The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I am officially crazy and can share this here b/c most of you understand the sickness

So, I have sort of been looking for another horse, not really sure why, other than I have had an empty stall since August. I don't really need another horse, but with all of these canter, new vocations, facebook sites, I am inundated with OTTB's ready for their next career.

I told my friend and instructor, LAZ, to keep an eye out for something perfect, but no rush...and yet, I kept inundating her in box with horses.

Then I started thinking, do I really want another OTTB right off the track, maybe the next one should come from someone else that has already given him down time and evaluated him...I am an adult ammy, and not getting any younger, so not sure I am prepared to take on another one so fresh...

Anyway, within 48hrs of seeing a new canter listing - I am having a horse vetted and I am not sure if I want to squeal or panic - I don't need another horse...but yet I am having one vetted...it's a sickness and I am crazy!!

Just tell me I am not alone... :-)
    Last edited by Hollywood; Nov. 1, 2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: title change

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post

I don't need another horse...but yet I am having one vetted...it's a sickness and I am crazy!!

I swear we all need a tshirt made that says:

I DON'T need another horse ...

I don't NEED another horse ....

I don't need ANOTHER horse ....

... well allright how much do you want for the damn thing?
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

11 members found this post helpful.

'Tis the season at LAZ's place apparently. I am staying away, it might be contagious! Some really beautiful new partners are showing up in her barn recently!

Congratulations! You always need a new horse!

In the same boat. The race trainer I got mine from is always listing these new and amazing prospects and it is sooooo tempting, even though I can just barely afford the one I have!!!! One day when I have my own farmette I am going to turn into a crazy old lady horse hoarder.

2 members found this post helpful.

You are NOT alone.

I do NOT need another horse. Really.

I do not have time to devote to my Princess Pony that I already have. I have a day job, a side business, and damn -- right now, I'm trying to sell an extra vehicle. I do NOT need to be looking at horses.

But, would you look at this?!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	face compare.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	28.9 KB 
ID:	38957

The horse on the left is my precious Buzzmonster, who, though he's been gone since 2008, I still miss every day.

The horse on the right is an adorable 3 year old OTTB that is looking for a home. They have breeding in common, he is the same size as Buzzy, and sounds as if he has the same personality. And this little guy has retired sound.

I. Want. This. Horse.

A LOT.

Do you guys want to talk me out of it, or should we just form a group where we support each other?!

I'd also like to stay married. Which might be in jeopardy if I brought him home.

But, but, but -- how could I not?!

Sigh.
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bensmom View Post
    Do you guys want to talk me out of it, or should we just form a group where we support each other?!.
    Did you seriously just ask that question on COTH? Seriously?!
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

8 members found this post helpful.

Oh, mostly I'm looking for you guys to marvel at how the resemblance to Buzzy is uncanny and that I will hate myself forever if I don't go get him.

You know, the usual.
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bensmom View Post
    I'd also like to stay married. Which might be in jeopardy if I brought him home.

But, but, but -- how could I not?!

Sigh.
    Tell your husband that I am headed to buy some more soap so that you can get this guy. You need each other!

8 members found this post helpful.

I didn't NEED the new guy at my house either, I have to convince myself to not even look at the horses on sites. Its bad for my budget. :-)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by IFG View Post
    Tell your husband that I am headed to buy some more soap so that you can get this guy. You need each other!
    ^^Perfect^^

Bensmom, you totally have to go get this guy, or at least go meet him and see if he talks to you. It all too coincidental to ignore.

I sent the video of the horse I am looking at to my husband while he was at work..that way I didn't have to see his reaction in person.

When he got home I asked him if he watched the video I sent him, he said "no"...I think he was hoping that would be end of story...well, I told him to pull it up while I was standing there, he did, and I was like "what do you think?" He just looked at me with a smile and said - "What should I say? You are going to do what you want and if I say NO, will it matter?"

:-)

12 members found this post helpful.

I saw the title of this thread and thought, "this is something I need to read", then I saw you were the OP. Ha! Well, as you well know, you and I are in the same boat right now. Sensibly speaking, I don't need another horse either, but when has sense ever factored into our horsey decisions?

You're right, it's a sickness and as I said before, one that's destined to keep us in the poor house. Resistance is futile (as Marky obviously knows).
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

3 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=Hollywood;7243010 I told him to pull it up while I was standing there, he did, and I was like "what do you think?" He just looked at me with a smile and said - "What should I say? You are going to do what you want and if I say NO, will it matter?"

:-)[/QUOTE]

I think that response is actually a recording. I got exactly the same when I showed my DH a picture of a rescue Corgi.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

2 members found this post helpful.

^^Perfect^^

Bensmom, you totally have to go get this guy, or at least go meet him and see if he talks to you. It all too coincidental to ignore.

I sent the video of the horse I am looking at to my husband while he was at work..that way I didn't have to see his reaction in person.

When he got home I asked him if he watched the video I sent him, he said "no"...I think he was hoping that would be end of story...well, I told him to pull it up while I was standing there, he did, and I was like "what do you think?" He just looked at me with a smile and said - "What should I say? You are going to do what you want and if I say NO, will it matter?"

:-)
    Hey! at least he was smiling!!! So , Go!!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

^^^^mine smiles too, but I think that's because he has learned if he says 'no' then come hell or high water I'm gonna get what I want... If he seems amenable to the idea I usually talk myself out of it! Dang, he's getting smart!

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    Hey! at least he was smiling!!! So , Go!!!
    And last night he was helping me figure out a barn name...prehaps some reverse psychology going on here.

The vet check didn't happen yesterday, so should happen tomorrow.

So, I have sort of been looking for another horse, not really sure why, other than I have had an empty stall since August. I don't really need another horse, but with all of these canter, new vocations, facebook sites, I am inundated with OTTB's ready for their next career.

I told my friend and instructor, LAZ, to keep an eye out for something perfect, but no rush...and yet, I kept inundating her in box with horses.

Then I started thinking, do I really want another OTTB right off the track, maybe the next one should come from someone else that has already given him down time and evaluated him...I am an adult ammy, and not getting any younger, so not sure I am prepared to take on another one so fresh...

Anyway, within 48hrs of seeing a new canter listing - I am having a horse vetted and I am not sure if I want to squeal or panic - I don't need another horse...but yet I am having one vetted...it's a sickness and I am crazy!!

Haha I'm in exactly the same boat. Adult amateur of a certain age, and I have a perfectly lovely gelding who is easy and damn near made.

And I now have a mare who is supposed to be delivered from Finger Lakes tomorrow.

I blame it on empty nest syndrome. Or hormones. Or something.
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy
    Stash

Quote Originally Posted by 2bayboys View Post
    Haha I'm in exactly the same boat. Adult amateur of a certain age, and I have a perfectly lovely gelding who is easy and damn near made.

And I now have a mare who is supposed to be delivered from Finger Lakes tomorrow.

I blame it on empty nest syndrome. Or hormones. Or something.
    ^^Love this!^^

Awesome, you made me feel better! I can't blame mine on empty nest unless an empty stall counts! But definitely possible its hormones or something else:-).

So, curious, what mare - I've seen several listed lately. Best of luck with her!

Oh, my friend, how can you walk away from fate. When my mare died I was heartbroken, lost, scared, and I had more space in my field..... It didn't last long. I was till heartbroken and for sure no one could take her place, but the field now is back to the normal number and I have a lovely new horse that I didn't need but love none the less. It is simply a sickness that one shouldn't look for a cure for. I hope the vetting goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by pony grandma View Post
    I swear we all need a tshirt made that says:

I DON'T need another horse ...

I don't NEED another horse ....

I don't need ANOTHER horse ....

... well allright how much do you want for the damn thing?

Yeah...like you don't need another potato chip or chocolate candy!!! Can you spell ADDICTION?? And we never outgrow it either!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

^^Love this!^^

Awesome, you made me feel better! I can't blame mine on empty nest unless an empty stall counts! But definitely possible its hormones or something else:-).

So, curious, what mare - I've seen several listed lately. Best of luck with her!
    The mare Rustler should be arriving at my barn some time today.

Her dam is closely related to an incredible mare I had nearly 20 years ago, so I couldn't help myself. Right??
    "Can you imagine what I would do if I could do all I can?" Sun Tzu, The Art of War
    Rainy
    Stash