The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Spinoff, what do you love or hate about your horse?

I've got a wonderful 'packer' that will soon turn 22 yrs. I've had him since he was 7 coming 8.

I hate the fact that he occasionally defecates in the water bucket! My water buckets are the insulated type so no handle to easily pick up.

I also hate the fact that my guy has allergies to the Rochester area (he came from southern NJ) and/or phototic headshake which made riding from April to October a royal PITA.

I love that he is beautifully trained on the flat and over fences and truly took care of me when I did ride him.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I hate that my usually perfect 24-yo dumped me in the field today and then (after watching to make sure I got up) went galloping and bucking merrily back to her paddock mate. Is that a cracked rib? Never mind. Don't want to know. La-la-la-la-la..... But, I love that she dumped me in the field, because it means she's feeling better after being mysteriously dull for a couple months. Hoo-yah! My horse is back! :-)

Seriously, though, I love everything about this horse except that, as she gets older, I hate that she can't tell me whether something I can't identify is bothering her, or whether she just is sleepy that day.

I've had my 10 y.o. TB for 4 1/2 years now.

Loves: he's affectionate, takes care of his rider and is honest as the day is long, lets me know when something is wrong, can go barefoot, has a good brain, has a pretty face......there's a lot more!

Dislikes: I wish he'd come when I call because his pasture is big and he likes to hang on the sidehills. I also wish I could ground mount him, but he's too tall for my uncoordinated self. He's also been known to spook at other horses.......yet things like herds of buffalo and cattle and the combine harvesting sorghum are totally OK. Yeah, I don't really get that one.

I love that I am finally seeing his Fella's real personality and he's a real cut up! I hate how hard he is to fit a bloody saddle. But hate is a strong word -it's an irritation trying to find a dressage saddle for him but it's all good.

I love how he's taught me to be a better person.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).