The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sometimes I'm really stupid....

Horse caught her side on a stall door latch and did a good job hurting herself.

You HAVE to look at a picture so the story makes sense...
    Pre stitching - kinda gross
    Post stitching

So vet is sewing it up and we're talking about this and that, and then I, in my amazing stupidity, say..

"Do you think the hair will grow back in white?"

I swear I'm not brain-damaged!
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

2 members found this post helpful.

OUCH!!!! Wow I hope she heals comfortably!
    And don't worry, you're not the only one who has moments like these... lol

2 members found this post helpful.

Ouch. My vet would have been rolling on the floor laughing if I asked that question.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Hey, everyone is entitled to an occasional brain fart, but that is a pretty good one! Hope your mare heals up soon!

Oh, man, that's an owie for sure.

As Donk said, it might have been a brain fart. But it's far from stupid. We go to "special places" when dealing with something like that.

I hope your baby heals up well. Happy to see the drain in place. And if we have to find the good, at least it's not fly season!

For what it's worth, I had a boarder horse impale herself pretty well on a T-post (knocked the cap right off it!) on her shoulder. Horse was a paint. As vet was putting in hundreds of stitches and a few drains, I commented on how she'd been sewn back together with the black patches not matching. D'OH! Why did I SAY that? It certainly didn't matter, but out it came anyway.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

OMG! Your poor boy. I hope he heals rapidly with no problems.

Don't feel bad about the brain fart. We all do them. Heck, just yesterday I was over at a friends farm (she loaned me a companion horse for my horse 3 yrs ago and he's still at my place) and she mentioned she had put Puzzle's saddle up for sale. I kinda blanked out thinking there was no horse named Puzzle at her barn and suddenly realized HE was AT MY BARN!!!!
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

This isn't one of my horses, thank goodness! She's a lesson horse.. And really she had no excuse for hurting herself... the OTHER side is the side she's blind on!

She's healing up pretty well. She was at least kind enough to wait until fly season and show season were over to get hurt!

The vet just looked at me and said "yes, it will grow back in white" .
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    The vet just looked at me and said "yes, it will grow back in white" .
    And then he went back to the clinic and told everyone about your comment.

A sense of humor is imperative in situations such as these. Schoolie is lucky to have you, Amastrike.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

I horrified my vet once.

Actually, twice

The first time, Rory had sliced his lip open (theory is, he stepped on his own face), and while my vet was scrubbing it out, I was thinking it and thinking it, and finally couldn't NOT say it anymore: "Yanno, that totally looks like a vagina." My poor vet .

The next time, after gelding Odie, he was showing me a testicle and all the various parts, and there is one part (can't remember, vas deferens? spermaticord?) that is all coiled up in a little ball and looks like a tiny brain. I saw it, said "that looks like a little brain" and then gasped and pointed and said "I KNEW IT!!!" (a la Chandler from Friends). Vet said "uhhhh...well, no one has ever pointed that out before, but yeah, you're right..."

Vet remarked the next time he saw DH that he never knows what to expect when he's meeting me at the barn. I figured he was going to stop taking my calls...
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

4 members found this post helpful.

Ah, TheJenners, you are like so many of us horse people --- we have no filter between our brains and our mouths! :-) However, that is what makes us so endearing to the rest of the horse people!

Kelly B. says a similar thing 55 seconds into the Bork To Walk episode of MWC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmg3IILmaPY

Hope your mare heals up quickly.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

My Sgt tends to walk away, shaking his head and saying "Filter, filter, filter!!" so I don't think he's on the same brain wave as the rest of us
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

poor neddy---- next time shove your door latch in
    i have seen that type o thing happen on faces sides of neddies and also sorts
    horse will be fine, nice scar----- should end up in a white line or grey under the fur just be aware of it if you clip, better of doing a trace clip r blanket if you do rather than a full clip so the blades dont ctach any bumps that might be left