The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fragrance-free topical analgesics?

Is there such a thing? I'm just about out of my horse liniment (which isn't fragrance-free but I love it)and really don't want to go to Ben-Gay.

Uh, this is for humans, not the horse...
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Voltaren Gel smells perfume-y, but Surpass (the horse version!) does not. You will need your vet to write you a script, though, as it's not OTC

1 members found this post helpful.

MSJ - you can get voltaren OTC in Canada. I'm in the ROC area and find that it's well worth the drive to pick some up. $9.99 a tube vs. $50+ Rx price in the states.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I order Voltaren from feelsbest.com
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

The Voltaren gel I get from Feelbest.com is certainly not fragrance free! It's not a smell that lasts all day or anything, but it does smell perfume-y when it is applied.

Arnica also doesn't really smell (at least the kind I have doesn't). And aspercreme definitely has no odor though it isn't as good as Ben Gay Ultra, which I kind of love despite the smell.

If you don't mind menthol, Icy Hot Naturals smells but has a different, minty odor that is not at all like Ben Gay. It smells more like that gel liniment for horses.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Arnica also doesn't really smell (at least the kind I have doesn't). And aspercreme definitely has no odor though it isn't as good as Ben Gay Ultra, which I kind of love despite the smell.

If you don't mind menthol, Icy Hot Naturals smells but has a different, minty odor that is not at all like Ben Gay. It smells more like that gel liniment for horses.
    I'm game to try this one. Will look for it when I'm at the pharmacy this wk.

Thanks. Right now the one I'm using has sort of a wintergreen smell and it is a horse liniment that used to be made here in Rochester by Penwalt, a pharmaceutical company that has changed hands so many times it's amazing. I don't think it's still being made as I've never been able to find it and the bottle I'm using actually has an expiration date of 1984! And it still works.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

There's Tiger Balm, but it has a definite odor.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Make sure you get the one in the green, not the original Icy Hot. This one: http://www.drugstore.com/icy-hot-nat...FfBDMgodjXkA8g

It smells a lot better than the plain Icy Hot, I think.

fordtraktor-thanks for the heads up on the green vs the original. It's now on my shopping list for the pharmacy.

Sue

I favor natural products.. something with arnica.
    The menthol and "icy hot" products do absolutely nothing for your horse.. they just feel cold on your hands. Menthol interrupts the message that the nerve sends and has no healing properties. A lot of the other products have alcohol or acetone (even worse) so they make you're hands feel cool due to the evaporative effect. Arnica has been used for over a thousand years as is known to ease muscular pain, inflammation, and it helps increase circulation, which is the body's natural healing mechanism. You are doing no good whatsoever by putting those chemicals from the human pharmacy on your horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Eventer View Post
    I favor natural products.. something with arnica.
    The menthol and "icy hot" products do absolutely nothing for your horse.. they just feel cold on your hands. Menthol interrupts the message that the nerve sends and has no healing properties. A lot of the other products have alcohol or acetone (even worse) so they make you're hands feel cool due to the evaporative effect. Arnica has been used for over a thousand years as is known to ease muscular pain, inflammation, and it helps increase circulation, which is the body's natural healing mechanism. You are doing no good whatsoever by putting those chemicals from the human pharmacy on your horse.
    Southern Eventer, I thought I made myself clear in the original post. This isn't for my horse as I'm sure he could care less if a liniment doesn't smell like Ben Gay. This is for ME, human being!
    Sue

Obvious question, msj, but I'm going to ask it anyways. Did you Google your original product? Sometimes, it's surprising what you can find still out there, sometimes at places like Vermont Country Store.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    Obvious question, msj, but I'm going to ask it anyways. Did you Google your original product? Sometimes, it's surprising what you can find still out there, sometimes at places like Vermont Country Store.
    Louise, it was made locally by Pennwalt Corp, which was bought out by Pfizer and bought out again by who knows who. The bottle that I have had an expiration date of 1984!!!! Heaven only knows when I bought it but, it still works! Good stuff!

No, it's no longer on the shelves anywhere but, yes, I did actually google it and nothing at all.
    Sue