The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Gastritis..ugh. Tips and hints to get me well!

Woke up Thanksgiving morning with a terrible upper abdominal "tummy ache", never had anything like it. Ran all the symptoms and concluded I was not having a heart attack, gall bladder attack or alien baby, so toughed it out until Friday AM, when I hit our local clinic (thank god everyone else was out doing the Black Friday thing...walked in and out in under 20 minutes!!). Diagnosis? Gastritis brought on by (probably) stress, ibuprofen use, and a big, nasty hamburger on Wednesday night.

I'm on omeprazole, blandish diet, restricted caffeine (ahh!), nothing spicy (sniffle) for a month.

I've seriously never had this before...ever. I have an iron gut. I've tolerated ibuprofen use very well, until now I guess.

So...experiences? Tips and hints for beating this back and keeping it from returning? I have quite a bit of orthopedic pain (shoulders, knees, low back) and Tylenol does nothing for me, so I'm also kind of hurting all over right now that I can't have two ibuprofen every other day or so.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

You won't like my suggestion but I'd bet money you'd improve gluten free and would do even better ditching all grains and legumes for a time. All very inflammatory and hard to digest and quite often wheat in particular is the trigger for many autoimmune problems. The Omeprazole tells me that you already have some digestive issues and I'm assuming you are consuming modern wheat (in everything). Another thing to consider eliminating at least for a while is dairy as many adults are lactose intolerant and can also bring on many problems...not as dangerous as wheat but it's more of a make you feel lousy sort of thing.

Recommended reading is "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis and "Grain Brain" by Dr. David Perlmutter. Lifechanging information in both and the latter is more broadreaching than just mental/neurological health. He really gets into the science better than the first book.

Wheat consumption/gluten is also a problem often in body pain and arthritis so that problem might improve also. It's worth a try IMO.

2 members found this post helpful.

I have/had acid reflux which I guess is not the same but similar. My triggers were onions and garlic, which I think are both known to relax the sphincter muzzle that lets acid bubble up. Caffeine and blueberries too, oddly enough. Anyway, I just mention this because I went to a ton of doctors and no one brought this up at all. Finally I read about onions and garlic as being a trigger in a book and when I quit every last shred of them, I felt so much better.

See, it's weird, I've never been prone to heartburn, reflux, no stomach/digestive issues at all. I did give up pop 3 years ago, and felt much better with no diet pop in my system.

I am not ready to go "gluten free" frankly, but thank you for you recommendations. I'm pretty sure this is an ibuprofen related problem. I'll be talking with me regular doctor about alternatives. The doc I spoke with said that a round of omeprazole, and the other restrictions should do it, then it's a matter of managing to not piss off the stomach.

Does anyone else get a headache from omep?

Maybe you can get your Dr to write a script for Voltaren for your orthopedic pain, which is the same thing as Surpass for horses. It's a topical pain reliever and anti inflammatory. It's over-the-counter and really cheap if you can go up to Canada, so you wouldn't need a script.

Feel better!

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    You won't like my suggestion but I'd bet money you'd improve gluten free and would do even better ditching all grains and legumes for a time. All very inflammatory and hard to digest and quite often wheat in particular is the trigger for many autoimmune problems. The Omeprazole tells me that you already have some digestive issues and I'm assuming you are consuming modern wheat (in everything). Another thing to consider eliminating at least for a while is dairy as many adults are lactose intolerant and can also bring on many problems...not as dangerous as wheat but it's more of a make you feel lousy sort of thing.

Recommended reading is "Wheat Belly" by Dr. William Davis and "Grain Brain" by Dr. David Perlmutter. Lifechanging information in both and the latter is more broadreaching than just mental/neurological health. He really gets into the science better than the first book.

Wheat consumption/gluten is also a problem often in body pain and arthritis so that problem might improve also. It's worth a try IMO.
    Dayderam beat me to it.
    I used to get heart burn and sour stomach all the time. Until I gave up ALL WHEAT. I threw my pepsid Complete away. HAve not had a speck of heartburn in over 7 months! IT is the truth!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ooh...Kestrel, that sounds awesome! Hadn't thought of that type of pain reliever. When one destroys one's humerus/shoulder, one never quite feels fine, if you know what I mean. Uggy Achy.

I feel better today than yesterday, and that is how it should be. I'm being careful of what I eat--making chicken soup as I type, because Jewish Penicillin will cure anything (so says my dear Jewish friend, and I believe anything she says, because she's awesome).

Omp never affected my migraines, was given so i could test nsaids for ra, turns out even taking it with them makes me sick.

There is a coated/buffered naproxen ask your dr if they can prescribe it, its soo much better than the non coated!

But im not much help as i can only take it once before upset
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

I had to stop taking Advil due to pain and bleeding from both ends. I use Voltaren now along with Aleve. I have a friend that takes Miloxicam because everything else gives her pain in the stomach.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Yeah I have gastritis along with reflux and ortho problems. Sucky combination.

Voltaren gel helps. I was forbidden my beloved ibuprofen and aspirin. Naproxen (Aleve) was horrible for my stomach. I now have a prescription for Celebrex. Still told to use it only when really necessary, but it is supposed to be kinder to my stomach.

Oh, and drinking lots of water all through the day helps a lot (tho you get to know where all the bathrooms are...)

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

and adding that I had taken Advil for years! Then inside of one week it was intensely bad.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

I take OMP for acid reflex.

If you can find it, try some VSL#3. It is a mega probiotic and is also very useful in upper gastritis. It's expensive and usually has to be ordered at the pharmacy, but well worth it. I have a host of GI issues (hiatal hernia, malabsorption, GERD, sphincter of Oddi hypertension, biliary dyskinesia, etc.) and the VSL#3 makes a huge difference for me along with Aciphex and getting most of my water soluble vitamins by IV. Also, look up the GERD diet and follow that (mostly what you're doing, but with a few acidic food restrictions as well) for the month. Should make a difference!

Good luck!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Sannois View Post
    Dayderam beat me to it.
    I used to get heart burn and sour stomach all the time. Until I gave up ALL WHEAT. I threw my pepsid Complete away. HAve not had a speck of heartburn in over 7 months! IT is the truth!
    Yep! My suggestion and experience as well!!!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    Yes, but it may be the actual capsule not the medication. I fine with the prescription omep.

After years of denial I found I am lactose intolerant, can't drink coffee and now am trying gluten free. And I am so not into fad foods. But eventually the excruciating stomach twisting and bathroom issues wins and tells me what I can and can't eat.
    wth is going on with wheat these days that so many people suddenly can't tolerate it?

It's not the wheat of hundreds of years ago. Frankenwheat from being modified so many times
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    See, it's weird, I've never been prone to heartburn, reflux, no stomach/digestive issues at all. I did give up pop 3 years ago, and felt much better with no diet pop in my system.

I am not ready to go "gluten free" frankly, but thank you for you recommendations. I'm pretty sure this is an ibuprofen related problem. I'll be talking with me regular doctor about alternatives. The doc I spoke with said that a round of omeprazole, and the other restrictions should do it, then it's a matter of managing to not piss off the stomach.

BE CAREFUL! My Ex caused himself kidney damage, Doc had him on PErscription prilosec He took Ibu.
    The results were bad. He now has diminished kidney function, ireversable, and brought on by those two drugs.
    And truthfully, it is the wheat, You would be so happy to see how great you feel even after a week! I have never looked back!
    Last edited by Sannois; Dec. 1, 2013 at 09:40 PM.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Well . . . we don't know if it is the wheat. It probably *is* the ibuprofen; though we (or OP) doesn't know for sure that's the cause either.

I'm chiming in here, though, to say that I've written in many past Off Topic Days about the health problems that my son had, the most dramatic of which was bouts of severe gastritis. Over the years he saw three pediatric gastroenterologists, had all kinds of tests and procedures and nothing showed up. None of the doctors suggested it, but I put him on a gluten free diet and so far (it has been 8 months) he hasn't had a single bout of gastritis. (he used to get it at least every month before). So, I'm just adding my voice to those that say it can't hurt to try gluten free. If it doesn't help, at least it absolutely won't harm you. And if it does help, it might make you completely better.

My sympathies, OP. I've had gastritis three times in my life, and so I know how awful it can be!

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    It's not the wheat of hundreds of years ago. Frankenwheat from being modified so many times
    Those two books I recommended explain it all very well. Good reads. Life changing for the better. I swear it.

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post
    My sympathies, OP. I've had gastritis three times in my life, and so I know how awful it can be!
    Likewise to you Calvin. I've had gastritis several times and I can tell you, I've given birth to 3 children with NO drugs and I'd rather go through labor than experience gastritis pain.

Add me to the no heartburn, no stomach problems previously, though I did experience a few months of IBS in my 30's which was attributed to a newly developed lactose intolerance. My triggers seem to be ibuprofen use, spicy food & drinking on an empty stomach. I had my last and most severe bout after my husband and I started to frequent a new Mexican restaurant. We liked it so much we were stopping by a couple times a week for margaritas, I seem to have a 1x a week tolerance level, darn it!.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.