The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Am I being logical or a doormat? Leasing questions.

Whoops
    Last edited by KLCarp; Jun. 4, 2014 at 03:30 PM.

What does your lease contract say?

Bottom line though: If you're not paying for a full lease on the horse, you have no right to expect that he's fully yours.

4 members found this post helpful.

It is not your horse, you only lease him so I would not expect to be the only one riding him.

If you want to be the only person on this horse-full lease or purchase it.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KLCarp View Post
    However, it all worked out to be a non issue because they found another horse for her to ride.

What do you all think?
    Sounds like it all worked out. It also sounds like a trainer with an FEI school master whom they needed for a student to take some lessons on. That kind of horse is a valuable asset. If you are not full leasing it with exclusive rights, then they can use him as they see fit in the times you are not riding. Any concerns you have should be taken up directly with the owner and trainer only.

1 members found this post helpful.

You pay to lease this horse exclusively?

If that's what your contract says, I'd expect you to be his only rider. But as the HO, I'd also want the horse ridden or gotten out somehow more than 4 days per week.

The other question I'd ask before twisting up the knickers is: Look, can I get a better deal elsewhere if I want to get huffy and walk from this one? Access to this horse sounds like a pretty good deal for you and, as you say, the damage done by the other rider wasn't bad. Because she was in a lesson, it sounds like someone else was also intending to limit the damage.

And the fear that someone would out-ride you? Weird. If you have a lease, assume you have passed muster and ride (plus whatever else) well enough to satisfy the HO.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

As an aside....if some one rides the horse better than you, be HAPPY that this upper level schoolmaster is getting tuned up for you. It will help him, and help you make progress in your riding. You would be smart to watch that person's lessons and learn from them.

It's hard to put the ego away sometimes... but in this case, you'd me missing a learning opportunity, which should really be the focus . Plus, it's good for the horse to have the best rides possible.

Gg
    Last edited by KLCarp; Jun. 4, 2014 at 03:30 PM.

If you are paying for a full lease. Then he should not be used. That you found that he was a little different may have been something the instructor observed. Hence, a different horse. One perhaps more suited to her capabilities.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Also-Who is paying the horse's insurance?

Its not a full lease, as the trainers daughter rides him once or twice a week. So just another reason not to get huffy about someone else riding him. The owner pays all expenses (including insurance) , minus a flat fee that was agreed on.

I should also mention that I am in Europe, so things are a little less rigid than in the states.

Quote Originally Posted by arlosmine View Post
    As an aside....if some one rides the horse better than you, be HAPPY that this upper level schoolmaster is getting tuned up for you. It will help him, and help you make progress in your riding. You would be smart to watch that person's lessons and learn from them.

It's hard to put the ego away sometimes... but in this case, you'd me missing a learning opportunity, which should really be the focus . Plus, it's good for the horse to have the best rides possible.
    This!!! I had my PSG horse half leased to a lower level rider who went off to college in September. At that point my friend started half leasing. She is an FEI rider with much more experience than me and.... IT IS AWESOME! I can't believe the difference and he is progressing so freaking quickly now. I thank my lucky stars for her every time I ride

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by KLCarp View Post
    Thanks for the responses, glad I was heading down the right path with NOT being an ass over it. I didn't say anything because I did get to the conclusion that its best for the horse. I should have mentioned that the trainers daughter jumps him once a week or so, so he is getting out for a ride 5 days, and on turnout/hot walker every day too.

I'm having a REALLY hard time transitioning into the amateur rider role after doing the working student/rider gig for so long. Knickers are fully OUT of a twist!

Not an ass but as a leaser 4-5 days a week rather than 1-2, I'm surprised you weren't kept aware ... it IS OK to discuss the changes you felt in the horse after the lesson & that tack was not cleaned (I assume that trainer policy is clean after every ride).
    It's also OK to mention that you'd like to know (a text is all it takes) - of course trainer may disagree & that is OK too

I have a lease on a schoolmaster - if he didn't have maintenance issues that prevent him from doing GP, he wouldn't even be available for me to lease. He is a saint but isn't an easy ride; still he is sort of in high demand for all the obvious reasons. As such, even though he's my lease (full), occasionally something will come up where he will be needed for something very specific. In that case, I get a call, and it's my call...I *could* say no. BUT as OP mentioned, paying it forward has its own reward. I can't believe my good luck in having this horse and I sure wouldn't want to deny someone else the infrequent opp to get on and learn something from him. These guys are worth their weight in gold...

It sounds like it worked out for you and I'm inclined to be generous myself, but I would expect to be explicitly informed or asked rather than to find out inadvertently as you did, if it had been intended as a long term arrangement.

If it's a part lease and someone was just put on him as an experiment, that's a different kind of thing. But once they got to the "this is the new arrangement" it would have been, IMHO, appropriate for them to explain/discuss it with you.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket