The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for the best Selenium Yeast supplement

I have a mare who has tested low in Selenium levels despite being on an E/Selenium supplement. In my vet's experience, horses such as her need to be supplemented with Selenium Yeast. I have found some sources on the web but was hoping to take advantage of the collective experience and wisdom of COTH for suggestions as to the best and most cost efficient. Thanks!

Platinum Performance. I had a youngster that was diagnosed with being low in Selenium and Vit E, despite being on a feed that should've had the right amount. I supplemented with the PP products, re-tested the blood and it brought it right back up.

Horsetech does a good one, Se with and without vitamin E
    http://www.horsetech.com/
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

What supplement (or form of Se) was she on? Was her Vit E level tested? If E is low, and you don't add enough, then no matter how much Se you add, you won't raise levels (significantly)

Selenomethionine is another form that is bio-available.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    What supplement (or form of Se) was she on? Was her Vit E level tested? If E is low, and you don't add enough, then no matter how much Se you add, you won't raise levels (significantly)

Selenomethionine is another form that is bio-available.
    Yes, E levels were also tested and were fine. We tried Selenomethione and it didn't work.

Dangerbunny and Dune, thanks for the suggestions. Platinum Performance has a very cost effective one that is just selenium with no E. Would I then need to worry about E levels?

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Hill View Post
    Yes, E levels were also tested and were fine. We tried Selenomethione and it didn't work.

Dangerbunny and Dune, thanks for the suggestions. Platinum Performance has a very cost effective one that is just selenium with no E. Would I then need to worry about E levels?
    It depends. ;-) Since her blood panel showed normal E, will you continue to supplement with some amount of Vit E or discontinue? I'd be inclined to either stay with current supplementation of Vit E or switch over to the PP Vit E, as we know they work with together. I wouldn't discontinue Vit E supplementation altogether. Perhaps I'm not understanding your question, however. :-)

Uckele's E+SE 10X is a best buy and very absorbable, organic form. $70 per jar, 90 day supply!!!

Animed's Vitamin E & Selenium w/Zinc - excellent price , organic form

KER Kentucky Equine Research - Preserve organic selenium, Vit E and Magnesium very good combo that can resolve some other sensitivity issues.

chicamuxen