The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Not to worry, Louise, I remember Mary Martin in Peter Pan and Amahl and the Night Visitors. Right on that old BW Bunny-eared TV. My mom made us watch it.

3 members found this post helpful.

I DVR'd it and haven't watched yet but I love Carrie Underwood, but then I've been listening to Country music since the 60's.

Considering it's a live show, it should be interesting. I'm not even sure one could compare it to the movie.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Just watch it for what it is worth - have a glass half full attitude and not the glass half empty. That applies to life in general .. it is a show, that is all it is, a couple of hours on tv that you will not get back again. I enjoyed it, despite a few 'umm' moments.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

5 members found this post helpful.

It looked very forced, didn't stay tuned very long. Lovely music just did not flow well.

Finally got the chance to watch it. Agree with most. Carrie not a great actress, but wasn't as bad as I expected. That's a lot of hard work knowing staging, doing the singing, having to dance, and memorizing lines.

Agree she's best when more understated than her usual booming voice - which sometimes gives me headaches as well when she does her usual C/W bit. Would love to continue to hear her sing with more nuance than volume. She DOES have a nice voice, but sometimes you can't hear its quality through her singing as expected.

The rest of the cast was terrific, too. I wonder if Audra McDonald is pregnant more than Carrie Underwood. She was just married again last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I'm of an age where I can remember when there were many more musical productions on TV. Does anyone else remember Mary Martin in "Peter Pan?" And an opera called "Amahl and the Night Visitors" that was shown every year at Christmas time? It was such fun to gather around the TV to watch programs like that. I wouldn't mind seeing its like come back.
    Absolutely - loved them both, and especially miss Amahl. Even have the record somewhere!

Expect they put this with Carrie Underwood in the lead for the ratings. But it would be great if musicals were brought back to TV every once in a while.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    For me, there was also this weird vibe of "the father going for the teen age baby sitter." Yes, I know both Julie and Carrie were 30 in their respective movie/play, but there was a bit a the ditsy blonde with Carrie, while Julie did seem a lot more mature.
    Not that this was supposed to be a documentary or anything, but according to Wikipedia, there was a 25 year age gap between Maria and Captain Von Trapp in real life. They got married when she was 22, and had three more kids together within the next few years. They were married for 20 years, until he passed away from lung cancer in 1947.

Side note- I've been to the Von Trapp property in Vermont, where they run an inn, back when the horse show used to be in Stowe. It is beautiful there, and the surrounding countryside does look a little bit like the mountain views at the beginning of the movie.

1 members found this post helpful.

Maria was also pregnant when they fled too.

And while this was good enough, it wasn't as enjoyable to me as the movie, and the book is better still.

I watched it this weekend.

To me it watched like a stage show shot on video. Which is very different than a movie or TV show. Not better or worse, different. I was not watching it expecting it to view like an edited movie.
    I really enjoyed the kids (which is always the highlight of any production of the Sound of Music).

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I really enjoyed the kids (which is always the highlight of any production of the Sound of Music).
    Was is just me, or did the youngest kid look a little big to be picked up and carried around so much?

I realize that for a live performance, the kids have to be old enough to be reliable, but I kept thinking the adult actors were going to have sore backs the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I watched it this weekend.

To me it watched like a stage show shot on video. Which is very different than a movie or TV show. Not better or worse, different. I was not watching it expecting it to view like an edited movie.
    Same here.

No, Carrie wasn't great - but I enjoyed it a lot anyway. I expected it to be a bit campy with some overacting, simply because I was thinking of it as a stage show and actors who are acting to be noticed by the back of the room look like they're overacting when there's an HD camera in their face. Interestingly, the stage actors actually seemed most subtle to me. I didn't think it was fantastic, but I enjoyed it - and it filled that "I really miss live theater" hole for me.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

2 members found this post helpful.

I watched about half of it before I gave up. I thought it was terrible.

Carrie looked stiff and scared the whole time, I couldn't get over her calling her husband "gay-ORG" in a Southern accent. I kept waiting for Stephen Moyer to whine about his first wife Sookie and to burst into flames when outside in the sun. Rolfe was old enough to know better than to date a 17 year old...

Just not a fan, the original movie is by far my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Action42 View Post
    Rolfe was old enough to know better than to date a 17 year old...
    I saw somewhere that the actor who played Rolfe was a college student. So he may not have been 18, but he wasn't 35, either. He did look a bit mature for the part.

His shorts were certainly an unfortunate fashion choice. Especially the Nazi shorts.

I was surprised he helped them escape at the end. Is that true to the stage version?

I saw about the second half of it (starting when Maria came back after running away to the abbey).

Oh my gosh, worst thing ever. Just awful. The singing was good, but the script and acting were horrid. I was aghasted.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    I saw about the second half of it (starting when Maria came back after running away to the abbey).

Oh my gosh, worst thing ever. Just awful. The singing was good, but the script and acting were horrid. I was aghasted.
    According to Carrie Underwood, you're a Mean Person Who Needs Jesus.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1541350

just watched some clips of it and I agree that the fact there was a mixture of experienced stage actors and non experienced made certain things stand out. Like on the whole, I like Carrie Underwood's voice. Its a good radio voice. However, on stage? I was cringing and thinking "girl you don't have to belt EVERYTHING out!". And her acting was wooden, but I imagine some of that might have been nerves.

Does anyone else still have the music stuck in their head, days later? Particularly "Do Re Mi" and "Lonely Goatherd"?

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Does anyone else still have the music stuck in their head, days later? Particularly "Do Re Mi" and "Lonely Goatherd"?
    Argh! "Lonely Goatherd" has been running around in there for days!
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Mara View Post
    According to Carrie Underwood, you're a Mean Person Who Needs Jesus.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.1541350
    I'm totally cool with that.

I don't really blame the actors... I'm sure they did their best. The people who cast, produced, and directed this fiasco are another story.
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    "Do Re Mi" and "Favorite Things" for me. Ugh.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

I just cannot get the aflac duck commercial out of my mind when the acting coach is trying to teach the duck to say something with force.... "I am so fired" was his under the breath comment... I believe Underwood’s acting coach may never ever find another job

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkxTuS8lNIQ