The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default stallion suggestions for pony mare

We have a lovely 13h pony mare with great hunter flat knee movement and a very straight and correct conformation. She is a welsh cross.. She has been my daughter's parnter for 5 years and is now out grown. We'd love to have a foal from her and would love stallion suggestions. We are eventers and are looking for the resulting foal to be as large as possible (as large as a 12.3 hand pony mare could safely carry) with good dressage movement and a power house jump. Love, Love Love connemara's, welsh x tb's. looking for a stallion in the 15 h - 15.2 range.. Any suggestions?

You mentioned your mare is a Welsh cross. Do you know what the other half is? The only problem with crossing a crossbred pony with a larger pony or horse...you never quite know what kind of height might pop out of the background in the pedigree. If you know what her other half is and how tall her parents are, that will help.

If it were me and I wanted a super eventing foal out of the cross, I would definitely go with Belafonte d'Avalon. He has been an eventing machine the last few years. Top 10 Training level this year against the horses and just started competing at Prelim. this fall. A client of ours recently bred to him with frozen semen and their maiden mare got pregnant on one insemination with one breeding dose. He's 14.3 HH and that is probably a safer height for getting a pony foal out of the deal..as well as a safer height for the mare foaling out! His owners, Kathy & Jos, also offer great customer service! http://www.avalon-equine.com/belafonte-davalon.html
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

3 members found this post helpful.

I second Belafonte
    www.muskokalakesconnemaras.com
    Wonderful ponies for family or show!

1 members found this post helpful.

I "third" Belafonte! :-)
    Mary/New Horizons Haflinger Sport Horses
    Standing Stellar TVR, lifetime licensed with WE, RPSI, AWS, AHR
    www.newhorizonshaflingers.com
    www.facebook.com/NewHorizonsHaflingers

Of course you are welcome to check out my fellow, Morning Glorys Ilyushin who is a grandson of Grange Finn Sparrow. That line is legendary for jumpers and a number of GFS offspring and relateds are currently upper level eventers. GAEventer on here is one with a GFS baby who is now at intermediate
    Just a thought as he has proven offspring in that discipline
    Wonderful ponies for family or show!

You also might consider Wildwych Eclipse (Purebred Connemara approved ACPS, ISR Sport Pony & Weser Ems). He himself successfully evented as well as doing dressage and has produced a number of beautiful correct talented offspring that are just now getting going eventing. Eclipse also has a number of talented relatives contesting the FEI Levels in Eventing. Eclipse is 14.1HH-he may not give you the height your looking for but he is not especially good at keeping size down. I do think you will have a tough time getting 15HH out of 13HH regardless of who you chose.

Also I just recently watched video of the Black GRP Popeye who looks like he's recently taken up eventing and appears very talented.

Isn't there another Connemara stallion that is doing very well eventing, at Prelim or Intermediate? His name is not coming to mind right now though.... I do like Belafonte as well, would have a tiny concern that the WB side might come through and depending on the mare's "other" side. I do like him quite a bit though!!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    Isn't there another Connemara stallion that is doing very well eventing, at Prelim or Intermediate? His name is not coming to mind right now though.... I do like Belafonte as well, would have a tiny concern that the WB side might come through and depending on the mare's "other" side. I do like him quite a bit though!!
    If you are thinking of Ard Celtic Art, he very recently died.

For an event horse, I would very definitely look at Theodore II (Kevlar) who is Teddy O'Connor's full brother. He's 15 h.

I'd also look at very small TB stallions. I know they are out there and used in pony breeding.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I would like to recommend you consider the stallions I offer. You said you are looking for an eventer and 4 of the 7 stallions I stand would be an excellent choice.

Fox Creeks Jack Sparrow - http://foxcreekfarm.com/horse/Jack-Sparrow

Jack is the purebred Connemara son of the legendary Grange Finn Sparrow. I don't think you need much convincing of the ability of the Grange Finn Sparrow offspring to succeed in eventing! Jack Sparrow himself has an exceptional temperament and was never competed until this past year. In September at the age of 15 he competed at his very first A rated show and was Champion 1.0 m Jumpers. Jack is truly a Jewel that those in the eventing world who love the Grange Finn Sparrow horses & ponies have forgotten about and overlooked.

I would also recommend these three stallions:

Benno's Dream: http://foxcreekfarm.com/horse/Bennos-Dream

Chicco B: http://foxcreekfarm.com/horse/Chicco-B

FS Daily Hero: http://foxcreekfarm.com/horse/Daily-Hero

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    If you are thinking of Ard Celtic Art, he very recently died.

For an event horse, I would very definitely look at Theodore II (Kevlar) who is Teddy O'Connor's full brother. He's 15 h.

I'd also look at very small TB stallions. I know they are out there and used in pony breeding.
    OMG!! I didn't hear about that, what in the world happened?!?! Interesting suggestion....or who/what about Teddy's sire?

if you want something in the 15h range you will need to breed to a horse.