The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Concrete floor under stalls?

I have a wagon shed/carriage house that I put a concrete floor in a few years ago to use the building as storage. I have a new boarder who has 3 horses and she keeps asking me if we could convert it into a little barn for her. It has enough room to put in 3 12x12 stalls and still have a nice width aisle. It already has a little side room for tack and feed and adjoins the field, so it would be cute.
    My only issue is with the concrete floor. I really don't want to pull it up, but I'm not sure about housing horses on it. I would put down mats, or whatever is needed. The horses are mostly out 24/7 but in case of really bad weather or the night before a show they would be in.
    Anyone have any advise on stalls on concrete?

My barn has a concrete foundation. I use stall mats on top of the concrete, then place bedding on top of that.

It works very well. Mine live out most of the time, but they do stay in when the weather is godawful or before a high holy day. I don't have problems with animals digging under the foundation, I don't have problems with digging out pee spots, or curled or shifting mats,nothing. It works fine. We built the barn that way on purpose, so I didn't have to deal with rotting structural members or muck or rodents.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

2 members found this post helpful.

I know several concrete floor barns, mats will help horses legs. You must deeply bed the stalls so urine is soaked up (and horses are not laying in puddles by 3:00 AM) when the horses stay in. I had a horse that developed urine burns on his hip when the lumber mill ran low on shavings and the barn had to put less bedding in the stalls.

1 members found this post helpful.

If the horses are just going to be in occasionally, I wouldn't even worry about it between the mats and the bedding.

I've worked and boarded in lots of barns with concrete floors. I've noticed arthritic horses often get more arthritic when kept on concrete regularly (even with mats and deep bedding). Otherwise, most horses are completely fine.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Just left a barn with concrete under mats. Very strong urine smell in the warm weather, walked in one day and thought someone had hosed the barn floor down. Nope, whenever the weather was humid the concrete floor was soaking wet. I would not recommend.

I would personally pay more to have my horses NOT on concrete. If you were building a barn any barn builder (worth his weight) would tell you why it's bad for horses to stand on it.

I think the only option that would make it OK, in my book, would be to install a "stall mattress" system in all three stalls.
    http://www.classic-equine.com/posts/stall-mattress

If you put mats down and the horses are not in 24 hours a day, everyday, I wouldn't hesitate to make it into stalls. If urine smell becomes a problem put some barn lime down under the bedding.

We have concrete under our stalls, horses have been on it for over 20 yrs with no issues. We have stall mats and bed with sawdust, horses have 24/7 turnout so they aren't standing in the stalls all day/night. I've never had any issue with smell, I do used Sweet PDZ on wet spots when cleaning. For us because of how our property is and the kind of rain we get, concrete is the only option. While we aren't in a flood zone, we get flooding rains and our property is sloped so rain can make a muddy mess, barn has flooded several times during tropical storms, had we dirt stalls they would have been destroyed.
    "My treasures do not chink or gleam, they glitter in the sun and neigh at night."

I don't like concrete floored stalls myself BUT in the situation like you described, it wouldn't bother me. I've been in a boarding barn with concrete and the horses spent a lot if time in the stalls. Did not like that as they did seem more achy in general and we often had issues with stocking up. But where horses spent a more reasonable amount of time in, like you describe, not a problem. Mats over concrete would be fine IMO.

Stall mats and then bedding is your best option. Sweet PDZ used judiciously works well to control ammonia.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

Bedding over stall mats over concrete is very nice. That is one feature I would not live without when we built our barn. We have housed aged retirees, heavy brood mares, rambunctious youngsters, show horses, and all sorts. Never had any issues.

We have had both a clay base and a concrete base. The clay base was a pain to upkeep, constantly had to fill in pee holes or shift mats around. If it rained heavily the stalls would get mucky. Now we are in a barn with a concrete floor and each stall has a drain under the mats. Maintenance is next to nothing!

I was talking with my boarder and told her we would go ahead and do it. She was thrilled.
    Now she's trying to convince me to let her move into the little apartment above the carriage house.
    I told her I would have to think on that one. It's really just a little space that I use when lots of family comes.
    Back story on the boarder. I taught her from 7 years old to 18, when she went to Uni. Now she's moved back with her JR horse, it's 1 year old baby, and a 5 year old green.