The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 87 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by pony grandma View Post
    2 more yrs to Medicare and I need to start worrying about the viability of that now too?
    Yes, you do. For those with short memories or that only listen to mainstream liberal media, Obama gutted Medicare to the tune of $700 billion to help pay for Obamacare. My ex was recently confronted by this when she found out a moderately expensive medical device she needs out of necessity was dropped from Medicare coverage.

I oppose Obamacare vehemently, but that is irrelevant to your question. Whether we support or oppose it, there will be major changes in it, it may be dumped when all is said and done - or it may stay. In all cases, it puts us all in a state of unnerving uncertainty as to what the future will bring. Sadly, there is little more unsettling than not knowing what kind of insurance you will have or what it will cover or what it will cost 5 years from now. I am retired and have excellent health insurance, but am clueless what I will have or what it will cost even in 2015, much less 5 years from now. I don't know about most people, but I get very unnerved when the future is blurry...

20 members found this post helpful.

Of any group of people it seems to me that horse people would be happy that their long suffering and uninsured trainers and barn owners can finally get some insurance.
    “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
    ? Rumi

36 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Well, you can blame your state government for that...they chose not to expand Medicaid and those that would have been covered by Medicaid are not eligible for the subsidy since they should be able to be completely covered at no premium. The only way to fix that is to insist that your state government accept the Medicaid expansion (which is a no brainer).

That doesn't make any sense though, that she would have to sign up for welfare. What state is she in?

Tell her to call the 800 number or see a navigator for help.
    She's in Colorado not Virginia.

1 members found this post helpful.

Anecdotal proof is worth about what you pay for it. But for what it's worth:

One of my best friends, self-employed, had been dropped from her plan 2 years ago, and could not get coverage at any rate due to a pre-existing condition. Because of her lack of insurance, she quit riding. With the ACA's new rules, she was able to sign up on her state exchange with no hassle, and was offered a choice of plans with a variety of levels of coverage, all at reasonable rates. In January, for the first time in 2.5 years, she'll be able to get back on a horse and not live in fear that a fall would wipe out her finances. Not a bad outcome...

44 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
    Yes, you do. For those with short memories or that only listen to mainstream liberal media, Obama gutted Medicare to the tune of $700 billion to help pay for Obamacare. My ex was recently confronted by this when she found out a moderately expensive medical device she needs out of necessity was dropped from Medicare coverage.
    That's because Obamacare included funding to pay each state's Medicare bills. The states that declined to participate in the statewide Medicare expansion under Obamacare did not receive the funding necessary to participate in expansion, and thus got a huge cut in federal funding for Medicare. The states did this to themselves. They complained where is the money coming from to fund this expansion? No we won't participate in it--and now after they refused to participate, they are complaining that they aren't getting any federal Medicare funding, and Medicare has been "cut" to "pay for Obamacare". How fake can you get.

35 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Believer View Post
    TG so far our employer plan is Ok but I personally know about 6 couples that have had their health insurance cancelled by this ACA/Obamacare BS and now will have to pay a lot more...to the tune of 2 to 3 times more with higher deductibles. I know NO ONE who is saving money.

I have a friend, a liberal..single middle aged healthy woman uninsured... who tried to get a quote off the exchange all excited to have Obummercare up and running. She found out the cheapest plan she could get was $600 a month with huge deductibles UNLESS she went on welfare due to her income level and could then qualify for a subsidy. To say the least she was upset and have never taken a penny of welfare in her life. Can someone tell me how this self sufficient, modest living woman being put on welfare to get health insurance in her price range (200/mo) is going to save money?
    I can say with near 100% certainty that these people had purchased catastrophic coverage plans, or extremely high deductible plans, which were of course cheap because they didn't pay for anything. So now that preventive care, maternity, etc are to be covered, those plans can't exist. Plans that cover more cost more. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

As to your second question, without knowing the state and the income level I can't offer any commentary. I can however tell you that $200/mo is a rate that does not exist without either extremely minimal coverage OR a subsidy.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Faceman View Post

I oppose Obamacare vehemently, but that is irrelevant to your question. Whether we support or oppose it, there will be major changes in it, it may be dumped when all is said and done - or it may stay. In all cases, it puts us all in a state of unnerving uncertainty as to what the future will bring. Sadly, there is little more unsettling than not knowing what kind of insurance you will have or what it will cover or what it will cost 5 years from now. I am retired and have excellent health insurance, but am clueless what I will have or what it will cost even in 2015, much less 5 years from now. I don't know about most people, but I get very unnerved when the future is blurry...
    Sorry, but your future was always blurry. Health insurance rates have been going up for the last 15 years (Oh gosh must be Bush's fault !) and your insurance was, as in past tense, able to drop you. You also had a lifetime cap (had as in past tense) that would have been exceeded had you become very sick.

Too funny that those changes make you feel "unnerved" !

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper221 View Post
    Well if she is currently uninsured, of course she's not going to save money by purchasing insurance whether through Obamacare or, if Obamacare didn't exist, through some other means. Health insurance unfortunately is expensive, and the mechanism through which Obamacare intends to provide insurance for all is through subsidies based on income level. I'm not sure why she would be forced to accept "welfare" (I'm not sure what program in particular you are referring to) in order to qualify for the subsidy, but it sounds like that is at least bringing the insurance within her price range. Alternately, she could choose to stay uninsured and pay the penalty, which I believe is only $95 for the first year.
    She said she could afford about $200 a month but being self employed could not afford insurance. No idea what is going on in Colorado but that is what she found on her state exchanges. I'm sure this 55 year old woman will also have maternity care and prostrate care in that $600 quote as if she really needs it. I am pretty sure she can't afford it so Obummercare has fixed nothing except causing her to pay a penalty for being too poor to afford their plan. I doubt she'll go on welfare.

4 members found this post helpful.

My blacksmith (50s) just got his cut as well; found a new one that will raise his deductible to $6000 (!!!) AND gives him maternity benefits. He is very excited about this.

I have great coverage through my husband (fed employee) but as to the future....very scary and very blurry. The plan I had before i was married was great but it too has been cut, as it did not offer maternity benefits or some kind of dental plan (neither of which I wanted anyway).

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by soloudinhere View Post
    I can say with near 100% certainty that these people had purchased catastrophic coverage plans, or extremely high deductible plans, which were of course cheap because they didn't pay for anything. So now that preventive care, maternity, etc are to be covered, those plans can't exist. Plans that cover more cost more. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

As to your second question, without knowing the state and the income level I can't offer any commentary. I can however tell you that $200/mo is a rate that does not exist without either extremely minimal coverage OR a subsidy.
    Bull pucky. Our President said "If you like your plan, you can keep your plan. PERIOD" Lying sack of .......so much for his credibility..in the toilet..not that he had any with me anyway.

Sorry, they were very happy with their plans and they were good plans. You are reciting liberal propaganda there.

24 members found this post helpful.

My employer provided policy covers my maternity and pediatric dental coverage. It also covers my vasectomy and my prostate. I'm female, medically sterile and my child turns 24 next week.

The thing is, I'm OK with paying for that kind of coverage because someone else's premium paid for my pregnancy, my 7 year old son's kidney stones, ear aches, bronchitis, my cancer, etc, etc, etc. Now it's my turn to help someone else in need. I'm OK with that.
    I'm not arguing, I'm just explaining why I'm right
    Violence doesn't end violence. It extends it. Break the cycle.

45 members found this post helpful.

She said she could afford about $200 a month but being self employed could not afford insurance. No idea what is going on in Colorado but that is what she found on her state exchanges. I'm sure this 55 year old woman will also have maternity care and prostrate care in that $600 quote as if she really needs it. I am pretty sure she can't afford it so Obummercare has fixed nothing except causing her to pay a penalty for being too poor to afford their plan. I doubt she'll go on welfare.
    Again-- plans are not tailored to the individual buying them. By that token, my plan should not cover prostate care, mens healthcare, joint replacement, geriatric care, or appendectomies, since I won't need any of those things.

A plan is a set of benefits, available to all individuals purchasing the plan. You might not need maternity care, I definitely don't need testicular cancer coverage. It is what it is.

Unfortunately "what I can afford" isn't really a price basis for anything you'd like to purchase.

I did, for the sake of argument, run a 55 year old nonsmoker living in Araphoe county through the site and I found plans for $339/mo before subsidy. If this person would be eligible for WELFARE, I presume they would be eligible for a subsidy.

I see a lot of people bringing up that they're 55 and don't need maternity care. Well, no, but statistically your insurance costs a lot more because you need more drugs, treatments, and hospitalizations than I do at age 27. Saying you should get to pay less because you're old and don't need it is exactly backwards of what the actuarial determinations state. The $339/mo plan listed above would be $135/mo for me.

30 members found this post helpful.

I know our health care system needed some major reforms, and I didn't have a problem with that. A couple of the things in the ACA are pretty benign and the industry screwed up by not implementing them by themselves. But what a mess.

I cannot believe the nation that put a man on the moon could not get a website running properly. The entire ACA; from its debate in Congress to the rollout to a lying President with egg on his face has got to be the biggest clusterfu** this nation has ever seen.

Big reforms do cause a bit of a shake up. This isn't a shake up. It's a fu** up.

I'm so embarrassed for my country. Do any of you read the Economist? Did you see the cover photo and read the story? Oy vey.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Bull pucky. Our President said "If you like your plan, you can keep your plan. PERIOD" Lying sack of .......so much for his credibility..in the toilet..not that he had any with me anyway.

Sorry, they were very happy with their plans and they were good plans. You are reciting liberal propaganda there.
    And that's true for any plan that was sold on or before the date that he signed the law that he described in this sound byte. Plans that were changed after that date in 2010 are not subject to that promise. That's almost fair don't you think?

7 members found this post helpful.

I read somewhere that the subsidies will be for only 3 years. Is this correct?
    "How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?" Julian Lennon

No that is not true. That is probably a rumor generated from the feds footing 100% of the bill to the states for expanding Medicare for the first three years, with federal funding falling to 90% after that.

3 members found this post helpful.

but that is not the point. Even us "old" people understand shared risk. The point is that there was a group of apparently happy people who had a plan they could afford that generally covered what they needed covered. And they paid for it. Now many of those plans are gone, regardless of "if you are happy with your plan..." and those people, who, again, were happy with the level of care they were getting for the money, have had their plans taken away. This has created a whole new class of winners (apparently prostitutes in SF) and losers (people losing their plans). I don't think you can blame people for being a little grumpy in that situation. There is a ton of misinformation out there, both for consumers and for providers, and i think the picture will be a lot clearer in the next few months but meanwhile for many trying to get enrolled in something comparable to what they have it is indeed scary.

9 members found this post helpful.

Clusterf**k is a mild way of putting in Jess. I just got done trying to explain the mess to a Canadian friend earlier this week. They were dumbfounded...aren't we all. I guess in a few days a lot of people facing penalties in a month and having lost insurance will not even be able to get on the site to buy some as it's still not working right. It's a long way from fixed. I saw somewhere that for every 20 people who lost their insurance due to this mess only one has been able to get a plan to replace it either because of the site being down or the fact they could not afford the new ones.

I do also agree that the health care system was a problem but they are going to collapse it which was the plan all along so we can all buy a single payer system from Uncle Sam. Oh what fun...bureaucrats in charge of health care.

Every person I know who has lost their insurance (that they were happy with and met their needs) is now faced with much higher premiums and deductibles. I don't know about you all but how many of you could choke up another $600 a month on top of what you are already paying? Not many I suspect. I know I can't.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFlyinBey++ View Post
    My employer provided policy covers my maternity and pediatric dental coverage. It also covers my vasectomy and my prostate. I'm female, medically sterile and my child turns 24 next week.

The thing is, I'm OK with paying for that kind of coverage because someone else's premium paid for my pregnancy, my 7 year old son's kidney stones, ear aches, bronchitis, my cancer, etc, etc, etc. Now it's my turn to help someone else in need. I'm OK with that.
    Yep. That's how health insurance works. That's how it's ALWAYS worked, sorry everyone, you can't blame Obama for this one.

Feel compelled to mention that I am a young, healthy person making good money. I priced out health insurance before Obamacare (part of choosing which job to take, although I do live in MA where healthcare for all is not such a bosom-clutching idea ), and for fun I priced out a plan just a few weeks ago. The difference was about $200 less than when I priced it the first time. This is before subsidiaries and tax credits.

And I am the one paying the HIGHEST premiums, as a young, healthy, middle-class person.

Quote Originally Posted by Sswor View Post
    And that's true for any plan that was sold on or before the date that he signed the law that he described in this sound byte. Plans that were changed after that date in 2010 are not subject to that promise. That's almost fair don't you think?
    No it's not "fair." Obama ran on a platform where he said OVER and OVER that you could keep you plan, keep your doctor, etc... NEVER did he mention that millions were being set up to lose their plans. He's also used his executive powers to make changes as he pleases to include writing into the plan the way the grandfather clause is written now which is what is causing this nightmare for so many people. If he had warned Americans to expect to lose their insurance once ACA rolled out, do you really think he could have won? Polls now show that Romney would have beaten him if people ONLY knew the truth. So he's committed FRAUD against the American people and he continues to rule like a dictator. WHEN will people wake up?

29 members found this post helpful.