The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 5-point vs. 3-point breastplates

What do you guys use/prefer. I jump 3'6+ on a regular basis and have noticed some saddle slippage. The last few years I have been doing lower level hunter/jumpers but am ready to make the switch to eventing. I think investing in breastplate is probably a good idea before I start eventing more often. I know that 3-points are more typical with jumpers but at this point, I just want something that is practical and effective for both everyday and competition. My horse is built like thoroughbred.

Thanks in advance for any input you guys have.

I find 5points heavy and bulky. 3 point for me.
    AETERNUM VALE, INVICTUS - 7/10/2012

Neither. I prefer the polo type breastplate. 5 points are too busy and the 3 points don't stabilize where I want them to.

2 members found this post helpful.

Depends on the horse. I use a 3 point most of the time but some horses I use a polo type. I don't love the polo or 5-point because of the strap at the girth can sometimes be under my leg. I prefer a polo style instead of a 5 point as I just think there are two many straps to fit in a 5 point.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I bought into the 5-point trend, and hated it. Ended up selling it for 1/2 of what I paid. Also cleaning the sheep skin on a 5 point is a pain.

I like a 3 point or a polo. I hated the 5 point. Too much cleaning and too bulky.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

I use a traditional one. All those pieces of leather to properly fit & clean? No thanks. Amerigo makes a cool version I would love to have bartsville replicate for me...

1 members found this post helpful.

A five-point isn't bad on some horses, but they absolutely overwhelm my somewhat petite mare. I use a bridge breastplate which I have found to be just as effective, but a lot less bulk. Unlike a traditional three-point, the bridge connects at the billets which are a more central support point, versus pulling from the top and down on the horse's wither. I have the one from Five Star Tack and am very happy with it.

http://www.fivestartack.com/breastplates.html
    Last edited by flypony74; Nov. 11, 2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: dumb spelling mistake

I'm interested in seeing where this thread goes. I have a polo style for my Arab/QH and love it, but I use a running martingale with my TB so I've only had the three point style. I tried a fellow boarder's 5-point and my lord it was noisy!! I would definitely need to order one from Bartville with specific measurements as my TB is big, broad and has a shark fin wither. The breastplate/martingale I just purchased for him (Horze brand) I need to tinker with some more. I love the breastplate, but its a little snug across the shoulders, yet I think an Oversize would be too big.

I've always used a 3 point with elastic (from bartville) and have no intention of changing.
    Yes, I ride a pony. No, he's not a re-sale project...
    http://fancyponypants.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by runNjump86 View Post
    I'm interested in seeing where this thread goes. I have a polo style for my Arab/QH and love it, but I use a running martingale with my TB so I've only had the three point style. I tried a fellow boarder's 5-point and my lord it was noisy!! I would definitely need to order one from Bartville with specific measurements as my TB is big, broad and has a shark fin wither. The breastplate/martingale I just purchased for him (Horze brand) I need to tinker with some more. I love the breastplate, but its a little snug across the shoulders, yet I think an Oversize would be too big.
    I've used polo style and running martingales together for years. I do not like the martingale attachments to a breastplate as those are often too short.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Yes. I just put a standard running martingale over my breastplate. Some polo types are built to run a martingale through, but I don't love that design.

I have always liked the 3 point style with elastic. The polo ones just don't seem to move that well with the horse (I used them for polo, but that was polo!). I do find a friend's to be interesting- it is a true breast collar that is almost all elastic and just buckles to the D Rings with leather straps. Nothing goes over the horses neck. Doesn't give you an extra neck strap though!

3 point, adjustable with elastic. Have a nice one from 5-Star tack. Did replace the running attachment it came with - use a Tory running with elastic. Also quite liked http://shop.horseware.com/p/amigo-br...rds_pla&os=pla, although I subbed out the running for one with elastic on it as well. I add a neck strap to either of these (I forked out for the Bit of Britain leather neckstrap and really like it - my hands are small and stirrup leathers so on too big. Have dissected martingales in the past, but was out of them so easier just to buy the neck strap)
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I use a 3-point with elastic ... It does the job just fine and is less expensive and easier to clean.

Yes, all the cool kids have 5-points these days, but my saddle stays in place perfectly well with my 3-point. And I can't figure out why anyone would want sheepskin attached to the leather they use on a cross country course ... It may be cushy and stylish but I find it to be enough work just wiping the mud off of smooth leather!

I have a 5 point, I actually like it, it does the job I need it too. I avoided getting one for the longest time because I didnt like the fleece or how bulky they seem to be.
    My horse has a lot of saddle slipping issues- just how he is-big withers etc.
    I have to use non slip stuff under his saddle pad and still got some saddle slippage with that and a normal breastplate. So, I finally decided to try a 5 point. I searched long and hard to find one that was less bulky and had no fleece and it looks nice, and does it's job.

I would think, if your saddle doesn't seem to move much, that you don't need a 5 point. My horse is a freak (his saddle fits him well, it just tends to slide back too much!)
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Dee Trrr View Post
    I've always used a 3 point with elastic (from bartville) and have no intention of changing.
    Me too. Black and brass for dressage, brown and nickel for jumping. I happen to think the 5-points are a major fad...
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

I use a 5 point for cross and a three point for SJ. I found the 5 point really helps when you have hilly courses and your saddle might slip back (like mine does). The 3 point did nothing to help me there, but the 5 point has.

BTW you can get 5 points on eBay super cheap.

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

Not being a smarty pants here but... why is the saddle slipping? Shouldn't that be addressed before adding extra tack?

I am a tack minimalist: less to clean.