The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dry footing?

So this is my first time living in a "wet" climate where the ground stays muddy for more than a few days. My 40'x80' "dry lot" is a "mud lot". I want to build it up so it will drain and stay dry, but I am unfamiliar with what materials are available here in the MD/VA area. What do you all use? Bluestone? Crushed blue stone? Sand?

I scraped out organic in one dry lot, and then layered with crusher run and stone dust on top. It's been fantastic this past week. Consistently excellent footing in all weather. I have two other paddocks and I'm raising the grade substantially in both, and installing french drains across the middle to divert water. I will likely treat one of the two the same as my first, with crusher run and stone dust so I have two all weather paddocks for turnout.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

I used Bathsehba's solution minus the stonedust & it lasted in my sacrifice paddock for about 5 years before needing to be redone.
    Much of the original crusher-run gravel - #53s - had disappeared into the ground and the mud had returned as if nothing was done.

This year I bowed to the Wisdom if COTH and redid the area by removing the top6" of material then putting down geotextile fabric and large gravel (roadbase?) on top of that.
    That was in August.
    Now after our first measurable snowfall - 4-6" - and subsequent melt, the stone is not totally level, but it is bone-dry and great for me & the horses to walk on.
    No boot-sucking, ankle-twisting, curse-worthy muck!

As a bonus my Big Horse is not developing the scratches he had for the last 2 years after standing in the muddy paddock.
    He still walks in mud in the pastures, but has enough "dry time" so his feet are holding up great.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015