The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have been meaning to tell you that it is so awesome that you have turned some serious lemons into lemonade. I think the job move is a great thing and I'm thrilled to see you with two feet
    Do do the PT diligently. You may find you have some psych issues when you get back to jumping - I know I did - best advice I got (from a psych pro) was to give yourself time with that. Brain needs to heal just like the rest of us.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

1 members found this post helpful.

YB, its good to hear that things are progressing in wonderful and surprising ways (job) and in wonderful and hopeful ways (healing).

Some advice from someone who was laid up even longer: be patient with yourself. Your neurons, ligaments, tendons and muscles need to reacquaint themselves. Things that were formerly "no brainers" now need determination and a little practice to accomplish. The good news is that after a few days of WTF, your body will once again respond as you expect.

As to the weight: I lost 20 lbs gained during my layup following the "Fast Diet". Please Google it for details. Might not be your cup of tea, but it has been the charm for me. (Thank you Michael Moseley.)

I'm quite convinced that there is nothing better for rehab than riding .
    They don't call me frugal for nothing.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

YB I am so pleased to hear you're doing well! I was on a long car ride today and among other things, you popped into my head. I hoped you were continuing to heal and had found something exciting for your new job. And what do you know, the universe works in mysterious ways - I pop online tonight to see your post about your great recovery and awesome job! Is the Tobster still at boot camp?

Yay! Glad to hear this!

P.
    A Wandering Albertan - NEW Africa travel blog!

You may find you have some psych issues when you get back to jumping - I know I did - best advice I got (from a psych pro) was to give yourself time with that. Brain needs to heal just like the rest of us.
    I have been preparing myself for the psych issues since I was laying in the ER. Especially after all the psych work I did after last year, I was afraid that I am going to be afraid. BUT, I just keep telling myself that it will be ok if I'm afraid and I don't have to go and prove anything....despite what I want to think sometimes. Really, I just want to A) have both my horses with me ASAP (hoping to find a place for all of us by January) and B) be back on Toby, even if it just means hacking down the roads. The rest will be totally secondary.

TBPONY, Toby is still at boot camp. Sadly, I haven't gotten to see Stephen ride in ages since our schedules just have not worked out. But, the girls there give him glowing reports every time I'm there, and they take great care of him and he's very happy (though, he simultaneously makes my heart HUGE and break a little when he hears me and nickers...I miss him so much!!!).

My first PT appointment got moved up from the 2nd to tomorrow, which I'm thrilled about! Yay, exercise!!!

2 members found this post helpful.

YB, so happy you are ditching the crutches! And about the new job, having normal hours, and maybe an employee discount*GRIN* sounds so fun. You'll be riding again before you know it. When I broke my ankle, I ditched my crutches in September (accident was in May) by early October I was hacking my mare under DH's eagle eye supervision, and riding normally by early December.
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/

Yay! This is great news! There is a positivity that has been coming through in your posts for the past few months, which is great to 'hear.' Best of luck with your continued recuperation.
    Custom and semi-custom washable wool felt saddle pads!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/PellMellFeltPads

Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    Yay! This is great news! There is a positivity that has been coming through in your posts for the past few months, which is great to 'hear.' Best of luck with your continued recuperation.
    I would never have believed that breaking my leg in such a spectacular way could have brought so many positives to my life. I thought my life was "over", and to get hurt AND lose my job in a matter of days was devastating. But, so not the case. I LOVE my job and I am excited about some of the changes I am able to make to life now.

Life, thank you for the lemons. Here's my lemonade!

2 members found this post helpful.

You really do have such a great attitude about this all- I so admire you. You're going to pull through with flying colors.
    Blog chronicling our new eventing adventures: Riding With Scissors