The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I thought it was awful too, and haven't looked at EN in a couple of days directly because of that.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

The one today of all the horses falling through the ice made my stomach turn. I would find it doubtful they all made it out alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintbrlrcr View Post
    The one today of all the horses falling through the ice made my stomach turn. I would find it doubtful they all made it out alive.

It bothered me enough that I tried to look up the video the gif came from..to see if I could find out if they all made it. Here is the whole video. Looks like they got them all out, the water wasn't deep...but very scary....

http://icelandichorse.blogspot.com/2...rough-ice.html

It was supposedly a race is Iceland...freak accident.
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Dec. 9, 2013 at 05:37 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

What bothered me? The real estate listing. That has even less to do with eventing. Slow season I guess.

did not like EN today.........not funny at all.

I thought the jumping video was stupid, but by no means the worst thing I've seen. Heck, not even the worst I've seen lately.

And yes, some of the GIFs were cringe-worthy, but some were pretty funny. But apparently I'm in the minority here.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    And yes, some of the GIFs were cringe-worthy, but some were pretty funny. But apparently I'm in the minority here.
    A couple were funny...like the cat one and the goat one.....just didn't out weigh the really cringe worthy ones. Still...I hate gifs in general...
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Glad I wasn't alone. I did contact EN to let them know I was "un-liking" their Facebook page because of the video, but they deleted the comment and didn't bother to reach out.
    I didn't see the gifs, and I'm glad I didn't!

Hi HappyHoppingHaffy,

Just a quick note to thank you for the feedback and to apologize for disappointing you. EN is a broad and diverse community with very different levels of tolerance and views on appropriateness. But I think that we can all agree that videos of horses in danger aren't where we want to be. Drawing that line in eventing (a fall video or a near fall video, for example) is much more challenging in practice. Getting that line 100% right in all 3,000 posts a year is, frustratingly, impossible. I've missed that line horribly in posts before.

A key point for me is that horse and rider should be showed or known to be fine. Another key point is we want it to be obvious or to write that you "shouldn't try this at home." We have removed the post you mentioned as well as the .gif post. It just so happened that we had a couple of misses in a row. We've all had a bad day at the office (or barn) from time to time and I hope you can understand that, as I understand the flak we're getting for it.

Most importantly, I want you to understand that if you're writing for (or reading) EN, you have probably devoted the majority of your time, energy, money, and life to these great animals that we love so much. If at any time your criticism of a post drifts over into thinking that they folks behind those posts don't love this sport and our horses every bit as much as you do, then I'm sorry. -J

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    I agree. A few made me chuckle, especially the cat one. I have a cat that would totally do that. The one foal gif looks like it's a video run backwards -- pretty sure it was actually a foal rolling and getting up, then the video was run backward. The foal galloping and then making a sliding stop into its mother made me laugh, because our babies do that in the pasture at least twice a day.

But, I don't get too worked about about the internet in general.