The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I think here in western NY we are at the edge of that storm and are to have high wind warnings after 7 PM till 2 PM Monday with thunderstorms predicted about midnight. When I go back out to check the horses around 7 PM, I'll shut them in their stalls with the top dutch door open but a webbed stall guard up. I know the one could care less if he's shut in but the other one will probably have to be taken out of his stall and put in the aisle on X-ties till I get his outside door shut because the minute he even thinks he's going to get shut in, he hightails it out.

I'm not worried about a power outage because I had a whole home generator installed in January.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

I am in Willard, OH and we have tornado warnings until midnight. Its very windy right now, looks like the worst will hit in the next hour or two.
    Railgirl.blogspot.com

We were lucky here, about 60 miles northwest of Chicago. Most of the bad stuff was south of us. We had about 5 minutes of 80 MPH straight line winds, and lost a pretty big tree.

Those to the south will be in our thoughts and prayers tonight.

Tornado watch until 11:00. High winds and hail.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

We are fairly new to the area (north east of Lexington KY)--been here about 2 months now. So this is our first time going through a tornado watch. Our house doesn't have a basement and my husband is now drawing up plans for a storm shelter. Ugg. I'm online looking up tornado warning signs. We're new to this.

Our horses are out with a huge run in shelter and hay in the shelter.

Stay safe everyone.
    Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Hang in there! Sending best wishes from Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by Chestnut Run View Post
    We are fairly new to the area (north east of Lexington KY)--been here about 2 months now. So this is our first time going through a tornado watch. Our house doesn't have a basement and my husband is now drawing up plans for a storm shelter. Ugg. I'm online looking up tornado warning signs. We're new to this.

Our horses are out with a huge run in shelter and hay in the shelter.

Stay safe everyone.
    Sheila
    I remember well my first tornado outbreak here seven years ago, had to call my husband who was out of town and ask him which was the worse one, the watch or the warning.... very scary. I'm better about it now, but it's still my least favorite part of living here. No basement here either.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Stay safe, everyone! The photos I've been seeing are truly devastating.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

1 members found this post helpful.

My friends just got back from a clinic at LAZ's farm - said there were tornados that touched down near there and they saw semis tipped over along the highway. The winds were pretty bad on their trip back but they made it safely. It hadn't hit the barn yet when I left - we must not be too far from the OP - but apparently it's there now.

Stay safe, everyone!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Keeping everyone (and all their critters) in my thoughts and prayers. Please stay safe !

Stay safe! Hope the worst of it is over.

Here in KY the storms are starting to fizzle out. The tornado watches in s.w. ky have been lifted. Still have potential for strong winds.

I just hope we don't have many days of tornados again like we did in january of 2012.

Chestnut Run-you can reinforce any room of big closet into a storm shelter (called a safe room). You can also build a room with a door from the house that is an above ground shelter with concrete walls, floor and ceiling, with a solid door. Call local contractors to see what will work with your house, and I personally find the above ground shelters that are attached to the house to be much more desirable. The in-ground ones that you have to leave the house to enter aren't my idea of a good shelter. You need to keep your vital papers, etc. in a waterproof container in the safe room too.

Friends lost their house in the Enterprise AL tornado in 2008, and they had to replace virtually everything like passports, and it's the last thing you need to do after you get broadsided by a tornado. You keep all birth certificates, marriage licenses, passports, and house papers that would be hard to replace. I have a couple of the square fire proof, water proof safes with items like that in the walk in closet that I use for my shelter. You need an emergency radio, light source, and other survival items in there also.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

2 members found this post helpful.

Damn spoke too soon. Watches and warnings are back up

Jingles for an uneventful and safe evening for all!

Quote Originally Posted by spotted draft x filly View Post
    Damn spoke too soon. Watches and warnings are back up
    Nothing on the radar west of E'town but Frankfort is going to get hit soon, and shortly after that we'll get it and then Chestnut Run it looks like you'll get it - take that back, it's here NOW. Thin band should pass through quickly but flashlights are out, take care guys.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Stay safe everyone. Tornadoes are so scary. I've lived through a few hurricanes and several ice storms -- I'll take either over a tornado any day.

The storms are thankfully all passing north of both me and the county where my horses live. Lots of rain, though.

It has been obnoxiously hot, though. High of 78 in the second half of November? Maybe I'm just stubborn, but I refuse to turn the a/c on.

My house feels like it's going to lift off any minute ....the major part of the storm passed through at 4:15 PM and it took down one fence, but now we just have nasty sustained winds.

Ugh, hundredacres, you don't need that on top of everything else you've dealt with this year! Hopefully the winds pass on through quickly like they did for my brother in Chicago.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog