The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I don't like the 5 points either. Just don't like the look of them. I use a 3 point with shoulder elastic, and a running attachment.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Winding Down View Post
    That is the same style that I have, mine is just a different brand. By far, it is my favorite breastplate from a function and style perspective. It does the job and is not nearly as bulky as a five-point.

I use a polo style one since I haven't found a three-point that really fits my mare properly. I don't truly need one (and don't bother with it for schooling in the ring at home)... I just think it's good to have a little extra security for cross country.
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Quote Originally Posted by flypony74 View Post
    That is the same style that I have, mine is just a different brand. By far, it is my favorite breastplate from a function and style perspective. It does the job and is not nearly as bulky as a five-point.
    What brand is yours? That is what I have been looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by littlemess View Post
    What brand is yours? That is what I have been looking for.
    Mine is by Five Star Tack, fit and quality is fantastic.
    http://www.fivestartack.com/breastplates.html

I got it from Four Star Brand, an online tack shop....great customer service.
    http://www.fourstarbrand.com/product...e-breastplate/

For the 5-point, how about the fit? The picture of the 5-point in Dover's looked quite snug... too snug?

Quote Originally Posted by Winding Down View Post
    I like this one as well, but how would you attach it to a monoflap??

They're mobile, too! They set up shop at events in Area 6! Super nice people.

My saddle slips back and being new to eventing I went with the fashion and got a 5 point! It's a bit bulky, but it stops my saddle slipping.
    I thought it felt quite tight and that I'd bought one too small although its a full and my horse is only 15.3hh and young. But I guess they will tighten up if you saddle pulls back against it??

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    Just adjust the strap that goes to the billet a little longer, and slip it over the long billet

Mine is by Five Star Tack, fit and quality is fantastic.
    http://www.fivestartack.com/breastplates.html

I got a chuckle out of the fact that you bought a Five Star breast plate (ungfff their tack is so beautiful) from a company called Four Star. Anyone else, anyone? No, okay. I will chortle stupidly by myself.

I prefer a polo style elastic breastplate and a regular running martingale, same setup as YB. Hopefully soon I won't need the running, I'd prefer to go without it and just have the polo breastplate. I don't need the breastplate for slipping reasons, more for security, in case something malfunctions. I've been using a regular three point, though, up until I finally ordered a rubber stop for my regular running martingale.. last night.

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    I don't think I would use this type with a monoflap. I would just use a breastplate that attaches to the dees. (Although my trainer uses a 5 pt with her monoflap--I will have to dig up some pics).
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Actually on the link to the 5-star they show the 3 pt attached to a monoflap. I guess it is ok. but I would think it could put some pressure on the withers if the saddle slips.

Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

Here's a decent picture of my polo breastplate set up. This is a web one, with a martingale. I also have a solid leather one that I use for dressage or if I'm trying to look fancy (like for jumper shows or show jumping in formal attire). I don't use elastic on Toby since the elastic rubs him (I have a nice Nunn Finer polo breastplate with elastic that rubbing his shoulders raw).

And there's absolutely no reason you couldn't use one of those bridge breastplates (which I really like, btw) with a monoflap. It will totally work. Just needs a little adjusting to go a bit further down. I used a polo breastplate with a couple of different monoflaps, and I know I'm not the only one.

ake987, I totally giggled a little at that, too.

I prefer the 3-pt or polo-style breastplates, and in most cases I think they are adequate (to keep the saddle from slipping, to act as an oh S*** strap, etc). I do use a 5-pt on one horse who happens to have an unusual shape, and the saddle slips with a typical breastplate. I don't mind the look; it is more about convenience than anything.

I prefer the 3 pt elasticized. I first went with the elasticized and leather polo style Nunn Finer but it's too small for my horse's huge shoulders. So I got the three point Nunn Finer with martingale attachment and it's been great. I just bought a black Kentaur Eventer II monoflap though and switched to a black Prestige girth and 3 pt elasticized breast collar so am selling the two Nunn Finers if anyone is interested since they're brown. They're both used but in great condition, brown and horse sized. The 3 pt has the elasticized running martingale attachment; the polo style has the neck strap. PM me if interested. I actually like the Nunn Finer better than the Prestige. Roomier with more adjustability so will be on the look out for one in black.

This little Professional's Choice non-slip pad from Jeffers has been great for preventing saddle slippage: http://www.jefferspet.com/non-slip-p...PL-NS/cn/2403/ I've used it on both of my horses who are draft crosses with huge shoulders beneath both my dressage and jumping saddles and it does a fantastic job of keeping the saddle in place. Inexpensive too!
    Let us ride together; blowing mane and hair; careless of the weather; miles ahead of care...Fat Cat Farm Sport Horses

Anyone have experience if a 5 point helped with sideways slippage on a round drum of a horse? Moreso than a 3 point? Need a new breastplate soon and been trying to decide.
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com

Quote Originally Posted by VCT View Post
    Anyone have experience if a 5 point helped with sideways slippage on a round drum of a horse? Moreso than a 3 point? Need a new breastplate soon and been trying to decide.
    No idea about a 5 point but I used a regular hunting breastplate on my mare for that issue. She broke her (once shark fin) withers so I needed help in that department. I found it worked as well as anything and wouldn't think a 5 point would help any more.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by kcmel View Post
    Actually on the link to the 5-star they show the 3 pt attached to a monoflap. I guess it is ok. but I would think it could put some pressure on the withers if the saddle slips.

I use mine with a monoflap. Most of the bridge breastplates I see are used with monos. A traditional three-point is more likely to pull the saddle down on the withers based on the attachment points. The bridge connects in a more central area, providing a more central stalilizing point.

I haven't used a 5-point but between a 3 point (hunting) or polo I very much so prefer the polo style. The 3-point did seem to get tight at the top first, pulling the saddle down towards the withers. No amount of adjusting seemed to help. the polo style on puts pressure on the girth area so seems to keep the saddle in place much better.

I would really like to try a bridge one - I'll probably buy one of those next time... but I'm still rocking my Nunn Finer polo breastplate from about 15 years ago. Can't kill it!

1 members found this post helpful.