The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fox hunting collectibles

My grandparents were foxhunters, as were my father and uncle. We're cleaning out some of their things and we have scores of foxhunting items. They include old metal figurines, glasswear, plates/dishes/bowls, stirrup cups, pitchers, horns, books etc. There is also a large collection of fox figurines.

I've taken what I can (including the most adorable fox orchestra my grandmother had) but we're at a loss as to what to do with the rest. We'd like to sell them, donate them, it doesn't really matter- it's just important to my dad that they have a good home. Obviously this is a niche market so I've turned to COTH.

All the items are in Philadelphia, and range from good to excellent condition.

Any ideas?

Radnor Hunt Pony Club has an Outgrown Shop that takes donations. They often have some foxhunting collectibles. It is a non-profit so donations are tax deductible.

If any of the collectibles are hunt specific that hunt club may be interested in them for their own collections.

I sold a bunch of stuff on Foxhunters Online; http://foxhunters.org/ it's a subscription mail list you'll have to get an account on, but it's well worth it.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Are there any items from Rose Tree Hunt Club when they were based in Media, PA?

Thanks for the ideas so far. I've heard back from the Museum of Hounds and Hunting too, so it seems like there are options- yay!

Dispatcher- the only thing we have specifically from The Rose Tree Hunt Club are old show ribbons. An aside: I made a list of all the shows my family attended and I think there were almost 50 regional shows, of which only a handful now remain.

It depends how much time/work you want to put in. Some of that stuff has significant value, so selling from well lit photos and mailing out items one at a time on ebay or Foxhunters Online or wherever would get the most out of it. However, it takes a lot of time to take good photos, and pack fragile items.

Many tack stores take consignments. You could UPS the lot to Horse Country or Middleburg Tack exchange and let them find it homes. If you have a local tack store that caters to fox hunters that might be even easier.

If you want to donate, hunt clubs often have an auction in conjunction with their hunt ball. If you are talking about a significant amount, I'd imagine you could even arrange for your items to be part of their auction (to get the right audience) but some share of the proceeds to go to other good causes.

Nina is a foxhunter and she has a cute store in Elverson, PA that focuses on foxhunting related items. I think she buys some items from estates.
    Here is her website.
    http://www.thevintagefoxonline.com/T...x/Welcome.html
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Send a pm to Jswan here. She's with a large hunt in Virginia.

I'd call Horse Country (800) 882-4868. Marion is always on the look out for foxhunting antiques. Even pics sent from your phone will help. But call first.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Doing a happy dance here- you guys are awesome! Thanks so much for all the ideas!

Ebay concierge service will sell it for you.

I've just started collecting stirrup cups and other hunt related items. Please let me know what you're doing, as I'd be interested in taking a look.