The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Puking cat

Pretty much just what the title says....

Cat has been puking pretty regularly the past few+ weeks. I have 3 cats so I had to pin point down the culprit! Anyway, otherwise a very healthy, fat cat is puking all over my house. Sometimes just eaten food sometimes completely digested.
    Is on grain free food. Any ideas on what it might be and how to fix it before I invest the money at the Vet? I have a puppy that needs to be fixed and another cat with urinary issues and really want to avoid any more bills, but she's ruining my carpets and furniture!

Thanks for the ideas!
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

As a start, isolate PC to one room & monitor intake & output - if they don't match, poor PC may have an obstruction: bloodtests, physical exam may help clarify.

Once PC is isolated, you can also test different foods - use wet food. (kibble is linked to so many issues in cats)
    Treat for hairballs (yes possibly more P initially).

Pray that it's just a food sensitivity & not more serious.

Isolation is a good idea. Also try feeding in smaller batches to slow the cat down (or put it in a couple of different bowls throughout the room).

If it had only been a couple of days, I'd think hairball. But if its been weeks, its digestive or possibly a blockage.

In addition to above suggestions, try raising the food bowl a couple inches off the floor, and please don't put off a vet check since this has been going for awhile. Hope your kitty will be okay!
    Equus Keepus Brokus

3 members found this post helpful.

Cat is puking both digested and undigested food ( not at the same time ). She's quite fat, and does not look like losing weight at all. Not sure if a blockage would contribute to weight loss at all?

Hepatic lipidosis is a serious thing in cats.

A cat that can't get enough nutrients (either from starvation, puking it up so it doesn't go through digestion to be absorbed, etc) runs the risk of this.

How often is she able to keep food down versus puking it up?

2 members found this post helpful.

You mention kitty is on the pudgy side of the scale. Older (you didn't mention age so I'm just throwing this out there) overweight cats are prone to diabetes. My parents cat was doing a lot of puking in the beginning stages of her diabetes. It stopped immediately once the cat was on a treatment regimen with insulin.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

1 members found this post helpful.

Please don't wait. I thought my pudgy cat was constipated ... gave her pumpkin and hairball remedy and nearly killed her waiting for it to work itself out.

I figured as long as she was eating ...

She had (or got) pancreatitis.

It costs a LOT less in money, pain, and heartache to investigate early.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wishnwell View Post
    Cat is puking both digested and undigested food ( not at the same time ). She's quite fat, and does not look like losing weight at all. Not sure if a blockage would contribute to weight loss at all?
    Please don't use her lack of visible weight loss as a sign of health

Fat, kibble fed kitty's are often suffering from metabolic issues, liver damage is very real, other organs are also affected, when you look at their "biochemistry" they have a host of abnormal metabolites - cats are considered "obligate carnivores", all those carbohydrates (in kibble & other foods & don't assume that "grain free" = carbohydrate free) muck up their metabolism.
    Unfortunately there is zero chance of convincing pet food companies or pet owners of the reality of this, the reaserch is there in the scientific journals & no where else that I've seen ... even vets will argue (except when I ask if they've read the papers I get a blanket statement full of the pet food company propaganda - Ive been to the seminars too )

Cat has been puking pretty regularly the past few+ weeks.
    This is a huge signal in cats - if she's lucky it's just food sensitivity - please do the isolation & pickup the special pre-digest food from your vet as a place to start (choose the wet food option).

A vet visit & bloodwork would be ideal as a staring place but if you can't do that, then begin with the isolation protocol.

You might also just take kitty in for a basic exam & depending on vet's response, surrender or euthanize - kinder than where kitty is at right now.

She needs blood work IMHO. Her weight may well be a contributing factor to her issue. Liver and kidney issues often create vomiting in cats.

If you have a urinary issue cat, that cat takes precedence IMHO, but this other puking kitty needs help too.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Somethings not right. Vomiting for a week+ is not normal. Your cat needs to see a vet. Vomiting can be anything from mild gastroenteritis, obstruction, fatty liver, kidney disease, cancer etc.

Best to get a professional to put their hands on your cat, do a thorough exam and then give you the options on where to go from there.

I will give kitty basic care. This is a cat that essentially is a barn cat that I vowed was not going to get the same care as my house cats. Unfortunately she's made her way into the home against my wishes. I will take cat
    to the vet and figure out where to go once seen. I don't mean to be cold hearted but that was the deal when kids found her.
    Thank you for the feed back. I'm thinking after doing some reading that she may need a digestive enzyme supplement. But will call vet to verify

I will give kitty basic care. This is a cat that essentially is a barn cat that I vowed was not going to get the same care as my house cats. Unfortunately she's made her way into the home against my wishes. I will take cat
    to the vet and figure out where to go once seen. I don't mean to be cold hearted but that was the deal when kids found her.
    Thank you for the feed back. I'm thinking after doing some reading that she may need a digestive enzyme supplement. But will call vet to verify
    Or, maybe you could just put her down, since you clearly have no intention of caring for her properly.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

Is she long-haired? I have a long-haired house cat that will vomit when she's working on a hairball. I'll take a dollop of Vaseline and smear it on her shoulder so she'll lick it off. Tried it on her paw but she shook it off. Vaseline is no fun to try to clean out of the carpets, etc!

I do the Vaseline for about 3 days, seems to do the trick and no more vomiting. Obviously the vomiting could be a symptom of something more serious, but it won't hurt to try.

Last puke had some hair but nothing much. It's been a few days now since anything. I slowly switched her food to see if it was a food allergy. Keeping my fingers crossed. Spoke to tech and that was a good place to start.
    Shes I'm guessing 5 yrs old. She came to us via my children when they found her skin and bones. I fattened her up, spayed her and got her up to date on shots. She was a very skittish cat. That took 2 yrs to get her to trust us. She's now made her way into the house some.
    I am sorry that to some my lack of compassion isn't up to par for this particular cat. Unfortunately she's been very destructive around the home including chewing apart every corded aplliance, lamp, phone, etc you can think of. How she hasn't killed herself is a miracle. She has been cared for as a barn cat but has had no issues other than what she came to me, with until now.

Don't have answers, can only tell you what has worked for us.

We have an elderly cat, the calico princess. Yes, she "rules."

Lots of tests were run and several different vets consulted, as we searched for answers and moved around. Nothing was found conclusively but last vet figured it was probably a grain problem and that's been what we do now. Way, way ago, I did feed good quality kibble but it's been a learning curve and no cat in the house, even the one that can eat the kibble, is entirely kibble fed.

What we do for this cat:

No kibble at all. Other cat gets about half his diet in TOT grain-free kibble, but we monitor that the other cat doesn't help herself. She can be very food aggressive and whatever the other is having, even when it's the same thing, is of course, way more desirable.

Some brands will say "wheat" or "gluten" free but that does not mean grain free, as rice or oats will be subbed. Can has to say "grain free" and the label of ingredients has to confirm this.

The same cat also eats it's food like it's the last she'll see. So we have breakfast, noon snack, dinner, and night snack. If she eats too much too fast, no matter what, it will come back up. The other cat gets his wet food at snack times.

Texture can make a difference sometimes. If the food is cubed, that can be a problem, although you can never predict when. Sliced not so much.

She is getting brushed pretty regularly now and this seems to help, although all cats are going to do a fur ball. When he does it, he's pretty polite and will even seem to aim for tile floors or computer chair mats. She does it anywhere and "travels" as she does it.

The best remedy that I have found is Nature's Miracle, Just for Cats, Advanced Formula. We keep a bucket with a sponge, scrub brush, and spray bottle of NM on hand. When an "event" occurs, we put luke-warm or cold water in the bucket. Pick up all we can with paper towels, trying not to grind any more into the carpet. (With her, it's pretty much always the carpet) Dampen the sponge and wipe what we can that way. Then spray the area with NM and let it sit for at least 20 minutes. (When we can) Then use the scrub brush on the spot, to get down into the carpet, gently. Sponge rinse and let it dry.

Our experience has been that sometimes, the carpet will look a little darker in that spot, but I've come to believe that is because it was wet. When we've had the carpets cleaned, they've come out spotless.

For whatever reason, if it's dried, sometimes it will vacuum up and the area will look pristine. If it doesn't sink into the nap, that helps.

YMMV, of course. Good luck!

to much dry food isn't good for any cat or dog hence the wee problems with the other cat
    sounds like you feed a lot of dry food -
    dry food if pellets or grian they need soaking as any pellet, nibble ( cats/dogs) expands with water and doubles the sizes, if it continues after the quick fix

the answer feed wet food stuffs and not any pedigree chum or whiskas products for puppy kittens as this to rich for them and makes them pooh a lot

if feeding any type of nibble biscuit- then soak them dont just put water out next to them expecting the dog or cat to drink as they will on do that when thristy

soak your dry pet food till its fully expanded ----- as in like 20mins before you feed this will help your cat with urine issues as dry food effects the kidneys and the bladder -

so if you cat hasnt enough slavia or her digestive pipe to her gut is small
    then she will choke and throw up

get her looked at down her throat make sure she hasnt got a congenial problem with the mussle that expands the food pipe

soak your food---- as more diegestable and easier for them to swallow eat and wont get stuck in her food pipe

My male cat was like this - puking up half-digested Science Diet meals at least every second day, sometimes once a day for a few days straight. I had big, garish yellow stains on my carpet. It was AWFUL. Had the vet examine him, she couldn't feel any evidence of blockage or discomfort just from the exam, didn't think diet was a problem when i told her he was getting Science Diet. She suggested a course of extremely expensive tests, and I told her "I would think about it".
    Went home, got on the internet, and realized I had basically been feeding my cat JUNK for the past 8 years.

Switched him to a combination of raw + quality canned (EVO, Wellness, Tiki Cat), and he stopped puking. He slimmed down and his coat gleamed. He became more vocal and more active. In short, it transformed him.

Bottom line, kibble is NOT suitable for cats. No matter how expensive or how "natural" it claims to be. It is dehydrated, highly processed crap, plain and simple.

Hope your kitty feels better soon on the new diet.