The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by bellsandwhistles View Post
    What would you have done?
    If I had the time, held the horse.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Also, think about it from the horse owner's point of view. I'd be pretty annoyed if the vet was like "Oh, I couldn't give Dobbin his injections today because Boarder X refused to hold him and there was no one else around."

I do think people have to remember that the OP is new to this barn and has never met the owner of this horse.

It is very different to have the vet ask you to hold Dobbin for a friend. The vet asking you to hold a horse owned by someone who you have never met is different.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Exactly.

And as another poster said, the odds of someone impersonating a vet to come in a give a random horse joint injections... Really?
    I would be less concerned about this, than I would be about handling a horse that I didn't know. Maybe I'm overly cautious because my mare is a hellion for anything involving a needle. Rearing, striking, biting, etc. I would hate for her to hurt somebody.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

4 members found this post helpful.

If I know the horse, know the owner, and know the vet...maybe. I would probably call first. We all text each other all the time, so a quick text would not be hard to do.

Why not all the time? We had one horse in the barn that I knew well. So well, in fact, that I knew that he grabbed the BO by the arm as they were taking the twitch off and threw her to the ground. No way am I touching that guy no matter how helpful I want to be! If you didn't know this horse you would think he was easy peasy to handle, and he was, except for needles.

Call somebody and find out before you touch the horse. If you have the time, that is.

That vet was expecting a lot...

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm with the OP on this one. Horse I knew, owner I knew and it was something simple, like a blooddraw or an IM shot? Sure, of course.

Horse I don't know, owner I don't know, more invasive procedure? Hell, no!

And am not a fussy, diva-ish owner who thinks no one else should touch her horses, but I wouldn't be real thrilled over a vet soliciting a random stranger to hold my horse for a procedure that had potential negative consequences.

I vote for calling the barn owner or the horse owner. If the vet has treated the horse before, and is a friend, surely he had the owner's number and could have called her and she could have then told new boarder it was ok to hold the horse?

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    That's kind of odd.

I probably would have called up the BO or BM and let them know what was going on. It's not really your job to help.

I would have said something along the lines of "Gosh, I'm really sorry, I have to make an appointment, but let me give so-and-so a call for you." Unless you wanted to help.

Stuff like this is why I always hang contact numbers on my horse's stall door and make it clear that anybody can call me at anytime for anything involving my girl.
    I agree with Superminion. In this particular set of circumstances, it is NOT the boarder's job to help. The boarder doesn't know the owner and is not familiar with the horse or how well the horse behaves for injections. That's leaving the door wide open for liability if the horse had done something to injure the boarder.
    Alis volat propriis.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Also, think about it from the horse owner's point of view. I'd be pretty annoyed if the vet was like "Oh, I couldn't give Dobbin his injections today because Boarder X refused to hold him and there was no one else around."
    Too damn bad. Arrange this better with the vet, the BO and yourself.

As a horse owner I would ***NEVER*** expect a fellow boarder to be on the job to hold my horse for the vet unless it was a life threatening emergency.

If the boarder doesn't know the horse, the owner, or the vet, how do they know they are even holding the right horse? What happens if the horse somehow gets loose, gets hurt, hurts the vet, whatever. Why do I want that responsibility? Not my job.

And, again, as a horse owner....I can't IMAGINE expecting anyone to do this for me, let alone someone who has never met me and that I didn't ask.

17 members found this post helpful.

I once walked into my "new" barn, and the vet was gelding the BO's big stud that morning. Long story short, I ended up holding the hind leg for my vet, and the owner was useless. As was her family. So when the stud got up 2x,, the 2nd time having his remaining testicle turning over and over high up into the air like in a cartoon, I thought, gee, this is why I said I'd never watch a gelding.

I do what I'm told by my vet and by my farrier, even if it is with someone else's horse. However, that was the first and last time I shall ever participate in or watch a gelding.

I've had to hold other people's horses when the horse was dying or being put down. That's something I do not like to do as it brings back too many memories of my horses' being put down over the decades.

I think it's weird that the vet lives with the boarder and they can't come out together to work on the horse.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Megaladon View Post
    I think it's weird that the vet lives with the boarder and they can't come out together to work on the horse.
    So did I!

2 members found this post helpful.

When I board my horse (which I do), I am paying to "rent" the stall and for the BO (and any employees) to provide care for my horse as stipulated by the contract. Just because I board somewhere doesn't mean I'm available to "help" with anyone else's horse. I'm not employed by the barn; I'm not employed by the vet or the farrier. I'm there to enjoy my horse and to provide my horse a place to live.

That said, I'm more than willing to help out a friend who can't make it to an appointment or to help in an emergency situation. If I'd known this boarder and horse and vet, I would've been completely comfortable helping out. However, not knowing the boarder, horse, or vet would have made me hesitate for sure. That's when I would have used the "Oh, I'm on my way out, let me call the BO for you" statement.

I'm sorry but if I was leaving the barn and had something to do, I would not hold the horse for the vet. The boarder needs to be there for her horse, it is not your responsibility.

I would have politely declined and gone on with my day.

I also would not be paranoid about this vet/guy. Like others have said, what are the odds.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

What if the OP had been injured while helping the vet? Would that change anything?

When I was young and stupid I would help anyone with anything/any horse - many times almost to my own detriment/bodily harm. Now I mind my own business unless there is an emergency, in which case I will of course do whatever I can.

My vet once called me to go help a neighbor with a colicking horse since they were about an hour away and the client needed assistance. I didn't hesitate to go right away. However at the barn I try to avoid the - hey PaintPony can you hold Pookie for just a sec while I clip/pull mane/bandage/etc. situation.
    Last edited by PaintPony; Nov. 13, 2013 at 04:24 PM.

If it had been an emergent, all hands on deck situation, I would've helped no questions asked.

But for a supposedly non emergent thing on a horse I don't know, with an owner I don't know, with a vet I don't know, on a property that I'm new to?

I would've said, "I'd be happy to help you AFTER I get permission from the owner" IF I felt like I was able to safely help.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    . . .
    I would have called the barn owner. It is THEIR job to help, and any vet that NEEDS assistance but shows up without an tech and without making arrangements with the BO or owner to hold the horse is not someone I would want to help either.

I'd definitely be contacting the BO to follow up on the horse now. And to give my opinion about not wanting to be put in these situations, and how to handle this in the future since you do not want to be responsible for holding a boarder's horse for the vet.
    I'm afraid this is how I feel about it. If I help this unknown vet, and let's say I'm not the best at handling a fussy horse, and this horse decides to get upset and I get hurt and have to miss work then what happens? Does my insurance go after the vet? Who compensates me for time lost and how? I would be willing but would much prefer to be helping a vet I know, or with someone such as the BO present.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I got my collarbone broken in this exact situation

I wasn't new to the barn but the horse was. The owner was a very, very novice and timid horse owner so the vet (who didn't know the horse, but knew me) asked me to hold the mare for an internal pregnancy exam. The mare leaped forward and pinned me against the wall of the stall, breaking my collarbone. Obviously, I would help out in any way I could for an emergency, but it has made me a bit leery of putting myself on the line for a non-emergency situation with an unknown horse.

I agree that although it seems simple enough to hold a horse for a quick IV shot, there could be some complicating issues. Personally I would have politely declined to hold the horse. First of all, you don't know the owner and anything about the situation. Secondly, you don't know the horse and couldn't even identify if it was the correct horse the vet was giving the shot to. Also, I find it unprofessional and a bit strange that a licensed veterinarian would involve a bystander that they don't know in the care of someone else's horse because that there definitely are some liability issues if that person was injured. Lastly, while most horses are pretty easy to hold for injections some horses are not.

9 members found this post helpful.

Gotta say, as a former barn manager, I would be pretty miffed at the communication mixup that would have required a new boarder to handle another boarder's unfamiliar horse for the vet.

Under different circumstances - emergency, or a long-term boarder handling a horse she's familiar with, for example - this isn't an issue. But in my opinion, in the OP's situation, I (as the horse owner or as the OP or even as the barn manager, to be honest) I don't think she was at all required to help out.
    Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    Too damn bad. Arrange this better with the vet, the BO and yourself.

As a horse owner I would ***NEVER*** expect a fellow boarder to be on the job to hold my horse for the vet unless it was a life threatening emergency.

If the boarder doesn't know the horse, the owner, or the vet, how do they know they are even holding the right horse? What happens if the horse somehow gets loose, gets hurt, hurts the vet, whatever. Why do I want that responsibility? Not my job.

And, again, as a horse owner....I can't IMAGINE expecting anyone to do this for me, let alone someone who has never met me and that I didn't ask.

When did people get so paranoid? I guess the OP could have asked to see a bill or something from the vets office to make sure it was a real vet and not some lunatic going around injecting random horses. I would rather take the time to hold the horse to make it easier on the vet and the horse and make sure it all ends o.k.. It is just common courtesy. You never know when your horse might need something and you aren't reachable.

1 members found this post helpful.