The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs down Horse trailer SCAM site ~ really!

I googled trailers for sale and stumbled upon this:

http://www.freehorseads.com/trailer/...hp?adnum=55970

Anyone even heard of "freehorseads.com"? I clicked on it, and did notice a lot of the ads were repeats on the same page. I found a Sundowner nearby that I emailed about. In no time the response came. From the get-go, obvious scam, the english was correct though. Divorced, had to move it quick, ridiculous low price, she wanted my contact info so she could notify eBay that I was her buyer, they'd handle it for us. So, playing along, I said I lived in that county, wanted to come get it TODAY. The reply was typical. Suddenly now she, AND the trailer were in Chicago...new job, blah, blah. Would ship it for FREE to me, I could have a 5 day trial, send it back if unwanted, ON HER DIME.
    I couldn't resist - I wanted to clarify, so I challenged the deal, price, etc. Said I knew eBay does not handle off site deals, that Buyer Protection Plan only covers onsite stuff. Also told her I knew it was a scam. Of course no reply to that.

I went back to the freehorseads site and noticed the last update was in Dec. 2010. And the reply I got for the 4-star trailer was the same scammer - this time she had a different name, and was divorcing, SOSO, but now she was at her parents in England, (but would ship trailer to me, free of course). I didn't even bother to reply to that one - yet!
    I'm tempted to - I could address her/him by the name she gave on the Sundowner ad!!! ;D

Anyway, why aren't long moribund or extinct ad sites removed??? Go ahead, go to this site, you'll see what I'm talking about. Anyone else see this?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ILuvmyButtercups View Post
    Anyway, why aren't long moribund or extinct ad sites removed???
    Someone is paying for private domain registration and hosting, and as long as they are willing to do that, the site stays up. There is no authority going around determining if sites are worthy of staying online.

As to why someone is keeping it up -- maybe they are hoping to sell it (it has decent SEO on some good key words), maybe it has just been lost in the shuffle of many other sites they run, maybe it was sold and is owned by scammers, maybe it makes enough on ads and Amazon referrals to pay its way -- who knows.

All that matters is that someone pays the bills.

Trailers are very commonly used for these type of scams, which occur on MANY sites including Craigslist and other free classifieds. I don't think this entire site is a scam, but some individual ads may be since anyone can place an ad there. On the trailer ad pages, there are legitimate tips offered for AVOIDING scams. If you click through a variety of trailer ads, especially in the higher price ranges, many of them have the sellers' full names and phone numbers. I Googled some of the numbers and they seem legit and trace to people or farms with those names.

I see a number of ads placed by "Serena" and "Bruce" and "Lisa" etc, generic names with no phone number - I think one scammer just placed a whole mess of ads in the cheaper listings and you happened to hit upon two of them. I would report those ads to the site.

The site is current. If you do a search in the horse section for ads placed in the last 30 days, for example, there are plenty of current ones. I don't think the whole site hasn't been updated since 2010 - it just means the format/layout of that particular trailer index page hasn't been changed since then.

I did report it to them. Where is says "contact us", I sent the site an email telling them of my experience. Asked if they were aware there were scammers using their boards. No response whatsoever.

I also, when I replied to the scammer, informing (her) I knew she was scamming, with the nonsence about taking new jobs daily, moving around, saying eBay will contact me, blah,blah, I asked her if this was their site, if they owned it for the purpose of scamming.

Anyway, I was just wondering. I'm hoping anyone who gets these ridiculous replies to their inquiries are sharp enough to pick right up on the junk, and just ignore them. This particular trick has been around so long now I can't imagine there is a single person on earth who isn't aware of how these work. For serious buyers it's a waste of their time. I'm also hoping the site owners do respond to my report. We'll see. Thanks for the feedback guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by ILuvmyButtercups View Post
    I also, when I replied to the scammer, informing (her) I knew she was scamming, with the nonsence about taking new jobs daily, moving around, saying eBay will contact me, blah,blah, I asked her if this was their site, if they owned it for the purpose of scamming.
    It's actually not a good idea to tell them what they did wrong.

As an example, I also recently responded to a scam trailer ad. The first two emails were completely legitimate; they had even taken the time to steal a trailer ad that had 15+ pictures of every angle of the trailer, so when I asked for more pictures they were able to send them.

It wasn't until the third email that they tipped their hand, and even then it was done smoothly enough that someone unaware of these scams (and they are out there) might not realize they were being suckered in. They had managed to come up with a way to require money by western union without mentioning shipping, etc, and still pretending the trailer was local to me.

The scammers are NOT dumb. They absolutely pay attention when people gloat and tell them all the reasons they figured out it was a scam. The scammers then go out and improve their scripts to close the holes. And they sell the scripts on to other scammers, who use them. The scripts are that much better/more sophisticated, and it's that much harder for the unsuspecting person to realize it's a scam.

The best thing you can do if you run into a scam is alert the site (as you did) and then stop responding to the scammer with no explanation at all. Anything else will help them and hurt some victim down the line.