The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I'm in CA but willing to help out - he seems like a total sweetie - looking forward to an update with specifics regarding what's needed!

1 members found this post helpful.

OK one rambo flymask with shredded ear, and one cashel flymask with nose part cut off, should arrive Thursday via USPS.
    While Cloudy does not have the long WB head, he does have the "old fashioned" wide and convex head so these 2 flymask fit him and should fit the horse. He's just hard on flymasks as he hates them.

If they do not fit the horse, give them to the animal control or a rescue or use them if you can on your horses. P/C and H/P have their "new" rambos which have the bar that keeps them off of Cloudy's long lashes.

And sketcher in MA is always so nice to offer to keep horses. Actually, this horse would do well in MA if we could get him there.

Thanks all...today's visit went OK. They LOVED him but...need a little time to figure things out. They weren't LOOKING to get another horse. ..but totally agreed that he is super.

Someone else who I don't know is looking tomorrow. I can't be there. Gosh, I am getting pretty protective of this guy!! unfortunately with the ACC it is the first one to put money on the table...who 'qualifies' gets the horse...not as discerning about the best situation for him...though I don't want to be overly critical...they are pretty caring...just rules is rules.

So happy to hear that people are interested in him. SO happy.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Really keeping fingers crossed that this guy finds a perfect new forever home soon!!!
    Bolter Bolter Bolter!!

Curious if anyone found out the history of this horse from the person who said they know him. I am about an hour and 15 minutes north of ACC. I am looking for a horse that could be suitable as a lesson horse with some schooling and getting back in shape. I would love to hear more about him!

Zeus is prob. 18 not 14 as listed though it is apparently hard to tell accurately...that's my guess.

Frankly, I'd rather see this horse with one owner and light/moderate riding, no jumping. He has a few issues. He had an old leg? injury - it shows up as a swollen ankle with scar tissue . He is a little weak behind perhaps due to no work for a couple of yrs since Long Shot worked with him. Seems he may have had an injury to the sacrum/ileum area - not unusual for jumpers. He does have an unusual 'sunken anus' and the horizontal 'ligament' under is uneven - larger on one side indicting uneven use? or maybe it is something else?? Whether this is related to back or hind leg - not sure. Don't think it really affects him. He prob. has some arthritis ( who doesn't).

His flexions are good, he is balanced well and he is light and responsive. He did 'react' very, very slightly to some of the flexing, poking and prodding whether it 'hurt, might have been annoying or he was concerned about the 2 little kids underfoot, the pig and 23 cows in the pasture or possibly getting bitten by the gelding sticking his head out while Zeus was on cross ties...who knows. but nothing particularly worrisome to me. The video shows no problems. He is super willing, kind, well trained and a perfect gentleman. He walked right by the cows no problem.

He apparently was with a big name trainer early on in life...as a jumper or H/J ( my guess)...perhaps before or until his injury. Bought by and was with the same owner for a long time and then there is a strange story as to how he ended up with 3 others being seized...absent owner? caretaker not taking care? whatever, he deserves better.

So, would he make a lesson horse? I couldn't say whether he'd hold up and stay sound and out of pain...attitude wise? yes

What a handsome hottie! I wish I lived closer to take him! Fingers crossed he gets out!

Default UPDATE- Zeus gone to a rescue

They came with a trailer and left with a wonderful horse. They have experience dealing with summer sores and weren't worried about his other issues.

He went to PeacefulRidge in Davie and already someone is interested in adopting him.

In the meantime some good came out of it. A fund was set up at a local feed dealer and some donations came in. They will go to good use for the other critters there.
    Last edited by uphill; Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:11 PM. Reason: corrected name of rescue

Uphill, thank you for all your hard work to make sure this boy landed in a soft spot. Fingers and toes crossed that all will work out for Zeus!

GREAT NEWS!!!!!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."