The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does anyone have experience with TSC's Dumor forage products (hay chaff)?

I was looking to start a horse on the Standlee timothy forage, but my local TSC stopped carrying it and now just sells their Dumor brand. I have not seen a bag open, but through the plastic it looks like dusty brown hay loft floor sweepings :/

Has anyone tried these products, to report on quality?
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

OH, is that what happened to the Standlee? I feed the chopped hay to the senior pony. I feed it on the ground, not in a pan or bucket. It's a bit dusty, but it's hay bits, not really dust. He's doing very well on it, I can give him something that he can eat overnight.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    OH, is that what happened to the Standlee? I feed the chopped hay to the senior pony. I feed it on the ground, not in a pan or bucket. It's a bit dusty, but it's hay bits, not really dust. He's doing very well on it, I can give him something that he can eat overnight.
    Laura, you're feeding the Dumor product? Are you using the timothy or the alfalfa-timothy mix (or other)?
    *CrowneDragon*

I can only report on the alfalfa cubes. Like you, I had been feeding Standlee brand only to discover the Dumor brand in its place last time I went in. I was kind of disappointed and skeptical, but the cubes are bright green, not at all dusty, and soak up nice and fluffy. The old man gobbles them up.
    So the quality seems good in the alfalfa cubes. I have never fed the other forage products.

I feed the chopped hay- timothy. I use it to bulk out my horse's "soup" that she gets as a reward after working in winter. I find it very fine and dusty when dry, but it soaks up water nicely and she really seems to like it. It lasts a lot longer in my soup than a comparable sized bag of hay cubes did- fluffs up bigger I think.
    ~Former Pet Store Manager (10yrs)
    ~Vintage Toy Dealer (rememberswhen.us)
    Mom to : 1 Horse, 4 Dogs, 4 Cats, 1 Macaw, 6 (Former) Stepkids

It looks like the sweepings off of the barn floor; it tastes like the sweepings off of the barn floor; and it smells like the sweepings off of the barn floor. Dumors is not good!

And if you wet the Dumors, it turns to sludge, with what appears to be sand in it. Reminds WBs of that story years ago where in a cigar factory in Tampa, the floor sweepings were collected and put into the cigars made there.

Go buy some chopped forage from Lucerne farms and see the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
    It looks like the sweepings off of the barn floor; it tastes like the sweepings off of the barn floor; and it smells like the sweepings off of the barn floor. Dumors is not good!

And if you wet the Dumors, it turns to sludge, with what appears to be sand in it. Reminds WBs of that story years ago where in a cigar factory in Tampa, the floor sweepings were collected and put into the cigars made there.

Go buy some chopped forage from Lucerne farms and see the difference.
    The only forage available here is Dumor. We used to have Standlee. I can pay $35 a bag and drive 30 miles to get Triple Crown.
    No one around here (but me) buys this stuff.
    I guess I'll have to buy a bag and try it myself, but my expectations are low. Wetting it isn't an option; I'm adding this to my geldings feed to get him to clean up his feed better. He likes soaked hay cubes, but they're a hassle for the feeders. I'm looking for something that can be added straight to his pre-made grain bags.
    We'll see.
    Last edited by CrowneDragon; Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:59 PM. Reason: typo
    *CrowneDragon*

Update: Don't bother!!!!

I picked-up a bag of the timothy-alfalfa forage tonight. The product is terrible. The hay is not chopped uniformly and there are a lot of long, coarse stems, in addition to a lot of dust. More worrisome than that was that in the first handful I pulled out, I found a wad of torn up baling twine AND a rock. As I worked through the bag I found clumps of dirty molasses. This is not feedable. It IS trash leftovers.
    *CrowneDragon*

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't feed bagged forage (though I did try Lucerne once a long time ago, VERY nice stuff), but had to write how awful and appalling that they literally bagged the floor sweepings and sold it on. I would be incensed. I am incensed on your behalf. If the HQ's were in driving distance I'd march right to the offices and dump the bag of trash on the CEOs desk. How horrible.
    Just because you’re afraid, doesn’t mean you’re in danger. Just because you feel alone, doesn’t mean nobody loves you. Just because you think you might fail, doesn’t mean you will.

TSC is no longer carrying Standlee products?? GAH! I hope this is not nationwide because my horse refuses to eat Triple Crown's brown alfalfa* cubes!

*I was told they were alfalfa and then finally looked at the bag when he refused to eat them. They are "forage cubes" - so for all I know it is grass from my yard cubed

Quote Originally Posted by buck22 View Post
    I don't feed bagged forage (though I did try Lucerne once a long time ago, VERY nice stuff), but had to write how awful and appalling that they literally bagged the floor sweepings and sold it on. I would be incensed. I am incensed on your behalf. If the HQ's were in driving distance I'd march right to the offices and dump the bag of trash on the CEOs desk. How horrible.
    I sent an e-mail to the TSC customer service account. We'll see if I get response. I have the lot # and saved the trash, so I would hope that they would be very interested to get on top of this issue. If they don't, I have no faith in their products at all.

Quote Originally Posted by awaywego View Post
    TSC is no longer carrying Standlee products?? GAH!
    I have no idea if they are phasing out all of the Standlee stuff, or only some of it. They still have multiple types of Standlee pellets at my local store, but the alfalfa cubes and the forages have been replaced by Dumor
    *CrowneDragon*

I was warned that the Standlee bags will look different in the coming months by my TSC manager, while I was standing there with egg on my face because I'd been so sure that Standlee didn't make a tim alf cube - which they do.

Here's the Standlee website with the new bags - not sure I like them but I guess they are cheaper than having so many color coded ones. http://standleeforage.com/product-formats

I hadn't seen the chopped forage till LauraKY mentioned it to me, and now the few bags they had are gone with only Dumor left. TSC had done this in the past, maybe two years ago, they switched from Standlee to another product that was much wispier, (and cheaper) but I don't think they got good customer feedback.

If you wet the cubes and let them dry on a cookie sheet in the kitchen overnight they will fluff up into a close approximation to the chopped forage, FWIW. Yes. I tried it and I am nuts.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

We warmbloods told you so, OP. While we are usually gourmands, even we who eat just about anything do not eat that stuff. Find out what feed in your area provides some of the Lucrene Farms chopped forages. They are very good.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

The TSC guy here told me that Standlee produced the Dumor forages for TSC. Guess after they put the decent stuff in their named product, they sweep the floors for the Dumor.

I've quite using TSCfor alfalfa cubes because all of their stuff is in 40 lb bags now.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

This is the reply I received this afternoon:

"Thank you for visiting the Tractor Supply Company website. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. We have forwarded this to our Associate Buyer to review this. We appreciate your feedback and the time you have taken to contact us. Again, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to contact us at 877-718-6750. Our regular operating hours are Monday through Saturday, 7:00AM CST to 8:00PM CST and Sunday 8:00AM CST to 7:00PM CST"

Not sure that I'll hear anything else. I will update if I do.
    *CrowneDragon*

If they phase out their compressed alfalfa bales from Standlee I will have a fit.

I can't get decent alfalfa in my area, at least none that I can find. My TB gelding is super picky and I rely on the stuff to mix with his regular hay so he eats it well.

I mean, I will seriously have a fit.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

2 members found this post helpful.

I searched for a thread like this because I just bought a bag of the Dumor chopped hay and it is so dusty that it looks like it is smoky when I handle it. I will be dumping it out.
    When I pull on my boots, I know who I am

Dag nab it, I have a 35 year old toothless skinny horse that has been doing well on sentinel performance, rice bran pellet and hay pellets but her main staple has been Standlee mini cubes soaked from tsc. I haven't been able to get the mini cube so wound up switching to the regular alfalfa cubes, now what?This explains why I wound up having to buy alfalfa/oat cubes the last time I was in tsc.
    I can't stand tsc, they never have what I need out here, they run out of my feed, they run out of my pellets, they trained me to always buy 3 bags of something and get feed when I'm ready to open the 3rd bag. I've tried chopped hays of a variety of brands and old girl will only eat soaked cubes. Whenever I go to my local tsc, I never get a straight answer about what's going on with their feed.
    I love the old thing, she was my horse and then my grandsons horse, I have a southern states but they don't carry cubes. I just managed to get 100 lbs back on her for winter. I think I'll go to tsc tomorrow and buy the rest of their cubes.

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    If they phase out their compressed alfalfa bales from Standlee I will have a fit.
    TSC has discontinued the compressed alfalfa bales in my area too. As in totoally out a few weeks ago and I was told they won't be ordering any more. They were the draw for me to go to their store and pick up other things as I can get everything else more cheaply elsewhere which I now will. Does TSC have a clue what their customers want? With the exception of their pelleted hoof supplement, Dumor products suck!

Quote Originally Posted by yellow-horse View Post
    Dag nab it, I have a 35 year old toothless skinny horse that has been doing well on sentinel performance, rice bran pellet and hay pellets but her main staple has been Standlee mini cubes soaked from tsc. I haven't been able to get the mini cube so wound up switching to the regular alfalfa cubes, now what?This explains why I wound up having to buy alfalfa/oat cubes the last time I was in tsc.
    I can't stand tsc, they never have what I need out here, they run out of my feed, they run out of my pellets, they trained me to always buy 3 bags of something and get feed when I'm ready to open the 3rd bag. I've tried chopped hays of a variety of brands and old girl will only eat soaked cubes. Whenever I go to my local tsc, I never get a straight answer about what's going on with their feed.
    I love the old thing, she was my horse and then my grandsons horse, I have a southern states but they don't carry cubes. I just managed to get 100 lbs back on her for winter. I think I'll go to tsc tomorrow and buy the rest of their cubes.
    Complain to corporate, and complain vigorously. I did, we have a new manager and he makes sure things are stocked now. Rarely run out of the dog food I buy (4Health). They did stop stocking the mini cubes,but mine carries the alfalfa/timothy cubes which seem to fall apart really quickly when soaked. Mine also still has the compressed hay bales.

Don't think one person can't make a difference. I also complained to Kroger corporate (again vigorously...to the CEO on down) about leaving food out in the aisles un-refrigerated for very long periods of time while restocking.

The manager of the store just stopped me to tell me that they've changed the practice in all of their 2,000+ stores. There's now a time limit (30 or 45 minutes, can't remember) that food can be out of the freezer and there's a temperature gauge on every pallet to make sure the temp doesn't drop below a safe level.

One person can make a difference. Just be nice about it. Point out why it might be in their best interests to make changes.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant