The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Have many forgotten our origin?

Our farm hosted an eventing derby this past Saturday and I mentioned to the riders during the official course walk that it was fitting to have an eventing competition on the weekend of Veterans Day. I was quite surprised to find that they did not know that the origin of eventing was in selecting cavalry mounts. Do most instructors not mention what the original parts of a horse trial were for? Do most of the current eventing riders not know the historical reason for this sport?
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

3 members found this post helpful.

It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Young riders don't know the traditional terms for grooming equipment, either. (Just a pet peeve of mine as I am a word person as well as a horse person.)

I worked at a university years ago -- a UNIVERSITY, not a grade school! -- and on this day when one of the history professors asked her class to observe a moment's silence as class started at 11:00, she had to explain to the students the phrase "the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month ... " as they did not have clue what she was talking about! The campus security department was surprised when she and I remarked the fact that the flag was not flying at half-mast that day.

I haven't known many riding instructors who have instructed their students on the history of their sport. Pity.

Heck. I don't hear many basic instructors teaching the parts of the horse or the tack, let alone the history of the discipline. I have even heard a bay lesson horse referred to as "brown" -- apparently the instructor thought the student didn't know the word "bay" -- well, guess what, how will they learn if they're not taught?
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

2 members found this post helpful.

This sport of Eventing was and still is called Military in some parts of the world.
    To the human and equine veterans:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BugHo60GW-Y

Quote Originally Posted by Robin@DHH View Post
    Our farm hosted an eventing derby this past Saturday and I mentioned to the riders during the official course walk that it was fitting to have an eventing competition on the weekend of Veterans Day. I was quite surprised to find that they did not know that the origin of eventing was in selecting cavalry mounts. Do most instructors not mention what the original parts of a horse trial were for? Do most of the current eventing riders not know the historical reason for this sport?

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin@DHH View Post
    Many people don't know the origins of eventing, and many people do. That some folks going on a course walk an eventing derby aren't aware of eventing's history probably isn't a sign of an epidemic of apathy. Take heart.

(Although, I confess, I've been eventing for several decades and I thought it started as a competition amongst cavalry mounts, not to select cavalry mounts in the first place. Count me among those who didn't pay their dues by walking uphill both ways in the snow, I guess.)
    I evented just for the Halibut.

5 members found this post helpful.

It was my understanding that the Military (3 Day Event) tested the military officer and his mount. The Dressage/Parade showed the horse and rider were able to properly do basic drill movements as well as dressage movements, Speed and Edurance tested the officer's ability to ride his horse "across country" safely while maintaining enough horse for the last day which was Stadium which only tested the horse's ability to recover from the activity of the prior day.
    Of course the sport has evolved going from, I believe, 5 distinct tests (100 years ago) to essentially 4 tests over 3 days (long format) to today.

There are people of all ages who never bothered to learn history, which is why we keep repeating human mistakes over and over.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm more pissed that many don;t know how to do a flipping standing wrap than they don't know the history of our sport. Many don't know there used to be a long format.

It is a changing world. Unfortunately many don't want to know or study the past, they are too interested in looking into the future.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I guess it depends on what comes up in lessons. I started eventing as an adult and never asked my trainer the origin of the sport and she never offered it. I know what it is because I looked it up. Many people would not look it up. It does not make them less of a good person, just means they did not look it up. That could have been from lack of time or lack of interest.

While I think it is good to know your history, I agree with FLeventer that there are more important things to ensure people know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    I know what it is because I looked it up. Many people would not look it up.
    And that is the heart of the problem, IMO. Lack of curiosity. And not just in sports....I see it in my classes, more and more. Students don't think for themselves, don't look for information unless someone tells them to (and tells them where to go, which book / page, preferably...)*sigh*
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!