The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Northern Illinois between Chicago and the Wisconsin state line

Default Gift Ideas for a Trainer?

So I've been with my awesome trainer for 2 months and am looking for a gift in the $25 range. I'm kinda at a loss at this point. Anyone got any good ideas?

SmartWool socks. I haven't yet met a horse trainer who dislikes warm, durable, washable, excellent socks. For extra credit, stuff the SmartWool socks in a travel mug with a few Starbucks Via instant coffee packets.

Higher Standards Leather Care Soap or Leather Balm. This stuff is AWESOME. There's a long ol' thread about it in the Eventing forum. There's already one seasonal scent called CinnaMint, and Libby is supposedly developing another one that smells more like a Christmas tree.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/HigherStandardsFarm

A $25 gift card to the nearest coffee shop, or restaurant, would probably be much appreciated too.

1 members found this post helpful.

With only 2 months, do you know of any food items your trainer likes?

My trainer and his wife have their own property from which they run the business, so both are heavily involved in the care of my horses/helping me despite only one being the pro rider. A bunch of us are getting together to give a gift certificate to the tack/feed store they use, but in addition the wife is getting a homemade hat and scarf and the husband is getting homemade peanut butter cookies which we recently discovered are his favorites. If I had only been there 2 months, I would think just the homemade items were more than enough.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

A bunch of us are going in on a gift where I'm at too, but I always joke that my coach probably needs a glass (or four) of wine after working with me, so I'm going to get a few bottles for her.

If I have time, I might whip together a scarf for her in the barn colors.

I like the travel mug + Via packets idea. Or a favorite flavor of tea if yours prefers that instead.

This may sound weird but I saw the beers that were in my trainer's recycling bin (at the barn) and got a six pack of those one year. Dressed the bottles up like reindeer, it was kind of awesome. These weren't mine, but they looked very similar (saw it on pinterest)
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_iXOMxV8Avi...r-rootdeer.jpg
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

You all have some great ideas. I may have to "borrow" one of these.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

A gift card for Starbucks in a travel mug

I don't know about yours, but my trainer is NOT a fan of cooking, so a great gift she always enjoys is a homecooked meal. I have packaged up a nice lunch or dinner and given it to her as a gift before. You could include a bottle of wine or adult beverage of choice. I also saw a cute thing on Pinterest with a mason jar with homemade hot chocolate mix in it and an airplane bottle of Bailey's tied to it with a bow. That would be cute to throw in there too for dessert!

Gift cards are awesome. Seriously. Starbucks, Target, gas, or even better an American Express or Visa gift card that can be used anywhere.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Wine. Even the nondrinkers tend to appreciate having a bottle around that they can regift at a party or something.

CASH - the one thing that every horse trainer lacks but needs. At my old barn where I had my horse in training, I would round up all the customers and try to get everyone to pitch in cash for a big ticket item I knew my trainer needed. One year we got enough to pay for half of her custom made saddle suit. Another year it went towards stall curtains. My trainer has told me multiple times how much she appreciated it!!!

I do not advise gifting your favorite novel if your favorite novel is Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. However, perhaps a nice book. A gift card to her favorite restaurant. I feel like my coach has every horsey item imagineable, and she dresses much warmer and cuter than I do.
    If you are of age to buy wine, there are several brands with 'horse' titles that are very cute.

Default Great Gifts

There's a small company called Deco Pony that does Custom Stall Guards, Totes & purses with your Photos or Logos on them! They also have really nice designs of their own you can buy. It would be a very unique gift for the Rider who has everything. I think they do Gift certificates too… http://decopony.com