The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I could only watch for about a minute. It was a scene when Maria went back to the convent. There was some sort of annoying background sound (a fountain, maybe? or really bad microphone hiss) that I just couldn't ignore, so I changed the channel. Never heard any singing.

I have liked it so far, but is Carrie pregnant?
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

I just tuned in. I'm not okay with this. Not only can't Carrie Underwood act but why does Rolf look like he's 35? Couldn't they find someone a bit more age-appropriate to play a 17 year old kid?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MMacallister View Post
    I have liked it so far, but is Carrie pregnant?
    OMG, I thought that too! I'm gonna feel like a jerk if she isn't, but she looks exactly like my sister who is just about 12 weeks along - just has that little teeny "pouch" look starting.
    My CANTER cutie Chip and IHSA shows!
    http://www.youtube.com/kheit86

Quote Originally Posted by To the MAX View Post
    OMG, I thought that too! I'm gonna feel like a jerk if she isn't, but she looks exactly like my sister who is just about 12 weeks along - just has that little teeny "pouch" look starting.
    I wondered, too. Not specifically because of the way she looks, it was just a thought. Actually I was thinking how miserable a live production like this could be if you had morning sickness. Could it be the COTHers are on the cutting edge of celebrity news and gossip? Hmmmm.....
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Watching it now...wouldn't it be a helluva lot easier to sneak away from the Nazis if you weren't singing?

And carrying lanterns?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    I'm the total opposite--I think Carrie is a DISASTER as Maria. Her voice is too bass, harsh, and lacks any joy. Maria's character was light and a little flaky. I think her best number so far was the goatherd song. The rest, pretty much total dreck.
    Agreed. I think Carrie's acting coach may be out of a job.
    I did of course enjoy the Broadway veterans (Audra, Christian, Laura), but I'm not sure that makes up for her. The 6 year old is even a better actress than she is.

1 members found this post helpful.

I thought it was a little slow to get going, but once it did I enjoyed it enormously.

Wasn't as bad as I expected for the first half, but they lost me when Frau Schrader started singing!! Went to bed after that.
    And what is up with the costumes? All different styles and I bet not true to the era. Hated the wedding dress (and new hairdo)

The characters lacked the subtleties of the movie ones, although I did quite like the children. Uncle Max was the worst!

On the positive, I liked Carrie's voice and most of the songs with the children.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

I loved it! We did this play in high school and I think alot of people were confused when they sang different songs in different parts than the movie (ie. "Favorite Things" is sung during the storm in the movie, but in the stage production, it is sung earlier to give Maria courage when leaving the church the first time.)

And...people don't realize that Frau Schrader does indeed sing 2 songs in the play but not in the movie.

I think it was a fabulous performance and I would love to see more live musical theater on prime time network TV!
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

4 members found this post helpful.

I still liked it, although I loved all the Broadway performers (Audra. Laura, Christain, all people I love!) so much more. Carrie tried, so I will give her credit for that (and I love her voice). Read that it did excellent ratings wise, so hope more shows like this will happen in the future.

3 members found this post helpful.

They lost me after 15 minutes - was TERRIBLE, No one could act and many sounded off key.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Carrie is either preggo or the costume designer should be fired.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I recorded it. Looking forward to watching it.

Now I will have to look for pregnancy signs.

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I thoroughly enjoyed it. The movie is still the gold standard, but it was fun seeing the stage interpretation of it. I'm glad I watched.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Watching it now...wouldn't it be a helluva lot easier to sneak away from the Nazis if you weren't singing?

And carrying lanterns?
    LOL

Will just add my 2 cents' worth -- the only bit I saw is where Maria and Georg have just come home from their honeymoon and Max is telling Georg that the children must sing for the sake of Austria and that -- I think -- Georg might as well try to get along with the Nazis. I don't know who the guy is who is playing Georg, but his reaction to Max was not an Austrian naval captain's outrage and disgust -- to me it looked more like a prima donna having a hissy fit. It was like, for that split second, the guy wasn't acting but was just giving his impression of a teenage girl with her knickers in a twist.
    Rack on!

Carrie Underwood reminded me of community theater. She is very good at what she does, but she can't act, and she can't sing broadway. Her vowels made me cringe.

The nuns were by far my favorite! Audra is such a pro. LOVE her! I've had the opportunity to accompany her as part of an orchestra, and I'm a fan. I watched long enough to here her sing Climb Ev'ry Mountain, and then I was done. I knew nothing to come in the rest of the show would top it

Kudos to NBC for providing 3 hours of musical family entertainment!

For me, there was also this weird vibe of "the father going for the teen age baby sitter." Yes, I know both Julie and Carrie were 30 in their respective movie/play, but there was a bit a the ditsy blonde with Carrie, while Julie did seem a lot more mature.
    Captain Von Trapp was too much of a softy on TV last night also. Hard to imagine him as a Captain in the army, whereas the original one had that edge of toughness mixed with melancholy.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    I just tuned in. I'm not okay with this. Not only can't Carrie Underwood act but why does Rolf look like he's 35? Couldn't they find someone a bit more age-appropriate to play a 17 year old kid?
    Agreed.
    "I am seventeen, going on eighteen..."
    "No you're not."
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by Dramapony_misty View Post
    And...people don't realize that Frau Schrader does indeed sing 2 songs in the play but not in the movie.
    And if I'm thinking of the right actress, I've seen her do a fantastic job on Broadway, for which she won a Tony.

It's unfortunate that for all sorts of things, they cast people who are famous, rather than people who are best suited for the job. I haven't watched this show yet, but there are so many incredibly talented performers on Broadway who could have killed this thing. It's too bad that the name brand factor is so important these days. Although it's probably always been true to some degree.