The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb. 7, 2005
    Location
    Eventing Heaven, VA
    Posts
    1,857

    Default The Ten Commandments of a Logical Argument

    This has been making its way around Facebook and the interwebs in general. Hadn't seen it here yet.

    1. Thou shall not attack the person’s character, but the argument. (Ad hominem)

    2. Thou shall not misrepresent or exaggerate a person’s argument in order to make them easier to attack. (Straw man fallacy)

    3. Thou shall not use small numbers to represent the whole. (Hasty generalization)

    4. Thou shall not argue thy position by assuming one of its premises is true. (Begging the question)

    5. Thou shall not claim that because something occurred before, it must be the cause. (Post Hoc/False cause)

    6. Thou shall not reduce the argument down to two possibilities. (False dichotomy)

    7. Thou shall not argue that because of our ignorance, claim must be true or false. (Ad ignorantium)

    8. Thou shall not select only the supporting information and ignore everything that goes against the claim. (Cherry-picking)

    9. Thou shall not assume “this” follows “that” when it has no logical connection. (Non sequitur)

    10. Thou shall not claim that because a premise is popular, therefore it must be true.(Bandwagon fallacy)
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

    *As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me


    9 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    41,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WNT View Post
    This has been making its way around Facebook and the interwebs in general. Hadn't seen it here yet.

    1. Thou shall not attack the person’s character, but the argument. (Ad hominem)

    2. Thou shall not misrepresent or exaggerate a person’s argument in order to make them easier to attack. (Straw man fallacy)

    3. Thou shall not use small numbers to represent the whole. (Hasty generalization)

    4. Thou shall not argue thy position by assuming one of its premises is true. (Begging the question)

    5. Thou shall not claim that because something occurred before, it must be the cause. (Post Hoc/False cause)

    6. Thou shall not reduce the argument down to two possibilities. (False dichotomy)

    7. Thou shall not argue that because of our ignorance, claim must be true or false. (Ad ignorantium)

    8. Thou shall not select only the supporting information and ignore everything that goes against the claim. (Cherry-picking)

    9. Thou shall not assume “this” follows “that” when it has no logical connection. (Non sequitur)

    10. Thou shall not claim that because a premise is popular, therefore it must be true.(Bandwagon fallacy)
    Neat, thank you!

    Bears repeating.

    Then, if everyone was attentive to these commandments all the time, where would the train wrecks come from, no more fun to be had?


    2 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan. 10, 2002
    Location
    Area VIII, Region 2, Zone 5.
    Posts
    6,757

    Default

    If everyone somehow had to follow these rules, plenty of people would have to stop posting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb


    6 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb. 7, 2005
    Location
    Eventing Heaven, VA
    Posts
    1,857

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Then, if everyone was attentive to these commandments all the time, where would the train wrecks come from, no more fun to be had?
    No doubt, the thought crossed my mind
    Last edited by WNT; Dec. 9, 2013 at 08:37 AM. Reason: sp.
    Failure is always an option*
    -Mythbusters

    *As long as you figure out what you f'ed up and fix it! -Me



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2000
    Location
    Rochester,NY,USA
    Posts
    7,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SillyHorse View Post
    If everyone somehow had to follow these rules, plenty of people would have to stop posting.
    I don't think that would be so bad, really!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb. 8, 2008
    Location
    Delaware Valley
    Posts
    1,660

    Default

    Love it! It's funny, though, how some of the worst culprits don't realize they're doing it


    3 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun. 18, 2007
    Posts
    4,123

    Default

    Love it! Love #1. The reason I HATE discussing politics, even with folks I agree with, is that somehow, the conversations always wind up (or even start out, forget about a journey to get to winding up) making comments about the people who disagree with you instead of talking objectively about the issue itself.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    41,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dressagetraks View Post
    Love it! Love #1. The reason I HATE discussing politics, even with folks I agree with, is that somehow, the conversations always wind up (or even start out, forget about a journey to get to winding up) making comments about the people who disagree with you instead of talking objectively about the issue itself.
    Some times, I see that as figuratively getting down to pull hair and mud wrestling your opponent.
    Maybe funny to watch, not so much when you are the one who's hair is being pulled.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    18,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Discobold View Post
    Love it! It's funny, though, how some of the worst culprits don't realize they're doing it
    I noticed that. It's always the other guy.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    41,600

    Default

    Remember the "how many does it take to change a light bulb?"

    This one is also worth repeating here and there, when the opportunity presents itself.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    41,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I noticed that. It's always the other guy.
    Then, some times, it is indeed "the other guy".



  12. #12
    Join Date
    May. 4, 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    14,503

    Default

    "The best defence is attack" - duly noted in the trainwreck threads....I'd sure miss 'em!
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique



  13. #13
    Join Date
    May. 26, 2011
    Posts
    1,203

    Default

    I like the credential builders people use in arguments like "my freakishly smart friend" or "this guy is THE authority" or "the go to person for". All these are code for this person's opinion agrees with mine but dressed up to appear more authoritative.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul. 11, 2004
    Posts
    6,975

    Default

    Wait, these are exactly the opposite of Alinskey's book "Rules for Radicals" suggests as how to win arguements. Somebody tell the Dems, it's their playbook (esp. #12).

    Saul Alinsky’s 12 Rules for Radicals
    Here is the complete list from Alinsky.

    * RULE 1: “Power is not only what you have, but what the enemy thinks you have.” Power is derived from 2 main sources – money and people. “Have-Nots” must build power from flesh and blood. (These are two things of which there is a plentiful supply. Government and corporations always have a difficult time appealing to people, and usually do so almost exclusively with economic arguments.)
    * RULE 2: “Never go outside the expertise of your people.” It results in confusion, fear and retreat. Feeling secure adds to the backbone of anyone. (Organizations under attack wonder why radicals don’t address the “real” issues. This is why. They avoid things with which they have no knowledge.)
    * RULE 3: “Whenever possible, go outside the expertise of the enemy.” Look for ways to increase insecurity, anxiety and uncertainty. (This happens all the time. Watch how many organizations under attack are blind-sided by seemingly irrelevant arguments that they are then forced to address.)
    * RULE 4: “Make the enemy live up to its own book of rules.” If the rule is that every letter gets a reply, send 30,000 letters. You can kill them with this because no one can possibly obey all of their own rules. (This is a serious rule. The besieged entity’s very credibility and reputation is at stake, because if activists catch it lying or not living up to its commitments, they can continue to chip away at the damage.)
    * RULE 5: “Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.” There is no defense. It’s irrational. It’s infuriating. It also works as a key pressure point to force the enemy into concessions. (Pretty crude, rude and mean, huh? They want to create anger and fear.)
    * RULE 6: “A good tactic is one your people enjoy.” They’ll keep doing it without urging and come back to do more. They’re doing their thing, and will even suggest better ones. (Radical activists, in this sense, are no different that any other human being. We all avoid “un-fun” activities, and but we revel at and enjoy the ones that work and bring results.)
    * RULE 7: “A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag.” Don’t become old news. (Even radical activists get bored. So to keep them excited and involved, organizers are constantly coming up with new tactics.)
    * RULE 8: “Keep the pressure on. Never let up.” Keep trying new things to keep the opposition off balance. As the opposition masters one approach, hit them from the flank with something new. (Attack, attack, attack from all sides, never giving the reeling organization a chance to rest, regroup, recover and re-strategize.)
    * RULE 9: “The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.” Imagination and ego can dream up many more consequences than any activist. (Perception is reality. Large organizations always prepare a worst-case scenario, something that may be furthest from the activists’ minds. The upshot is that the organization will expend enormous time and energy, creating in its own collective mind the direst of conclusions. The possibilities can easily poison the mind and result in demoralization.)
    * RULE 10: “If you push a negative hard enough, it will push through and become a positive.” Violence from the other side can win the public to your side because the public sympathizes with the underdog. (Unions used this tactic. Peaceful [albeit loud] demonstrations during the heyday of unions in the early to mid-20th Century incurred management’s wrath, often in the form of violence that eventually brought public sympathy to their side.)
    * RULE 11: “The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative.” Never let the enemy score points because you’re caught without a solution to the problem. (Old saw: If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem. Activist organizations have an agenda, and their strategy is to hold a place at the table, to be given a forum to wield their power. So, they have to have a compromise solution.)
    * RULE 12: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.” Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions. (This is cruel, but very effective. Direct, personalized criticism and ridicule works.)
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"


    3 members found this post helpful.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep. 15, 2003
    Posts
    452

    Default

    If everyone had to follow these rules (the OP's, not Trak's post), plenty of people would have to stop TALKING, let alone posting! And the internet would come to a screeching halt.
    The hooves of the horses! Oh witching and sweet is the music earth steals from the iron-shod feet. Will Ogilvie


    1 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: Nov. 30, 2013, 06:27 PM
  2. PETA's 10 Commandments of Horse Care/edit post #1
    By michaleenflynn in forum Off Course
    Replies: 375
    Last Post: Apr. 28, 2013, 10:02 PM
  3. COTH Ten Commandments
    By SmartAlex in forum Off Course
    Replies: 167
    Last Post: Nov. 12, 2011, 01:10 AM
  4. Rollkur: A logical opinion...
    By Sebastian in forum Dressage
    Replies: 212
    Last Post: Jan. 31, 2010, 11:09 PM
  5. Logical progression of bits?
    By Jleegriffith in forum Hunting
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Feb. 18, 2009, 10:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •