The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Just for fun: If your dog (or cat) were a horse, what breed would it be?

I have a Husky. I've had her since she was just a teeny little puppy. I have ALWAYS said she would be an Arab mare if she were a horse. She's compact and short coupled, she's a little bit "spooky", and she's pretty neurotic sometimes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26903029@N06/11128151866/

Now my Chihuahua ... I don't know about that one. She's a darn good mover, I've always said she's like a fancy little pony. So ... probably one of those fancy little bug eyed Welsh types with the dished face.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26903029@N06/11128273114/
    Last edited by Dakotawyatt; Nov. 30, 2013 at 02:07 PM. Reason: changed title

I think my pit/lab mix would be something like a draft/thoroughbred cross. He's kind of a bulky/muscly guy with a big head, but has long legs. Usually sweet, but has a crazy streak. Fast, but not a lot of stamina
    https://scontent-a-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/...14822374_n.jpg

My two smooth Collies would be Quarter Horses. They're both laid back, easy going, up for anything, and always fun to be around.

1 members found this post helpful.

Smile

Is there a breed that curls up and sleeps all day but when you say "Time for a walk" she flies down the stairs and outside and nose to ground starts hunting?

Maybe she's a draft breed.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

3 members found this post helpful.

Default If Kittehs Were Horses ...

Can I play? I don't have a dog ...

But if my kitties were horses, my Velvet would be a tricolor Warmblood of Color. Black gold and white. She would excel at cross country and show jumping (would be OK at dressage too as long as the bell was rung quietly and no whistle was used). She is the epitome of grace at Airs Above the Ground, but loves best to snuggle and cuddle and would have 5 turnouts and 3 stable blankets, as well as a pink plaid cooler and a couple of chill chasers!

T.O.M. is a Barb. Partly because of the part of the world he was "foaled" (kindled) in; partly because of his temperament. He is a Working Hunter but will only hunt or show if you can catch him and tack him up without having half your fingers bitten off or your whole body kicked into the next county! He is a lovely blue roan (probably a sabino because of his high whites and all the white on his face).
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by msj View Post
    Is there a breed that curls up and sleeps all day but when you say "Time for a walk" she flies down the stairs and outside and nose to ground starts hunting?

Maybe she's a draft breed.
    She sounds like a Bashkir Curly - Walking Horse cross used for field trials!
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Thoroughbred, for sure. My dog is half Greyhound and in her younger days she was very fast, LOVED to run and could go forever, and has long slender legs and a huge barrel - just like a TB
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Yay! Thank y'all for playing. And yes, cats are perfectly acceptable to compare, as well. It's so funny, every time I look at my Chihuahua trotting out all excited, I start thinking of her as a fancy little hunter pony, so I just had to find out if I was the only one.

A singular point in space and time somewhere between Fantasy and Reality

Our pup would be an eventer prospect (she's a year and a half). She has SUCH a jump and I swear has the "fifth leg" when she gets tangled going up the stairs

As to breed? Maybe appaloosa or arabian... something independent and stubborn yet still needs their person to give them confidence at a young age.
    Proud member of the Short Riders Clique
    Blog of Ashe: http://undertheshavings.blogspot.com
    Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Wellspotted View Post
    She sounds like a Bashkir Curly - Walking Horse cross used for field trials!
    I've heard of that breed. Well maybe disposition-wise that fits my girl but I doubt appearance-wise fits. My girl is ~40 lbs, with a very short coat and is part Shar Pei but fortunately has a prettier head than is typical of the Shar Pei breed.

Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Oh easy, I thought of what they all would be years ago.
    My dear departed Punkin, a sleek attitude prone Tiger tabby was an athletic eventer. She was the most agile thing ever, if she was a horse she would be a 4 star eventer. TB of course. she could jump high and wide, and was a fatastic mover. Seriously, even my Ex used to say too bad you do not have a horse that moves that well, you would clean up in Dressage.
    My now oldest tabby Ditch Kitty, is a laid back grade mare. A bit arthritic, mostly lazy but with a bit of sass thrown in. Pretty good for kids. Trail rides only, no excessive exertion wanted.
    My male grey and white, is a big lanky 17.2 hand Warm blood gelding. Big mover but not the brightest bulb in the box. He is a huge spook as well.
    Last my light grey tiger.. Frannie, is an extremely easy keeper, QH mare, Old style, shorter legs big heavy body. Kind and smart, not a good mover at all, think sewing machine..LOL But in the pasture she is a she deamon, total alpha mare, beats everyone up and steals all the food, hence her weight problem. Easy~
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I have Pugs. What breed of horse likes to sleep 23 hours a day and farts a lot?
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I'd have seven Shetland ponies (chihuahuas) and a Thoroughbred (greyhound).
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Hm... my Yellow Lab would be a Haflinger, but not the pushy annoying type. Or maybe a Palomino Quarter Horse. He is sweet, lazy, food-motivated and obedient. We joke that the Friesian I ride is basically a Black Lab in a horse body.

My ACD/JRT mix would be a really evil boss PONY mare of no particular breed. The BC mix would be a sensitive OTTB.

My Golden Retriever would be a dumb blonde of a Belgian draft horse. Given that she's a dumb blonde of a Golden Retriever, it fits. She's clumsy, not very smart at all, but super strong - a potentially dangerous combination. It helps that she's the absolutely sweetest dog I've ever met. My Goldendoodle, however would probably be either an Appendix (super smart yet quiet brain of the QH, mixed with the drive and heart of a TB) or maybe ArabxQH for the same reasons.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson