each of the flat and the raised. They are both very nice. The flat ones stretched out a bit more. They are very soft, supple, and comfortable. The raised ones didn't stretch as much, but the raised part is much stiffer and not as flexible as I like although I am working on them with conditioners, and they are getting more supple. They are very handsome, and I often receive compliments. I think there is a real market for plaited reins. These by Bobby's are not the top quality in tack but are very nice and worth the price.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post

The opposite of plaited reins: Half-raised reins.

They are pretty, soft, easy to clean, unusual and you can hold 'em anywhere. Also easy to clean. Did you get that part? Yeah: easy to clean yet horse show worthy.

Crosby made these for a minute. I snapped up a pair and I still have them in my Tack Vault-cum-Tack-Museum.
    I have a pair of these as well They USED to be my daily reins (gosh, for probably 6 years) - until my then 4 year old tried to chew on them, NOOOO!!! So, now they are in my trunk- and waiting for shows. They are my go to's for curb rein for my pelham bit.

I just purchased a string girth last week - I will be looking pretty retro with my string girth and plaited reins!

these Five Star Tack reins look lovely, too bad their are oversized and I need pony or cob!http://www.ebay.com/itm/Five-Star-Ta...item3a884be86b

Quote Originally Posted by MCarverS View Post
    Before my time, but Aaron Vale uses Flat Hunt Bridles on his horses for schooling bridles--they are easy to clean!

I miss flat hunt bridles: http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/Pets...T700944_116377
    I school in a flat hunt bridle! It's a million year old hand me down, but I love it. It's ridiculously easy to clean and actually looks decent on his face.

Quote Originally Posted by TrakHack View Post

I, too, love single-laced reins. I found a pair for my dressage bridle a few years ago, but they aren't great quality - too stiff. I would *love* to find a better quality, softer version that I would actually use.
    Too funny, I stumbled across these exact reins yesterday.
    http://jerrysharnessshop.com/index.p...gle-lace-reins

Oh my. I must be getting old! I remember when field boots only came in brown. We rode in flat hunt bridles, string girths and felt numnahs! Canary breeches were in...before rust, even! Green hunt caps...or navy blue. If you really wanted to look natty...you had a velvet collar on your hunt coat. I did covet plaited reins and a rolled bridle, though!
    The greatest gift you can ever give is taking their pain away and making it your own. Wear that pain like a tribute to the love you shared. Laurierace

Oh you know what else I really loved--the leather girths with like the braid on the side. You know what I mean. The horses always seemed to like them.

I found an old pair of braided reins in a bin full of old tack, bought them for 10 bucks and got the studs fixed and now they are on my favorite show bridle.!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
    Oh you know what else I really loved--the leather girths with like the braid on the side. You know what I mean. The horses always seemed to like them.
    Balding girths? http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CGUQ9QEwAw

Quote Originally Posted by Snowfox View Post
    Braid on the side?

You mean a balding girth?

A single layer of leather, no elastic and leather cut into three strips for the middle and two "braid stitches" made so as to narrow the girth behind the elbow on each side.

Here's a picture. Scroll all the way down:

http://braymere.blogspot.com/2009/03...w-hunters.html
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Braid on the side?

You mean a balding girth?

A single layer of leather, no elastic and leather cut into three strips for the middle and two "braid stitches" made so as to narrow the girth behind the elbow on each side.

Here's a picture. Scroll all the way down:

http://braymere.blogspot.com/2009/03...w-hunters.html
    Yes! One of those! I love those girths. Use to use them all the time.

Okay, I'm such a tack ho, I clicked on the link in the blog to check out some finely crafted English tack.

http://www.fourcornerstack.com/index.html

A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I loved the look of some braided reins that I found at my local tack shop about 2-3 years ago. I think they are great- look fabulous and have a nice feel to them.

I still show in my braided reins and mine are extra long! Love them!

Just noticed Victory Canter had braided reins on clearance...
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

Quote Originally Posted by cleozowner View Post
    Just noticed Victory Canter had braided reins on clearance...
    Oh christ... I do not need another pair of braided reins, I do not need another pair of braided reins....

I didn't know braided reins were out. Good thing mine have lasted.