The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Revolutionary airbag helmet - the future of head/neck protection?

Just ran across an interesting Yahoo read about two lady entrepreneurs that have created an "invisible helmet" for bike riding.

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/swedes-d...184635653.html

It's comparable to the inflatable cross country vests that eventers have been using in the recent years. The difference is in the deployment of the airbag, where cross country vests inflate when the rider becomes unseated and this "invisible helmet" detects an accident through sensors, which I find incredible. Could we possiblity be looking at the riding helmets of the future? I HOPE so! Watching the video demonstration I can't help but think about the neck support that all horseback riding helmets lack and that this invention provides.

Anyway, the weenie in me became a tad bit excited about this product and figured I would share.

To watch the demonstration click the link below then navigate to the top left of their websites homepage.

http://shop.hovding.com/

I'd take a regular riding helmet over one of those any day!

It doesn't look to be too comfortable, and what about doing 2-point in something like that. I hate having stuff around my neck now as it is, that just looks bulky.

Cool technology though!

2 members found this post helpful.

I saw this and had the same thought! I wonder about it being bulky around the neck, too, and hot in summer, but technology just keeps getting smaller and lighter. I also wondered about how sensitive the deployment is, I'd hate for it to inflate if I just leaned over too far. I'm really interested to see where this goes, though.

I saw this too. My question would be how hard is it to re-pack? Cars have to get repacked at the mechanic. And I think we as a sport fall off to regulalry for this. Plus the impact from falling off seems like its when you first hit the ground--which to me seems dissimilar from being hit by a car and then hitting the ground. But I am no engineer...I like the way my helmet feels.

Very cool concept. Don't know if it would work for riders. Looks motion activated so my first thought is how would it stay in place around the riders neck during movement such as trotting, cantering, jumping? Would such movement cause it to deploy prematurely.

Seems like it would be tough for the device to differentiate between the motions involved in the landing side of a jump and an actual fall event.

Not for me - rather just wear a helmet than that thing!

Besides, just two weeks ago my horse stopped abruptly at a fence, pitching me forward, and I smashed my face on my horse's poll - The brim of my helmet cracked, and I got a bloody nose along with a blow to the head. But luckily my helmet took the brunt of the impact, rather than my forehead.

This "helmet" would be useless in a scenario like that.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    Seems like it would be tough for the device to differentiate between the motions involved in the landing side of a jump and an actual fall event.
    And not just that, but all the bouncing that goes on when horsey decides to play acrobat. No way am I sitting through six bucks and a spin only to have my cool factor ruined by this thing going off!

But whatever would become of Hunter Hair?
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

1 members found this post helpful.

LIke anything, there are strong pros and strong cons with this product ...

The technology is flat out amazing. USD port to recharge it at your computer when you take it off. Black box technology to analyze the data surrounding your fall. Incredible

The cons?

The price point in Europe for this equates to USD $515.00. Add in shipping to North America, duties, taxes, distribution costs to retail outlets and a profit margin for the importer and I can easily see this unit selling in the $600.00 - $800.00 range

The worst part? Its a one time use only. Think of the airbags in your car - you cannot re-use them. This technology is the same. Once it deploys, you need to buy a brand new one. That is going to be a HUGE hurdle to overcome IMO no matter how wonderful the product is

Here is a Forbes article on this product and the pitfalls they see in it

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeremybo...icycle-helmet/

I would never wear that to ride in and I could never see something like that showing up in the equestrian world....

What happens if you get a hoof to the head after you've fallen? I don't see Michelin man protecting you very well from 1,000 pounds of horse and steel...

On other threads in the eventing forum, it's been mentioned that the only thing that will provide neck protection is a rigid device such as the HANS used in race car driving - not air bags.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Part of the equestrian helmet standard is the need to protect from multiple impacts during a single accident - not just a fall but also potentially hooves or debris hitting the rider's head.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Looks like an interesting invention for cycling, but I don't see it taking hold in the equestrian world. Not only because it has to absorb multiple impacts, but also because of the need to replace it after every fall. I have no problem replacing an equally expensive riding helmet after an impact on the head, but I'd have to replace that thing 5x as much for every fall when I land on my feet and my helmet/inflated neck brace is completely unharmed (but inflated and needing to be replaced immediately).
    Plus it looks quite bulky around the neck! I'll take a normal helmet over that any day.

Quote Originally Posted by dags View Post
    And not just that, but all the bouncing that goes on when horsey decides to play acrobat. No way am I sitting through six bucks and a spin only to have my cool factor ruined by this thing going off!
    Not to mention that this thing going off while I am still mounted would definitely increase the acrobatics!
    Life is hard. Buy a freaking helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Whatever, go gallop.

To me it looks bulky and uncomfortable to wear and I worry that there is no way to make it work correctly with all the various movements involved with riding.

Well of course the exact invention wouldnt be conventional, but a spin off the product could be useful and deployed the same as a cross country vest. I was thinking of something along the lines of it being worn with a regular helmet and possibly extending down the back a little. What if the airbag technology could eventually make the product less bulky and it be an attachment to the back under part of a regular helmet. Or it be an add on to the inflatable cross country vests that already exists. I just think the possibilites are endless and the research behind this product is incredible.

Being such a wussy, any new form of body armor peaks my interest!