The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2014 National Dressage Finals

All the reports out of Kentucky Horse Park have made me start daydreaming about next years ultimate goals. Had the USDF announced if there will be a national championship show next year, and if so, a location? It seems to have been a big success, so....

Same place next year - there was a lot of discussion on COTH about it - many of us on the West Coast a little miffed that it is staying in KY

So I did a little more searching and is the plan 3 years in Kentucky, then alternating coasts?

Same place next year - there was a lot of discussion on COTH about it - many of us on the West Coast a little miffed that it is staying in KY

Yes it seems it would be 'nice' to move it to Colorado at the very least in alternating years so that those of us closer to the sea lions and gila monsters could have a [better] chance of going (not myself because my job precludes it but I know of others in my neighborhood ).
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Some one on this board or the other actually said "Kentucky is in the middle of the country".

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    I'm in dressage mecca on the west coast and I hear no complaints.

If people want to go, they'll find a way...just like the QH, Morgan, and Arabian people who have to make the trip each year to Oklahoma.

Please, there's already one thread about this topic....can we just revisit that one ?
    -Amor vincit omnia-

3 members found this post helpful.

Many of the commercial shippers ran to it. Saw many there this weekend and many individual riders from close area found it better to pool together like that and ship opposed to individually making the trip. I also know this time of year there is a steady stream of transports with quality companies going south and north and both coasts on a regular at least twice a week basis

Quote Originally Posted by dfsaz View Post
    Some one on this board or the other actually said "Kentucky is in the middle of the country".
    Well, latitudinally speaking.
    Last edited by alicen; Nov. 11, 2013 at 07:58 PM.

Anyone know the dates???

Quote Originally Posted by dfsaz View Post
    Compared to New York and Florida, yeah, it's a lot closer to the middle. It is also the closest facility to the actual "middle" that could handle an event like this. Sure, St. Louis could if it had to but the classiness of the KHP makes it a no-brainer. Colorado weather is too unpredictable this time of year.. Nebraska, Kansas, North and South D, Arkansas, while that is the true "middle" I guarantee you'd all be begging to go back to Kentucky after one year.

Just a thought, I would LOVE to see them give Lamplight a try...

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

For curiosity's sake, what did it cost for those of you who showed at the nationals? Fees, travel, hotel, the works?

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFigs View Post
    For curiosity's sake, what did it cost for those of you who showed at the nationals? Fees, travel, hotel, the works?
    Drove 1600 miles. Haven't figured out the exact cost there. Some of the pumps did not give out receipts. Stall in the heated barn was $300; double that for a large stall. Tack stall same. Arrived a day early $65. Mat rental since the stalls have asphalt floors $50. Night check $50. Entry fees were $100 per championship class. Additional classes were $50. Can't remember office fee. Brought in some shavings but purchased others to the tune of 7 bags at $8 a bag. Rented a golf cart for $89.99 a day. Some days didn't seem like I really needed it other days it was a godsend. Hotel was 2 bedroom suite: $1200. Purchased tickets for myself and 2 additional people: Friday $50 and Saturday $225. Would not do the Saturday night dinner again. All in all it was an expensive trip but, I would do it again in a heart beat.

4 members found this post helpful.

How does a "horse park" charge $300 for a stall & have it be asphalt?

2 members found this post helpful.

The Arab SH Championships alternate locations, and I'm willing to bet they have equal or more participants. One year they were down in Boise, ID.

Personally, (cost aside), it alot harder on the HORSE who has to be hauled 3000 miles to compete than the one that is already in...say, VA.

They could have it in AZ...PLENTY of places like Scottsdale have the facilities.

3 members found this post helpful.

Warmer locations may have an advantage...did anyone notice it was 15 degrees the tues after the finals? Yeepers.... My wimpy west coast ponies wouldn't know what to do! It's still in the high 50s and mid 60s out west...

A
    Anne Howard, MPT
    American Sporthorse
    www.in-balance.com
    Watsonville, California

Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post
    How does a "horse park" charge $300 for a stall & have it be asphalt?
    I guess because they can. I'd really have liked the option of a 12x12 stall as the 10x10 was way small for my 17+ hand horse. The double stall was just not a possibility for me.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by high hat View Post
    I guess because they can. I'd really have liked the option of a 12x12 stall as the 10x10 was way small for my 17+ hand horse. The double stall was just not a possibility for me.
    Are these temporary stalls, or permanent ? Why were the stalls on asphalt ?
    -Amor vincit omnia-

I had no idea they were 10 × 10! See, that just SCREAMS rip off to me. Does anyone stable their horses in 10 ×10 asphalt stalls at home? Then why would we find this acceptable at a show that you're paying big bucks for? Regardless, people will go....it's pathetic & our horses deserve better!

thanks, high hat, for the rundown on costs.

All I can say is Yikes! A wonderful once-in-a-lifetime experience, but too rich for my pocketbook. Asphalt stalls, no less. What were they thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by high hat View Post
    Where were you stabled? Our stalls for the Kentucky National (Hunter/Jumper) were on asphalt but were good sized, not 10x10. I'm curious because September was my first trip and I'm not familiar with all the stabling options. The place is so big! lol