The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    Husband: "How does Austria have a navy?"
    This is something the Austrian tour guide asked us on The Sound of a Music tour in Salzburg. The Austro-Hungarian empire was enormous and existed from the mid 1800's until the end of a World War I in 1918. They had lots of coastline, including what is now the coast of Croatia. They were a mighty power back then.

There were so many inaccuracies in the movie but I still love it. My favorite is that at the end of the movie, when they climb to freedom over the mountain, they are actually headed I to Germany. And in reality, they took the train.

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    I have liked it so far, but is Carrie pregnant?
    I'm sure if she is we'll know soon enough, as the babydamnbump will be everywhere. Followed a few months later by 222,377 photos online of the postbabydamnbody.

http://jezebel.com/the-five-most-exc...ium=socialflow

OMG, I'm dying! And they are spot on about Rolf and his shorts! Did y'all catch the man thong pantyline? Gag me!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

4 members found this post helpful.

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

That's funny, jen-s, and the part that I agree with the most was Stephen Moyer's rendition of Edelweiss. Didn't I say earlier on this thread that much as I like Christopher Plummer, he didn't seem comfortable in the role, and I was looking forward to someone who might do it better? Well, this guy wasn't it. At least Plummer managed to put some passion in it and made us understand that he wasn't singing about a flower, but about his beloved country.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I hate to say it, but while the movie was, indeed, the gold standard, and I saw the play in London years ago, I still loved the music and the story and felt a bit emotional several times....I didn't go in trying to critique it, guess I'm just not that deep.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    And if I'm thinking of the right actress, I've seen her do a fantastic job on Broadway, for which she won a Tony.
    Yep. Laura Benanti played Louise in Gypsy alongside Patti LuPone a few years ago and was amazing. She's also great in concert, if you have the chance to see her.

I guess that was the real problem with this staging, in mixing experienced and inexperienced stage performers the unequal experience and comfort really showed.

But having Audra McDonald's rendition of Climb Ev'ry Mountain recorded is glorious and worth the strained acting that followed...

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie A View Post
    Yep. Laura Benanti played Louise in Gypsy alongside Patti LuPone a few years ago and was amazing.
    Yes, that's where I saw her. Anyone who can co-star with Patti LuPone and still make an impression has some major chops!

I like the comment from that article "I just watched the worst true blood episode ever." LOL!

3 members found this post helpful.

Couldn't watch it after about 15 minutes, while Carrie Underwood is very pretty, something about her singing just sets my teeth on edge. Even singing country songs, she always seems to be....straining, or "pushing" the notes out. It really gets to me, have to turn the volume down, or change the channel.....Although she's definitely NOT as terrible as Taylor Swift-eeeeewwwww...

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by spurgirl View Post
    Couldn't watch it after about 15 minutes, while Carrie Underwood is very pretty, something about her singing just sets my teeth on edge. Even singing country songs, she always seems to be....straining, or "pushing" the notes out. It really gets to me, have to turn the volume down, or change the channel.....Although she's definitely NOT as terrible as Taylor Swift-eeeeewwwww...
    How can anyone tell what Taylor Swift's voice even sounds like on recordings through all that autotune?!

I actually think Carrie Underwood has a beautiful voice but they have her so stylized in the way she sings on her recordings. It's part of the whole county music "machine." Nothing, and I mean NOTHING is more "produced" than the way those songs sound. But if you listen to her on the duet of "I Told You So".... she's got an undeniably gifted voice.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I ended up watching the whole thing as my 4yo found it riveting. I still thinks its one of the dumbest musicals ever. Sorry. Mr. PF loves it and he gets cranky when I make fun, but seriously, I think I broke something rolling my eyes.

I thought the singing was fine. Carrie sang fine (I'm not a Julie Andrews fan, so thought she did a fine job). Her acting was terrible, but the book isn't exactly Shakespeare here either. I liked Moyer's singing (certainly better than Plummer's!), and he was a better actor than Carrie, but I heard him slip in to Bill's southern accent a few times, so kept waiting for him to pop fang and eat a Nazi, but sadly that never happened. McDonald is a fab singer, but that Climb Every Mountain song is the worst. At least I wasn't afraid my TV would shatter like when the chick in the movie sings it.

I am happy that NBC decided to try something different. I hope they do it again, with better material.
    Phoenix Farm ~ Breeding-Training-Sales
    Eventing, Dressage, Young Horses
    www.phoenixsporthorses.com
    Check out my new blog: http://califcountrymom.blogspot.com

I guess we can all look on the bright side and be happy they didn't have Taylor Swift play Maria. Phew!

12 members found this post helpful.

Missed it. Bummed - thought it was tonight. Wonder if they'll replay it. Just curious to see how it was going to turn out. Well, instead it was us ladies & horses & wine last night - hard to beat!
    How can there be so many currents in such a little puddle?
    National Velvet

I'm watching it tonight at www.nbc.com with no trouble. Actually, through some incredible oversight, it is running with no commercials, so it should only take half as long to see the whole thing.

Carrie Underwood singing the part of Maria is just like Madonna singing the part of Evita. Yes, both can sing but the quality of their voices are not like Julie Andrews or Patti Lupone. Nor is their acting. Julie Andrews had a tremendous voice and honed her acting skills on the live stage. Same thing for Pattie Lupone. While doing a rock concert does require some acting and performance, the audiences are probably more forgiving and less educated as they are probably more wacked out. Thumbs down on this performance.

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

It's gotten a lot of negative comments on twitter, I hear. The reviews seem to be, not glowing, but, more forgiving. I hope that the networks do it again, and look at the ratings, instead.

I'm of an age where I can remember when there were many more musical productions on TV. Does anyone else remember Mary Martin in "Peter Pan?" And an opera called "Amahl and the Night Visitors" that was shown every year at Christmas time? It was such fun to gather around the TV to watch programs like that. I wouldn't mind seeing its like come back.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

3 members found this post helpful.

Now that I've seen it, I will say that Julie Andrews and company need not fear that their efforts will be overshadowed. To say the least.

On the other hand, apparently it got huge ratings, so maybe they will have more presentations like this in the future, hopefully with even better results.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    I'm watching it tonight at www.nbc.com with no trouble. Actually, through some incredible oversight, it is running with no commercials, so it should only take half as long to see the whole thing.
    Thanks, MHM!
    A little ad block adjusting, and I've got it. Will watch tonight. (So guess that's admitting to all just how exciting MY life is. LOL)
    How can there be so many currents in such a little puddle?
    National Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    Thanks, MHM!
    A little ad block adjusting, and I've got it. Will watch tonight. (So guess that's admitting to all just how exciting MY life is. LOL)
    You're welcome. And hey, welcome to the club.

actually to me it was a very poor performance... I have seen high school performances that were better

but I only saw a few seconds of it, my stomach started to turn