The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Girths for the sweaty horse?

My saddle fitter was giving me grief this week about my girth, one of the inexpensive Dover cloth/fleece ones. I know the arguments against these, but my horse runs quite warm and when I use a leather girth, the sweat just pours out and his skin feels very hot when I take it off. The cheapo nylon/cloth/synthetic fleece ones seem to do a much better job managing the heat and wicking away sweat, though I realize that they aren't very supportive. I would LOVE to get one of the Mattes girths or girth covers, but they are cost-prohibitive for me, and would be too difficult to clean on a regular basis. I would also like to try a cotton quilted girth cover, but haven't been able to find one! Anyone have any good ideas for a reasonably affordable ($150 max), supportive, heat-distributing/sweat-wicking girth? Or an affordable cover to add to my current leather girth?
    "Winter's a good time to stay in and cuddle,
    but put me in summer and I'll be a... happy snowman!!!"

Trolls be trollin'! -DH

WHY was he or she giving you grief? What's the problem with the girth?

Default girth

Quote Originally Posted by CatPS View Post
    My saddle fitter was giving me grief this week about my girth, one of the inexpensive Dover cloth/fleece ones. I know the arguments against these, but my horse runs quite warm and when I use a leather girth, the sweat just pours out and his skin feels very hot when I take it off. The cheapo nylon/cloth/synthetic fleece ones seem to do a much better job managing the heat and wicking away sweat, though I realize that they aren't very supportive. I would LOVE to get one of the Mattes girths or girth covers, but they are cost-prohibitive for me, and would be too difficult to clean on a regular basis. I would also like to try a cotton quilted girth cover, but haven't been able to find one! Anyone have any good ideas for a reasonably affordable ($150 max), supportive, heat-distributing/sweat-wicking girth? Or an affordable cover to add to my current leather girth?
    What about an inexpensive old fashioned string girth? I, for one, would prefer no heat and sweat than to have the latest fashion trend if it's causing a problem. my daughter's both use string girths on horses they ride that have sweat issues. Works wonders and the horses seem to go better.

1 members found this post helpful.

I use the wintec girths or a leather shaped girth. Easy to hose off after every ride and they work for my guy. He is a heavy sweater and the light give keeps from over tightening. It has holes in it to be "breathable" but it is made from neoprene so breathability and neoprene aren't really hand and hand.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Don't worry about the saddle fitter. They may not like those girths or they have wanted to sell you one of their great ones. Either way, unless they can explain what effect that girth is having on saddle fit, they are likely just sharing their opinion. There are a lot of girths out there worse than the synthetic fleece ones!

I have this one and I love it

http://www.horze.com/girths/horze-pe...rth/14630.html

It's thicker and more stable than cloth but more breathable than the hard plastic wintec ones. Every week or so I chuck it in the washing machine when it gets funky, comes out looking like new.

Real wool felt or wool string.

I have the full length version of this girth and I LOVE IT. I have used it for 4+ hours hunting with no rubs in all types of conditions. It has a thicker center with gel padding,elastic at both ends, the buckle tongues are spring loaded which made it super easy to adjust from the saddle and after a year of abuse, there is no hint of wear or rust. Just sponge it off. I may have to buy another just in case they stop making them!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/lettia-...th/p/X1-02009/
    Last edited by gypsymare; Nov. 13, 2013 at 08:47 PM. Reason: forgot to add the link