The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse keeps pulling eye hook out of concrete wall

Hi everyone,

My big baby keeps pulling the eye hook out of the concrete wall where his hay net is attached to. We have a nylon slow-feeder net which holds 1-2 flakes, and I used a carabiner type clip or lobster claw type clip attached to the eye-hook. The holes are pre-drilled and we've tried using the inserts that grab more purchase into the wall (screw-in type). Aside from drilling into the wall (which may not be a possibility), does anyone have any suggestions? Or am I just going to have to figure out how to drill into the wall? This horse has bent the metal hooks before and is STRONG. I don't have anything else to attach the hay net to.

Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions.

Hilti epoxy anchor and industrial eye nut.

Buy a new bolt, a new masonry drill bit and drill a new hole. Borrow or rent a hammer drill.

You can get really secure mounting into masonry, but you need to drill a hole exactly the size that the bolt's instructions request. A random sized old worn hole is not going to work.

You could buy something big and drill the existing hole bigger if you are worried about an extra hole.

1 members found this post helpful.

My guys used to 'spin' them out as they pushed the hay nets around. I finally drilled a 2nd hole and put another screw eye in at the same level about 2' away and tied the hay net up like a hammock. So far they haven't figured out how to mess that up.

Good luck.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Wow, all great suggestions!! I'll look into each one. Thank you!!!

Forget about hanging it and make a hay pillow out of the net if he is not shod. You just toss them in the stall and le them "graze"

Quote Originally Posted by arlosmine View Post
    Forget about hanging it and make a hay pillow out of the net if he is not shod. You just toss them in the stall and le them "graze"
    I would never do that. Even the ones made with nylon webbing and have impossibly small holes still have the opening at the top. Even if it's sewn up tight on all four edges, they're just a torn seam away from a problem.

I agree with keeping the slow-feeders up and clear of feet. Move to another wall if necessary.

Re: hay pillows: I use the small hole hay nets from Dover's.
    You take the string out, and use heavy duty threaded carabiners to close the opening. Nothing to get a lip caught in like a regular carabiner.

I have also done the following with success (horses had shoes on, so hay pillow was "out")
    Put a large water tank in the corner of the stall, or build a wooden corner hay "bunker" using 3/4" plywood. screw an eyebolt (with an exterior bolt and big washers on both sides) on the rear lower wall of the wood or tub. Clip slow feeder net to that. Horse can't get a foot in it unless they decide to stand in the feeder...(possible but unlikely), and it keeps the hay in one spot. Additionally, it's better for horses to eat from the ground.

I have IR horses and ponies, so have tried any permutations of slow feeding nets...sigh