The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 16.3 not 17.3 WB at PB ACC now GONE to RESCUE

There is a LOVELY 17.3h TBX or WBx at Palm Beach Animal Care and Control, FL. He is listed as 14 probably closer to 20. He came in thin and has a few issues like a big ankle, an extra bump on one hip bone and SUMMER SORES . They are in his eyes and on his er um...you know. They are hard to treat in FL...but he has been taken of the adoptable list because of this!! ??

There must be a situation for him! He is well trained, rideable appears sound and such a sweety! Have to find a solution in the next few days!!
    Last edited by uphill; Nov. 13, 2013 at 06:26 PM.

Isn't Pure Thoughts in that area? Sounds like it's up their alley.

Oh, wait. Wouldn't he qualify to go to Mill Creek?

6 members found this post helpful.

There have been a few threads on summer sores. I think, check me to be sure, that summer sores are caused by a parasite or bug and part of the treatment is simply worming the horse.

Here is an article:
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=1835

I would not be deterred from buying a horse with summer sores, but with the summer sores, his age, his ankle, and poor appearance he might have a hard time of it; I hope they have good luck finding a home for the poor guy.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post

Oh, wait. Wouldn't he qualify to go to Mill Creek?

meany!

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

1 members found this post helpful.

Pure Thoughts has too many horses and treating summer sores is big down here...it was discussed but...

He'd be a great husband horse for light riding for someone without too many horses . He really is VERY SWEET!!

PB ACC would not send him to MillCreek... because they KNOW a horse like him requires care that isn't available there. They would rather send him to heaven...but I think he's really way too nice for that, and therefore I have posted here. He has filled out and only a few ribs are showing. I don't think his useful days are over.

3 members found this post helpful.

I went to visit Zeus today. I taped him at 16.3 maybe 17 no shoes. His eyes are looking good just a little granulation in one I took pictures. His leg was wrapped but it was what looked like 'scratches' . It had looks of goop on it so I couldn't tell if it actually is a summer sore or just persistent scratches. Certainly nothing I would have taken him off the adoptable list for!

He has an extra knob on one hip bone but doesn't appear to affect anything. His leg with the 'summer sore' was stocked up a bit? ...or just a slightly larger ankle...again, without xray, I'd say nothing that would make him LAME. He's about up to weight. He does have what looks like a summer sore on his henis.

I really think this is a VERY NICE HORSE and has a lot of useful life left in him. He just needs a little TLC to get over the boo-boos. One employee was working on his eyes, I was taking off his leg wraps and another employee was kissing on his nose. This was right after his pasturemate was turned out and he was alone in the barn...not a wrong step, not an anxious moment...he just stood like a rock loving the attention. Bet he was a well loved horse most of his life!

Anyone? I just can't believe they are considering putting him down!!! this is definitely a kill shelter...lots of nice dogs/cats get euth'd daily.

Don't know how to change title as he is 16.3-17h not 17.3!!

2 members found this post helpful.

http://www.worktoride.net/stage/

I know its a long shot but perhaps contact the work to ride program in PA.

I do believe they take in donated horses that might be suitable for their lesson program.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Go, Bentonbill!

any pix? I looked at PBC ACC and didn't find anything....

Dog - no pics on the site because they took him off the adoptable list!! They have a flyer with 4 riding pictures but I forgot to grab it when I left (after hours I leave a different way). The gal who took the pictures is out until Wed.

He is BIG BONED, handsome face, now in good weight, slightly visible ribs but not awful.. He is big bodied, his neck could be a little longer making me think cross, he is not PERFECTLY conformed but not bad. He is handsome but the best part is his mind and the fact that he is trained!

I'll go back tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Lynnwood, thanks for the link...I just thought about a program nearby and will contact them tomorrow. This is a 10 yrs younger 'Max' type. They don't get much history at ACC or at least they don't share it. His owner surrendered him and 3 others. She was out of the area and had been paying for their keep and let's just say didn't get her money's worth. I don't think she got to choose one and prob. couldn't afford the penalties, board, etc for all. so she surrendered rather than face animal cruelty charges ( apparently they felt she SHOULD have known the condition). Well, there is prob. more to it...

I just think the horse shouldn't be the loser here! 2 were adopted, one euthanized of the 4 and Zeus...well it's not looking good for him.

Uphill, I think I know this horse. I think I rode this horse three or four years ago. Will send you a pm with some pics.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

If it turns out to be the same horse, I can tell you guys this is a VERY nice horse, and was in a very BNT's program in his youth.

And if someone wants to take him on, I have a lot of history and background I'd be willing to share privately.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

6 members found this post helpful.

Fortunately the fly that causes summer sores is not all over the country. My horse had it two years ago, in FL, and after I bought him and brought him to MA, he was fine. I hope this guy finds a new home.

Uphill, bless you for working to bail this boy out and make sure he gets a chance at a life again. Fingers crossed for a safe and happy outcome.

Uphill, if you want to edit your title, hit the Edit button and then hit the Advanced button. Then you'll be able to edit the title.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

Really treating them isn't an expensive en-devour especially now that the temps are cooling down and the bugs should be fleeing.

Uphill if you wanted to donate to his treatment I think generic ivermec paste wormers can be found for a few dollars a tube this time of year. I'd worm him every 4 weeks for a few doses.

If need be PM me your address and I'll mail them a few.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Hi Uphill, it's Kristin from ACC. Rosemary has been the biggest person campaigning for the pulling of this horse from adoption. I have been arguing with her for days about the sores. He came in mid summer after months of ZERO care and only had one active summer sore on his hind leg. He has scars where others have obviously been but now since he's been with us they are cropping up all over. Go figure now since he gets a clean stall, regular baths, good food, and regular worming and now they are all over. I rode him and have pics and vids. He is a great guy who knows his stuff! I don't believe he should be euthanized over his summer sores.

3 members found this post helpful.

If he has been removed from the adoptable list what route does one take and what is there to be done to help him?

I'm likely too far away to adopt but would be willing to sponsor some treatment or adoption fee or something to help this guy find a soft landing. But what avenues are available?

I go back to work tomorrow as I was off for the holiday weekend. I will get back to this thread tomorrow with some update on what decisions have been made. The last I heard Friday he was going to be a special needs adoption but by the tone of the op that has changed. Uphill is a volunteer at the shelter and helps out a lot with the horses.