The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Mildew in boots - what to do?

I have a pair of Ariat paddock boots that are still in relatively good condition. However this summer, I would pull them off at the door before coming in the house and just leave them outside. Between the moisture from sweating in them all summer and the moisture from the high humidity here, they seem to have mildewed on th inside. they smell terrible!! Not smelly feet bad, just moldy/mildewy bad!! If they were in worse condition I would just ditch them but they still have some more miles in them. Any ideas for how I can fix this??
    Last edited by SkipHiLad4me; Dec. 9, 2013 at 06:11 PM.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I would think you could try wiping the inside with a 10% bleach solution and letting them dry. It may take a couple of times but the bleach should kill the mildew.

And stop leaving them outside from now on.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Huh, I wonder if you could use those dessicater things they sell in hardware stores for drying out small spaces like closets inside the boots- (giant versions of the little packets you find in your vitamins).

But killing the mildew with bleach solution might be necessary too. Given the abuse and soaking my paddocks go through I'd be inclined to dunk them in, give them a good swish, rinse and then get them really dry - maybe with a hair dryer? Not that great if you did it all the time, but once won't kill them.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have in the past tossed mine in the washing machine. They might fall apart or might be okay, but if they are so rank that I won't wear them, I figure it is worth the risk. I'm not recommending you do it, as I'm not being held responsible if they come out badly (!), but I've done it with paddock boots several times and had them come out okay.

The key to avoiding mildew/mold/stank in any shoe is keeping the moisture out and drying quickly once wet. That includes after a trip thru the washing machine. Personally I'd avoid leaving footwear outside at all costs.

One trick I've enjoyed is to take a couple of old towels: stuff the wet shoe with the towel all the way down and wrap the remainder around the outside. Then press the works with your bare feet to drive the water into the towel. This will get even a sopping wet shoe/boot to the point where air drying will take it the rest of the way.

I've been half tempted to take one of the floor vents in the house and funnel the warm air into some PVC piping to make a boot dryer. The commercial ones are nice too.

The Peet boot dryer is worth it's weight in gold. Mine runs all day in the winter and in really wet weather.

http://www.peetdryer.com/
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

What MSJ says. My husband and I have three Peet dryers between us, including one with a helmet dryer. Since you have mildew already I would spray the inside with a bleach based spray and when they've air-dried a little put them on the Peet dryer. It's nicein winter and summer.

Another thought is to try spraying them with original Lysol, wipe them out good, then spray again.

As long as you wear socks you shouldn't get a reaction from the Lysol.

I spray Lysol, once or twice a season, on the carpet in one of old cars that's in storage and it works to keep the mildew away

I am having this problem with my new Ariat Terrains. Spraying with the enzime that takes away urine odor/pet stains has helped. I also seplaced foot bed with 'Odor Eater' from the drug store.

Thanks so much for all of the great suggestions! I'm going to start trying each of these in order of easiest fix to most complex, until the stink is gone! Fingers crossed
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Quote Originally Posted by walkinthewalk View Post
    Another thought is to try spraying them with original Lysol, wipe them out good, then spray again.

As long as you wear socks you shouldn't get a reaction from the Lysol.

I spray Lysol, once or twice a season, on the carpet in one of old cars that's in storage and it works to keep the mildew away
    This. I have used Lysol spray on boots, saddles and bridles. It kills mold and mildew like magic. Spray and then wipe the dead crap off.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    I would think you could try wiping the inside with a 10% bleach solution and letting them dry. It may take a couple of times but the bleach should kill the mildew.
    Bleach doesn't kill the mold or mildew. It will only make the color of mold or mildew disappear. You should try some tea tree oil to clean your boots.
    You should visit website .

Lysol works.

And as a bonus, it doesn't have to be used in such quantities to saturate the boot, and it doesn't dry out the leather.

are you all talking about the original Lysol spray in the can?

I've found that a spray of undiluted Listerine works well and makes everything smell minty-fresh.

Also, plain old UV works wonders on mold and smell. Open them up as much as possible and leave them to bake for a couple of hours in the sun. The UV kills lots of stuff and helps break down the molecules responsible for the smell.