The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Eventing nation: video of horse jumping over another horse

The video seems to have disappeared, but I'm really bothered by what I saw. I even "un-liked" EN (severe) because for some reason they found it amusing, and thought it would appeal to the masses.

I can't stop thinking about how horrible it was.

This video shouldn't just go away and brushed aside. I feel the people in the video are at the very least unkind, and if the horse laying on the ground (while the yahoo jumps over it) is part of a "mustang project" there should be some kind of repercussion.

Too many Sarah McLaughlin commercials for me, or is anyone else ticked?

1 members found this post helpful.

I just saw one recently of Snowman doing this - it is one of the famous things he did. Do you think it was that video?
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I didn't see it. What did the video show? What was the horrible part?

For awhile the link to the page still worked but now it is gone.

Basically, they had a horse laying on the ground. Someone was kneeling by its head. Another person was on another horse. They then circled around and jumped the other horse. They jumped from the back of the the horse towards its legs. --> [

The horse on the ground was identified as a horse that was part of the Mustang Retraining Project.

I the poster on the video thought it was funny. I can't believe that EN posted it. It seems to be completely wiped from the site.
    "I couldn't find my keys, so I put her in the trunk"

Here is a link to the video that was in the EN post . I was pretty appalled they posted it too
    Last edited by Lone; Dec. 8, 2013 at 09:11 AM. Reason: fixing link
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

Quote Originally Posted by Lone View Post
    Here is a link to the video that was in the EN post . I was pretty appalled they posted it too
    That is one of the most appalling displays of "non-horsemanship" that I've ever seen. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

3 members found this post helpful.

Holy moly. That was much worse than I imagined it might be. Yikes. I agree with you.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

The loud, idiotic freak-out of excitement afterwards shows the rider thought it was stupid too…
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone View Post
    This turns my stomach. People should know better.

On the one hand: yikes.

On the other hand: perhaps not too surprising.

I'd suggest giving feedback directly to EN as well; quality control is most definitely an issue over there.

3 members found this post helpful.

I didn't like some of the gifs they posted today either. Especially the foal slipping on ice .
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    I didn't like some of the gifs they posted today either. Especially the foal slipping on ice .
    I actually found the gifs far more objectionable than the horse jumping the other horse. The jumping horse I chalked up to goofy NH type stuff where the goal appears to be to try to get horses to accept increasingly bizarre scenarios that go against their prey instincts. Not my cup of tea but not necessarily abuse. Just kind of dumb.
    The gifs on the other hand were kind of meanspirited.

This goes against what I said when they first started having the "funny" posts a couple of years ago, but I don't think those posts on the main page fit in with what EN should be about. I'd prefer a link that you can open or not.

Holy hell. Those gifs are mean-spirited to the point of cruelty.

We all know there are people out there who are numbskulled enough to post videos of vulnerable animals in various stages of distress. But to collect them and celebrate them as funny?

It's a sad day when an eventing website can't distinguish between amusing and cruel. That's twice now. At least the first offense was taken down, but you'd think they'd learn.

2 members found this post helpful.

People can be so stupid...those poor horse(s)/people could have been seriously injured

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Holy hell. Those gifs are mean-spirited to the point of cruelty.

We all know there are people out there who are numbskulled enough to post videos of vulnerable animals in various stages of distress. But to collect them and celebrate them as funny?

It's a sad day when an eventing website can't distinguish between amusing and cruel. That's twice now. At least the first offense was taken down, but you'd think they'd learn.
    I have to admit....I disliked the Gifs as well. But then I sort of dislike Gifs in general.....

But the guy hitting the post and the horses falling through the ice....ugh. Those things could have resulted in serious injuries. And the others...all I could think was how lucky no broken bones.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

After reading these posts I won't even go to EN today, I don't want to see it.

What does gif stand for, anyway?
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Thumbs down

Oh, I'm so glad HappyHoppingHaffy started this thread! I saw the video on Saturday on my phone, and wanted to put a comment on there (on EN, in their comments section) how inappropriate/dangerous I thought it was, but my phone wouldnt cooperate. Later that evening, when I got onto the "real" (laptop) computer, it had been removed.

That was downright dangerous! If that horse (the one on the ground) had popped up early, it would have been disasterous for all involved. I dont know how anyone could/would think it was "cool". And how it was supposed to be related to eventing/event riders. And I hate it when people say stuff like "its just one of those eventers, being crazy, as usual"........that sort of thing drives me nuts. And there was that sort of "comment/commentary" that was part of the actual write up that came with the video (from EN), that attempted to tie it in to eventing/things event riders do.

And yes, most of those GIF's today were pretty cringe-worthy. Not really funny.

I normally LOVE EN, and read it daily, but sometimes I really gotta wonder who's "minding the shop" when stuff like that gets posted........
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day, saying "I will try again tomorrow" -Mary Ann Radmacher

Wearing a helmet saved my eyesight

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post

Graphics Interchange Format

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    After reading these posts I won't even go to EN today, I don't want to see it.

Graphic Interchange Format....basically those stupid little short video clips.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **