The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What size is your trailer?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll

59 50.43%

28 23.93%
  • 2+1

10 8.55%

16 13.68%

2 1.71%

0 0%
  • 7+

2 1.71%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What size is your trailer?

I had some down time on an uneventful day and was wondering what is "average". Thanks!

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Well, I couldn't vote twice, so I voted "2" even though we also have a 3h... But normally there are only two in there and we use the front stall with the stud wall to store hay, buckets, etc.

When I get a new trailer the way I want (open front area, no manger), I can haul both horses and Odie in front, so it would be a 3h also, right?
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a one.

But I think the most common is a 2-horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have two trailers- one is a 4 horse slant load with a living quarters and the other is a 16' gooseneck stock trailer with two 8' compartments. I could easily get four horses in that trailer as well.

3 horse GN with dressing room - perfect for us!

Quote Originally Posted by butiwantedapony View Post
    3 horse GN with dressing room - perfect for us!
    Love your name! I "LOL"ed

We have used for half a century plain, 16' stock trailers, BP for years, then GN.
    Those haul up to 4 horses.

We also had for a while a 2 horse BP to haul some horses to the track for longer distances.
    Could be pulled with a car also.

Horses and us prefer the stock trailer, especially GN, hands down.

Practically everyone here on the road competing with their horses uses slants.

I have two.

Trail-Et New Yorker.
    It's old and perfect! Tall (7'6") and wide stalls. With a dressing room.

Sundowner.
    8' tall, 8' wide. With living quarters.
    Reverse slant. Set up to haul three horses, or two horses an one carriage, or one horse and two carriages.

I'm very happy with both.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Have a stock trailer so would really depend on how much you wanted them squashed... I bet you could fit 4 if you had to evacuate.

Usually my mare rides loose by herself.

2H, slant, goose

Have a 2 horse. Looking at replacing it with a stockhorse and have a question for other stocktrailer owners would you go with a 16ft = 2 8ft compartments or 20ft = 2 10ft compartments? Thanks. Angelico hope you don't mind a small highjack of your thread.
    M
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from behind, or a fool from any direction

Quote Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
    Have a 2 horse. Looking at replacing it with a stockhorse and have a question for other stocktrailer owners would you go with a 16ft = 2 8ft compartments or 20ft = 2 10ft compartments? Thanks. Angelico hope you don't mind a small highjack of your thread.
    M
    Go for it, haha. Personally I'd go with the 16 with 8 ft compartments. I don't want them to have too much room to wander, I prefer just enough that they can turn around easily, but not walk back and forth. It discourages them from laying down and also moving too much in transit... Most horses anyways. I pulled a stock with two compartments forever, I loved it so much. I never had one I couldn't get loaded in that trailer, they love the openness.

Quote Originally Posted by Monarch View Post
    M
    Answered in the other forum, will copy it here:

16' is standard cowboy rig, that you can pull with most anything and bounce all over rutted dirt roads and pastures.
    Many here prefer single torsion axle, as it is easier to pull in mud and hard going.
    Single torsion axle is rougher riding, so if you are hauling a lot, you may still want double axle or you may end with some sore horses bouncing in there too long, other than down the highway.

If you are going bigger, you need a bigger pickup, no getting by with the lighter ones.

The bigger ranches have all kinds of trailers, the smaller ones get by with one 16'.

I had a 20' stock trailer and you definitely need a 3/4 ton or larger to haul it.

We have a 20 foot steel trailer and pull it with a one ton truck. We've had as many as nine in there but that was stuffed to the gills!

Thanks all it is helpful.
    M
    Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from behind, or a fool from any direction

Mine is a 3H slant with a "stuff" divider on the first stall and rear tack. I typically don't haul more than two, with the first stall being for hay, shavings, muck carts, tack trunks, etc. The first stall has an escape door so it is easy access even with horses on the trailer.

I've had two 2H straight loads and two 3H slants, and by far prefer the slants....the horses seem happier too.

1 horse Brenderup Solo, hauled by a Volvo XC90 SUV.
    Inese

Monarch- I love our 16' stock with the two 8' compartment. Ours is a GN with a "calf gate" separating the neck from the rest of the trailer so I can store my tack/ water/ emergency kit/ spare bale of hay up there and not have it fall out on the horses. Ours has a full gate with sliding door on both the rear and center dividers plus an escape door on the passenger side. Usually I only haul 1 horse in the rear compartment and set my tack in the front. If I were to change anything about the trailer I would have a small- maybe 2-3' shortwall- tack/ dressing room in the front. This trailer is large enough to haul a four horses and yet small enough to get in and out of smaller parking areas where I wouldn't want to go with our larger trailer. We do not have plexiglass inserts for our stock sides but have considered ordering them to be able to limit air flow, especially in the winter. We have haul everything from pigs to horses to furniture to lumber to livestock panels and gates in this trailer and love its' versatility. Not only that but it is all aluminum and we only paid $6500 for it. It should last the rest of our lives and if I could only own 1 trailer, this would be it!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    have a 3h... But normally there are only two in there and we use the front stall with the stud wall to store hay, buckets, etc.
    Amen and hallelujah to this sister. We do the same with a 4H slant. Love the storage space - couldn't do without it anymore. Where would you put all those things? Hay bales, feed & tubs, water buckets, shavings, washrack supplies, a hose, mucking supplies, we've carried a small frig to use at stabling, a small grill etc.

I have a 4H slant with a weekender pkg. It has ended up being the world's biggest 2 horse trailer! Had to take a divider out to make the big guy happy . Took the tack corner out now have the 1.5 size stall behind.

I'd love to have a 2+1 but .... my trailer's long paid for and importantly has an insulated DR+ with AC. Adding that to a 2+1 puts it way out of my finances. Storage is A#1 for me -- makes it so easy to quickly go places. And the insulation keeps the clothing and tack safely dry, never any mildew issues. Just cheaper to keep what I've got and we configured it to suit us.
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers