The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default From giveaways - A cautionary tale with a happy ending - update post 25

It was suggested I post this here. Won't post names without permission from mods.

In early 2006 I gave away a horse on this thread. Opal was a gray 6 yo Percheron cross and a premarin foal. I won't describe why she wasn't the right match for me but she was the best dog I ever had - if you want a 1200 lb dog. I didn't want to sell because I was afraid she would end up in Amishland. I thought this was the best thing for her and I thought she found a wonderful home. For more than a year I got pictures and notes about how happy they were, how grateful they were. Then we lost touch. I called it a free lease and said if ever she couldn't keep her then just let me know(and please ship her back because Opal broke my transmission once). I didn't realize how quickly time passed and I would think about her now and then but didn't want to be one of those people to bug. I didn't see the person on Coth anymore but then I was on less too.
    This past summer I was sitting in the secretaries stand at the Bucks County Horse Park at a Tuesday evening dressage show, which I organize. I looked out and saw a stocky white horse and even though I know drafts aren't my type, I always admire them. I dreamily thought that could be my Opal. As I stared I thought - holy crap that's Opal. I rummaged through the entry forms and the horse was registered as Arctic Opal. I had named her Opal Essence. I approached the Dad who was holding the horse an asked her history. They were from nearby the area she lived but he didn't know much more. I knew it was Opal even after all those years. She was only 15.3 even though she was otherwise a full sized draft. She had a white sock on the hind and even though now she was completely white you could see one white hoof. Also, the only way I can describe it, is she is a square horse. I knew it was her. Eventually I got the story the she was rescued by the trainer from an unpaid board situation. She is in a great place now! Has lots of people that fawn over her but would rather *run* away for half hour then put in actual work time. And darn, she got a "9" in a dressage test! And a year end award.
    Though all turned out well, I did make it clear that I would take her back if they couldn't keep her. I am angry that the Coth-er I gave her to didn't even call me and instead abandoned her. All she had to do was call or email, my info hasn't changed. When I read the correspondence from the cother I still can't believe it because she seemed to truly love her. I know bad things happen to people, but really, just a phone call?
    Obviously I haven't posted the persons name but it would be easy to search the threads. I am worried because looking today I see she got a second horse off giveaways in 2007. I will see if I can find out what happened to that horse.

If anyone is interested I will try to post her pictures on my facebook page below.
    Last edited by Flying Hippotamus; Dec. 26, 2013 at 10:36 AM.

4 members found this post helpful.

Can someone (OP?) please explain why it is preferable to send us to search rather than to be forthright about your situation? It is not a case of hearsay. YOu know for a fact that the person didn't do what they should have done, and it is a kindness to other horses and owners NOT to make them be detectives in order to avoid a situation like your own that doesn't end as well.

Why why why why why why why do people do this on CoTH? It is not a crime to report a truthful and factual account of your own direct experience. Yes, you can say "OMG OMG someone will sue me!" but they will not win anything, ever, in such a case.

I cannot jump up and down enough about these cases. Just. Effing. Say. What. Happened. Including. A. Name.

Daylight is the best disinfectant. If the person in question is capable of being embarrassed, they should experience that emotion.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    It is not a crime to report a truthful and factual account of your own direct experience. Yes, you can say "OMG OMG someone will sue me!" but they will not win anything, ever, in such a case.
    You do realize it can cost you tens of thousands of dollars to defend yourself against a lawsuit, even if you "win" and don't have to pay the accuser anything?

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Zevida View Post
    You do realize it can cost you tens of thousands of dollars to defend yourself against a lawsuit, even if you "win" and don't have to pay the accuser anything?
    You do realize very, very few judges will ever deign to try a case where " they said bad things about me on the Internet!"

6 members found this post helpful.

Why why why why why why why do people do this on CoTH? It is not a crime to report a truthful and factual account of your own direct experience. Yes, you can say "OMG OMG someone will sue me!" but they will not win anything, ever, in such a case.
    Most likely due to this section of the forum rules. Basically, you need to offer proof beyond your own word. If you're telling the truth then you're covered with regard to libel... but not as far as getting in trouble on the forum.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Can someone (OP?) please explain why it is preferable to send us to search rather than to be forthright about your situation? It is not a case of hearsay. YOu know for a fact that the person didn't do what they should have done, and it is a kindness to other horses and owners NOT to make them be detectives in order to avoid a situation like your own that doesn't end as well.

I cannot jump up and down enough about these cases. Just. Effing. Say. What. Happened. Including. A. Name.

Daylight is the best disinfectant. If the person in question is capable of being embarrassed, they should experience that emotion.
    But we might hurt someone's feelings!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by tinah View Post
    You do realize very, very few judges will ever deign to try a case where " they said bad things about me on the Internet!"
    And it can still cost you thousands of dollars to a lawyer to even get to the point you are making a motion to have the case dismissed.

2 members found this post helpful.

I am familiar with a former COTHer who did the same thing with several OTTBs. She "loved" them and promptly abandoned them. We found out she did it more than once and we at least managed to rectify the situation we unwittingly created about a year ago (she really duped a bunch of pretty savvy women). All are now in wonderful, loving homes but it was a really, really bad situation for a while. I'm so glad that Opal is in a safe spot now and it's a caveat that some people are master cons and don't have a moral compass when it comes to animal cruelty.

I don't think people will find the person by searching. I tried searching your threads on Giveaways and the oldest thread that came up was 2007. Just FYI.

I'm really glad the story has a happy ending. I hope no one else is taken in by this person.
    I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Yay that Opal is in a good spot now
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

I still say cowboy the eff up, folks. All that is required for folks like this to carry on this way forever is for us to be ninnies about ratting them out. Please rest assured, if anyone ever lies to me in a way that has a material impact on the wellbeing of one of my critters, I will paint the interwebz with your name and deeds, and believe me, I know how.

So it's an inflammatory criminal accusation to say something like:

I gave Susie X my horse Flicka, and asked her to contact me if she ever couldn't care for Flicka. She boarded Flicka for 6 months in Someplace, North Carolina and then walked on the board bill. Trainer Z paid off the board bill, adopted, fed, trained and sold Flicka, and now Flicka has a real owner.

Here's a link to the court records where the horse was claimed as a lien by the boarding barn owner.
    I don't buy it. And I would be astonished if the Mods were bothered by a factual and well-documented statement like that.

Of course, a 64 page thread with 4 sentences of facts doled out like M&Ms at a Weight Watchers meeting is more CoTH style, it's true. But my way might actually save a horse.

5 members found this post helpful.

Can't find the old thread. Even searching OP's old posts, horse's name, and draft.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

Quote Originally Posted by tinah View Post
    Nonetheless, you kind of need a lawyer when one of those froot loops ends up in your life. Reference: http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuits/o...-beth/summary/

Thumbnail sketch: woman convicted of animal cruelty and horses removed. Conviction upheld on appeal. She then filed suit against 75+ different people and corporate entities complaining that her rights had been violated, including, apparently her "right" not to be discussed on the Internet or to have the case reported in newspapers. Read it for yourself if you're very, very bored.
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

So it's an inflammatory criminal accusation to say something like:

I gave Susie X my horse Flicka, and asked her to contact me if she ever couldn't care for Flicka. She boarded Flicka for 6 months in Someplace, North Carolina and then walked on the board bill. Trainer Z paid off the board bill, adopted, fed, trained and sold Flicka, and now Flicka has a real owner.

Here's a link to the court records where the horse was claimed as a lien by the boarding barn owner.
    I don't buy it. And I would be astonished if the Mods were bothered by a factual and well-documented statement like that.

Of course, a 64 page thread with 4 sentences of facts doled out like M&Ms at a Weight Watchers meeting is more CoTH style, it's true. But my way might actually save a horse.
    Your example meets the forum rules by providing proof in the form of legal documentation.

There are two sides to every story. How many times has an original poster accused someone of something, even without a name, and later that person shows up and proves the opposite? I know I've seen threads of that nature.

Why do you need to know the name of the person? Unless you are currently trying to re-home a horse on COTH, there's no reason you need to know the username of the person. Except, of course, for witch hunt and gossip purposes.

I appreciate the OP sharing her story as warning for anyone who may one day find themselves in the position of giving away a horse. But the name of the horse-abandoning COTHer is completely irrelevant to the majority of folks who may be reading this thread. If you still think you must know, or are part of the small percentage currently re-homing a horse via Giveaways, I'm sure you can message the OP.

Off my soapbox. Glad to hear Opal has a good home!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

We should all want that name to be neatly printed and available without going around begging for info. Not for witch hunt or gossip purposes, but so that the next time we want to rehome, we can do a little due diligence. And we should want that name to be out there as a simple warning to people who might want to take advantage of such situations, that it could produce some unwanted notoriety.

No one has yet explained in plain language why these facts, if they are facts, are treated like nuclear secrets.

6 members found this post helpful.

We should all want that name to be neatly printed and available without going around begging for info. Not for witch hunt or gossip purposes, but so that the next time we want to rehome, we can do a little due diligence. And we should want that name to be out there as a simple warning to people who might want to take advantage of such situations, that it could produce some unwanted notoriety.

No one has yet explained in plain language why these facts, if they are facts, are treated like nuclear secrets.
    Fair enough. I completely agree all should perform our due diligence rehoming. Yet I still see no reason why one can't message the OP for the information if it is needed.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I don't mind outing people if needed. I almost gave another horse to someone who was currently under animal cruelty investigation. Someone pm'ed me the info and when confirmed I told it all. But with Opal it was awhile ago and the person isn't even on here anymore. Don't worry I stalked her here and even tried on fb but didn't come up with anything. Still need to check out what happened to other horse, will do my best. Also even though she was abandoned she was always with good people who cared for her.

Quote Originally Posted by ambar View Post
    Nonetheless, you kind of need a lawyer when one of those froot loops ends up in your life. Reference: http://www.rfcexpress.com/lawsuits/o...-beth/summary/

Thumbnail sketch: woman convicted of animal cruelty and horses removed. Conviction upheld on appeal. She then filed suit against 75+ different people and corporate entities complaining that her rights had been violated, including, apparently her "right" not to be discussed on the Internet or to have the case reported in newspapers. Read it for yourself if you're very, very bored.
    We have one of those in KY. Trying to have her extradited since she's violating her parole. She takes everyone to court...