The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Please Help (Abused Horses)

Hi all -

A case of severe horse neglect has come to my attention this week. Unfortunately, not much is being done by authorities to remove the horses from the situation. Local equestrians are coming together to try and get these horses moved before any more fatalities occurred. We are reaching out to the Department of Agriculture, RCMP, SPCA, and media, but we could use your help too.

Please, take a moment to read this petition and if you feel what is happening is unjust, sign your name. The more support, the better. This matter cannot continue on being ignored; there are lives at stake.

Thank you in advance.

Petition

I signed. What the hell is wrong with people?

1 members found this post helpful.

You might want to add the word Canada to the title. I doubt they will care about signatures from the US.

I wondered too about non-Canadian signatures. But, the scroll down has a listing of states, and I thought I could shame them as well as a Canook could. International disapprobation is not as bad as refusing to donate to political campaigns, but it can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    You might want to add the word Canada to the title. I doubt they will care about signatures from the US.
    By that logic, they wouldn't care about other provinces either as it's Nova Scotia Legislature. The point we are trying to get across is that there is a very big problem. And if it's so big that we have signatures from distraught Americans, all the better.

Thank you to those who have signed.

Signed. This is very sad, and I hope the petition does some good.

Signed, we all should work to make life better for the animals in our (collective) care. It is terrible that these animals will have no justice and no protection.

Signed, people suck

Just signed. Come on COTHers, this petition only needs another 350 signatures. Lets keep this on the top of the page and get this done. No animal deserves to live this way. Think about the ones thriving in your back yard or pampered in your boarding barn.
    Last edited by twelvegates; Dec. 4, 2013 at 09:07 PM.
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

Its been a little over an hour and now only 282 signatures needed.
    Nothing with horses is ever easy or cheap. And if it is, you're doing it wrong. They always rip out part of your soul when they leave. I guess that's how they find us later.

Need about 200 more!!!

(Shameless attempt to keep this at the top of the list.)

twelvegates, I really appreciate your efforts!

In a little over two days, we have more than 7,000 signatures. This is absolutely amazing, and I hope people will continue to support our efforts. This goes beyond the horses at this facility; the regulations surrounding animal abuse need to change.

We no longer have a set number of signatures we are aiming for; we just hope to have as many people as possible sign to help vocalize the issue. This petition is making waves across Canada and beyond, and we hope it will play a role in getting authorities to take action.

If you haven't already, please take a look and sign your name if the story moves you.

To those of you who have already signed: my sincerest gratitude.

There is a new Equine Code of Practice for Canada.

http://www.nfacc.ca/codes-of-practice/equine

I went to a seminar in Nanaimo, B. C. this past week and the new code makes it very clear what is acceptable treatment of horses.

It also states that action must be taken if horses are found in distress.

Dalemma

Does the code have teeth or is it just "suggested"? All too often here, even laws on animal welfare are ignored. And, of course, there's also the problem that such cretins who pull this sort of abuse probably can't read.

Maybe if the facility's owner was sent a copy of the document it would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermein View Post
    Does the code have teeth or is it just "suggested"? All too often here, even laws on animal welfare are ignored. And, of course, there's also the problem that such cretins who pull this sort of abuse probably can't read.

Maybe if the facility's owner was sent a copy of the document it would help.
    I believe the code just came into practice in July of this year so it has not been tested in a court of law. The hope is that is will give judges something concrete to work with when determining what is acceptable treatment for horses.

I will give you an example........in the past some horses owners have argued......my horses have water......they have snow.....well with this new code.....it states very clearly snow is not an acceptable source of water.....so a judge that does not know any thing about horses should be able to make the correct judgement with regards to a water issue.

Dalemma
    Last edited by Dalemma; Dec. 5, 2013 at 02:55 PM.

Unfortunately, there are still a lot of grey areas in that code. The Department of Agriculture (the body that governs this sort of situation) says they will only act upon animals in "distress" - which means what, exactly? Thus far they seem to be concerned only with "immediate distress"; according to officials with the DoA, no animals have been in "immediate distress" during their visits. This does not mean, however, that there are not animals in "distress", or that there are not animals in "immediate distress" during times that the DoA is not present.

Terminology like that leads to horses being left behind. For example, there was a severely emaciated horse seen by a DoA vet and no action was taken. Less than 48 hours later, the horse was dead. Would you consider that distress? I certainly would.

There is too much room for interpretation in things like this. We need regulations that are much more strict and are properly adhered to. This is a large part of our goal with the current campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by overthemoon View Post
    Unfortunately, there are still a lot of grey areas in that code. The Department of Agriculture (the body that governs this sort of situation) says they will only act upon animals in "distress" - which means what, exactly? Thus far they seem to be concerned only with "immediate distress"; according to officials with the DoA, no animals have been in "immediate distress" during their visits. This does not mean, however, that there are not animals in "distress", or that there are not animals in "immediate distress" during times that the DoA is not present.

Terminology like that leads to horses being left behind. For example, there was a severely emaciated horse seen by a DoA vet and no action was taken. Less than 48 hours later, the horse was dead. Would you consider that distress? I certainly would.

There is too much room for interpretation in things like this. We need regulations that are much more strict and are properly adhered to. This is a large part of our goal with the current campaign.
    Are you referring to the new code that just came out?

Quote Originally Posted by Dalemma View Post
    Are you referring to the new code that just came out?
    Yes, and the DoA's comments on it. If you read through it, the requirements still leave room for interpretation. There are more specifics, but they are just recommendations. I don't see anything there about seizing animals, either.

Where I live, it's very difficult to start a fire under animal control's butt. They don't want to hear about horses in distress (or anything else for that matter). They do have limited funds, & and it's more costly to feed a horse than 40 pit bull puppies, so they drag their feet. But, if you nag long enough and contact their bosses and your representative often enough, they will do something. Another effective move is to get the media involved.