The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default November 17th storms

I'm battening down the hatches for the predicted storms later today. I'm about to go tidy up (and make cosy and fun for the kids) the storm shelter in the basement and check all the batteries pack some snacks etc. The storms are predicted to get to my area about 7PM tonight- so after dark- which I hate when you can't see the sky.

I just wanted to say that everyone is in my prayers, their families, their livestock, their homes and even their trees. May everyone stay safe today in the path of this storm system.

7 members found this post helpful.

Where???

Must be Midwest/Kentuckiana. We have a moderate severe weather threat, after 5 PM with spinning winds and possible tornadic action. After all the rain of course.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I am in Indiana at the tri-state with OH and KY. They have been talking about this for a few days now, and I am so amazed (and thankful) for how well they have developed weather models to predict these severe outbreaks and give a little more warning when storms with tornadic potential are brewing.

When I turned on the TV this morning, they talked about it on the national news because it's going to move through several states and because it's a very unusual time of year for this type of storm system.

Here are some predicted model maps posted on the blog of a local-to-me weather network-

http://ovwn.blogspot.com/2013/11/sim...evere.html?m=1

1 members found this post helpful.

I've got the horses out in the paddock until the wind picks up.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

We had almost 70 mph winds all day yesterday, a veritable dust storm, yet again.

When we do, those fronts tend to turn into monster storms for the lower Midwest as they hit that moisture.

Better batten down the hatches.

Stay safe.

Oooh geez. That looks ominous. Hope you and yours ride through this unscathed.

Pouring down rain here. Horses are staying in their stalls, or under the barn overhang. I was wanting to refence, and open up a new section of pasture for the boys, but not gonna happen today. So instead, I'm making soup and playing around with Photobucket. Here's a current picture of the COTH rescued TWH from back in May. He's the one in the middle. Please let me know if the link works. Thanks, and stay dry, everyone!

ETA, changed the link because the first one did not work for me. This one seems to be ok.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5f23873e.jpg
    Last edited by pony4me; Nov. 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Even here north of Toronto we are under a weather warning for severe high winds for this afternoon. Its lovely and warm here now though....9 C, much warmer then normal for this time of year but that wind is going to bring in much colder weather. Ugh. No snow though...yet!

We are soggy here, but I think out of the worst line of action. All the horses are tucked into their run ins with big piles of hay... although all of them have preferred to stand out in the rain and play grabby face over the fence. *eyeroll*
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

cherham, I am South of you and all is calm for now. Actually, I am looking forward to some snow in the next few days. I am so tired of that mud!!
    It is warm indeed.
    Plainandtall, just wondering about the other horses and that terrible "barn"... are they still there? the barn would not stand such winds, would it?

Eh. I still have to go to work. High winds and a t-watch but the only warning is well south of here. Hope the maple trees lost all the big branches they were going to lose last year...

The Cave of Caerbannog in summer, Castle Aaaargh in winter

There is a tornado on the ground right now in IL, moving northeast toward Joliet from Peoria. They're already showing pictures of the damage on TV.

I like logical people---they provide a nice contrast to the real world.

Hope everyone stays safe, we are not supposed to get much here but a bit of rain and some strong wind gusts.

I'm in Indianapolis. My dressage lesson was cancelled due to the excessive news coverage. Our local weather forcasters have been doing backflips in giddy anticipation of this storm for days. I did get out a flashlight just in case. Nothing yet but it's close to 70 degrees.

Oh NO False Impression!! Of all the things I was thinking about today- I had not thought about those specific horses!! I think all we can do is cross our fingers and hope the horses have their own answer to the great "in or out" debate. I will go check on them as soon as I can after the storms pass.

I'm in Northern Ontario and we are under a rainfall warning and wind warning for tonight. The rain is a problem as this year we have already had a couple of significant rain events (our City actually declared a State of Emergency after one of them) and the ground is completely saturated already. Rain, rain, rain.... and tomorrow it's all supposed to freeze!

I'm off to hit the shower now and then fill up some extra water jugs in case the power (and therefore water pump) goes out.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

It's almost 70 here(Indianapolis)Calm before the storm. Last night was miserable. I was driving the trailer back and the winds plus rain plus tractor trailers made it miserable. First time I was ever worried driving the trailer.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies