The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Will 5 kittehs make us the crazy cat couple? We are officially crazy!

Against my better judgement, DH and I went to a local vet hospital/adoption center this morning. I am a "friend" on Facebook and see all the updates about new critters needing homes and which ones find homes. Including waaay cute pictures of puppies and kittehs... We looked on their site yesterday and saw a few cats we thought were cute/pretty(not many are actual kittens) with a few exotic marked ones. They are also running a cat "special" until Tues for basically 1/2 off.

Sooo today we show up and wander around the cat room. Ask one of volunteers a few we didn't see in cages and are told some have been adopted, one is in another location, but when I asked about the Abyssinian kittens she looked puzzled then went to the back and grabbed an armload of kitteh. 1 male and 1 female, ~14wks, very beautiful cats despite being in the "gangly teenager" stage. Took them into the "cat playroom," were told they could be a bit shy at first but love to play, the male not a huge fan of cuddling.

They started off pretty aloof, not really interested in the toy enticement from us. About 15min later they started to relax, the female let DH pick her up and hold her, she was very docile. The male was still a little skittish, but eventually came around. By the end both were chasing and bopping the feather toys with the female taking the lead and the male joining in. We got the feeling that these 2 should go together. The female would probably be fine, but the male, with him taking a lot of cues from his sister, might have issues away from her(says the lady who has a cat on Prozac for his "issues").

We already have 3 awesome cats, 5, 11 and 12 yrs(2 females and 1 male), all fixed and one fairly new to us dog (1yr old, came here end of May). We certainly have the space in the house with 4 large bedrooms for 2 people (not planning on adding any humans) and the animals. We have a room we could stash these 2 to let them settle in without introducing them to the gang. We could probably easily talk ourselves into adding 1 to the crew, but 2 seems a bit much.

DH says if I can convince him these 2 kittehs should be a part of the family, we can go back. He is a cat guy, but wasn't 100% sold on those 2 with them not being so gregariously kitten-like right from the first second. I worry about them being split up and/or not getting a home because they aren't flying in your face furballs of love...

This is why I don't go to these places when not planning on taking anyone in!!! It was DH's idea to go, I SWEAR!

UPDATE 12/2: DH came home with two kittens in tow! They are currently sequestered in our spare bedroom suite. Opie and Abbey are starting to settle in after giving me a scare that they escaped their room within 15min of arrival. Upon further inspection, they decided that the boxspring is an excellent hidey hole, purrfect for hiding kittehs! Will post pictures as they work on coming into the light.
    Last edited by Heliodoro; Dec. 2, 2013 at 09:34 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.

There's no such thing as too much kitteh!!!

5 members found this post helpful.

They may make you crazy but not a crazy cat lady.

If having 5 cats makes one a crazy cat lady then I am SCREWED.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth0552 View Post
    This!

If you have room in your house, and your heart, for five, then you're not crazy.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

There's a certain number of kittehs at which getting one more or two more kittehs won't make any difference, because you already have so many kittehs. I think that number is probably around five or six, so really, if you bring this pair home, you're enabling yourself to get more kittehs in future.

There's no such thing as too many kittehs. There is such a thing as too small of a house.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

2 members found this post helpful.

Yup, I have 6 in the house with 2 dogs and 3 in the barn. Welcome to the club! Lol!

I think...you need more kitties, OP. and pictures! we want pictures!!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I've got 5 right now. We had 3 this summer, two older ladies and a 2 year old tubby male. Mr. CC and I went to a kitten adoption event at our county's shelter (40 kittens in one place! heaven...) intending to get one male. I found an adorable gray round ball of fun, Theodore. As I was checking out, Mr. CC came out with another pile of paperwork on a black and white tuxedo boy. Sigh. So we came home with Simon, too. Simon is a HOOT! Loud, cuddly, smart, personality plus--he learned to walk on the treadmill and rides on our shoulders! Theodore is quiet, playful, loves Mr. CC--they spend time playing computer games together--and cuddles with our older male when they aren't rough housing.

There is no craziness in having a plethora of kittehs. None, says the lady with 5....and 6 dogs...all in the house....
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

DO EEET!!!

Also, the Crazy Cat Lady (Person) household limit (barn cats not included) is
    1 human = three cats
    2 humans = three cats + two cats
    3 humans = three cats + two cats + one cat
    >3 humans = three cats + two cats + one cat + one cat per additional human

So you're under the wire anyway !!

We have 6.

Y'all are not helping!

Funny everyone in "real life" is saying Hellz to the NO! This is why we have the interwebz... auto-enable function cannot be held in check!

I'm going to call today to see if they are still available and maybe visit again since I only have tomorrow until the 2 for 1 deal goes bye bye... No one else wants 2 adorable Aby kittens for Christmas? I'd be willing to foster and snuggle them until then!

Do it! (Personally I stop at 4 but probably only because DH would shoot me and father would disinherit me . . . .)
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

You aren't even close at only 5 cats . Go get them or they are going to get split up and you will feel guilty forever

THIS. I've got 11 -- four barn cats, and seven in the house. Eventually, you get used to stepping over them and having a 2-feet-square spot on the bed to sleep.

I have SEVEN..that makes me screwed-- blue point? I would add more but unless they can blend in with the colors of the Siamese Mafia, they would definitely stand out...and I would be busted.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

" I'd be willing to foster and snuggle them until then" Foster? FOSTER??!?! BWHAHAHAHA...there IS no fostering these kittehs...there is only adopted. Do. Not Try. To. Kid. Yourself.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by baxtersmom View Post
    Also, the Crazy Cat Lady (Person) household limit (barn cats not included) is
    1 human = three cats
    2 humans = three cats + two cats
    3 humans = three cats + two cats + one cat
    >3 humans = three cats + two cats + one cat + one cat per additional human
    I did not know about the Official Formula for this.

Clearly it was written for use with women. (Finally, a bit of demography that assumes all people are female rather than male.) That means you must modify it for use with a male in the household.

I think men have a Cat Co-efficient of 2 (at least). So double the number of cats allowed per Man in the equation.

If the guy is macho, perhaps the co-efficient goes up to 2.5/Man or more. But that's such a rare occurrence that mathematicians haven't bothered to really get that co-efficient just right.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I approve this corollary to the Cat Lady Formula. :nods

I have 5.

Plus 1 foster cat.

They don't all get along.

I have segregated cats. If they all got along, having 5 cats would be much easier.